Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT"- Updated 10/17

Ok guys:

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: In a fishing application, DO NOT attempt to use the "minimum" specification as your cranking battery!!! You must add capacity for every electrical device in or attached to your boat!

950+ CCA (950 CCA or higher) is strongly recommended.

See this link for:
    Almost anything you ever wanted to know about Batteries or Chargers

This data was provided by Mercury Marine's R&D Department.

Although these batteries were tested for use with the Verado Engines, their superior Reserve Capacity Ratings would make them an EXCELLENT choice for Optimax or EFI engines used in a Bass Application!

The batteries listed are ALL AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries, and were required to meet at least one of the following ratings:

-1000 MCA
    -800 CCA
    -180ah*, or meet the 135-RC 25 Capacity Rating.

*For Optimax models, this rating would be 105ah (and this rating is SELDOM used in the US- recommend using CCA Ratings).

Batteries were tested to ensure that they "met" their advertised capacities also.

All of the batteries listed are heavy- and they are not cheap. However... if you want something you can depend on... a wise investment!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Testing and information courtesy of Mercury Marine Research & Development)

-Odyssey PC1500, PC1700, PC2150 and PC2250.
    -Optima Group 31
    -West Marine Sea Volt Group 31 AGM (Edited due to change in capacity of Grp 27).
    -Cabela's (X900-31 (New Addition to list)) **
    -Batteries Plus X2Power BCI Group 31M (SLI31AGMDPM) **
    -Odyessy
    31M-PC2150 **
    -Trolling Thunder TT1175 and TT1370.
    -Excide Megacycle (Mercury Brand) MC-31 and XMC-31.
    -Deka Sea Mate/Intimidator 8A31DTM.

** Batteries listed in BLUE have been added to the list to update new information (since original publishing of data).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although these batteries were tested for use with the Verado Engines, their superior Reserve Capacity Ratings would make them an EXCELLENT choice for Optimax or EFI engines used in a Bass Application!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

STRONGLY RECOMMEND the installation of a CLAMP-STYLE battery terminal on most of these batteries. This gives you a THREADED connection, that is CLAMPED to the largest/strongest connection point the battery has to offer (and often prevents MANY problems that can creep up down the road).

Example:

Make ALL connections to the terminal as described below:

Battery terminal connections should be installed ENGINE CABLE FIRST, remaining lugs "Largest to Smallest", and finish off the connection with a Stainless Locknut (do NOT use wing-nuts).

BEFORE INSTALLING A NYLOCK NUT ON A BATTERY TERMINAL
    :
    IT SHOULD BE PRE-THREADED ONTO A SUITABLE BOLT FULLY, AND REMOVED FROM THE BOLT (to ensure nylock is pre-threaded, and no abnormalities exist in the nut).

Failure to follow this step MAY result in damage to the threaded terminals inside the battery
    (and subsequent intermittent or total failure of the battery to charge or perform properly).

Updated October 11, 2017 with Additional Info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-11-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 44 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (EuropeanAM)

Don, thank you for posting this information. I sure appreciate ALL you folks who are contributing your time and expertise to these forums. Have a GREAT holiday!

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (jbh3)

U DA Man Don..

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.

were the cabelas off by much? I plan on buying some of these soon, maybe.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (bass boss)

No exact test data... just the statement that "they did not meet the label capacity when initially tested".

They did, apparently, still meet the "engine requirements".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 44 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

I am a bit confused by OPTIMA batteries in that the reserve capacity rating on them is much lower than practically everything else the same size. I have read several times in magazines like BASS and WALLEYE BOATS that it is the RESERVE CAPACITY of a battery that is more expensive to manufacture and a better indicator of a batteries quality than its MCA or CCA rating . The OPTIMAS are very expensive and yet have low comparable reserve capacity . I would appreciate an informed response as to what exactly makes OPTIMAS a good investment when their reserve capacity is dismal in comparison to almost every other brand!!!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (canadablazer)

You'll note that "only one" of the Optimas is listed... for the very reason you bring up.

You're totally correct in assuming that reserve capacity is important! It's JUST as important as CCA or MCA... in that a battery needs to be able to WITHSTAND a load for a reasonable period of time.

Make sure you're looking at the Group 31 battery in an Optima...

8. Member

Still a bit confused as to what makes OPTIMA batteries so good. I checked out OPTIMAS own website and it does not even list a Group 31... I went to GOOGLE and finally found some specs on the OPTIMA group 31 from some retailers and came to find that the group 31 OPTIMA only has 155 mins reserve capacity; similar to most group 24. I have not yet found a single group 31 or even group 27 deep cycle of any other brand that has less than 160 mins reserve capacity; with the norm being 180-205 to a high of 280 mins reserve capacity. This indicates to me that the OPTIMAS are dismal in this regard. What other criteria would make them so good or are they really NOT that good as the lower than every other brand reseve capacity would indicate ???

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Cranking amps.

10. Member

I found a battery that is lighter and has 280 mins reserve capacity and 1000 MCA for less $ than any of the mentioned batteries. It is called BIG RED...

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

As long as "Big Red" actually tests within those specs, you're good!

(Don't just trust a sticker with "specs" on it)........

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by canadablazer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found a battery that is lighter and has 280 mins reserve capacity and 1000 MCA for less $ than any of the mentioned batteries. It is called BIG RED...</TD></TR></TABLE>
    who makes these. I googled big red and cant find them.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s

13. Member

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (bass boss)

Trans Canada Batteries... check out http://www.batteriesexpert.com --- You will need to click on batteries then marine then heavy duty deep cycle . then scroll down until you find the Group 31 deep cycle BIG RED with 280 mins. reserve capacity , 1000 MCA and 140 AH . They are less than $ 200.00 cnd and weigh 67 lbs.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

From the specifications- that would be a GREAT battery for Canadian users (I wasn't able to find a US outlet on their website)....

15. Member

are the cabellas 24 a good battery or not for starting? I run a gambler and I can only fit a 24 in the space

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (flippedout)

If you're speaking of their Item# IK-016446 24 series AGM Battery... their listed capacities will suit for an Optimax Engine.

17. Member

THANK YOU DON, I HAVE A 519 RANGER W/ 200OPTI PLUS MY LOWRANCE LCX 28HD AND 510C. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT BATTERIES TO RUN ALL OF THESE THINGS EFFICIENTLY. THIS HAS HELPED ME TREMENDIOUSLY. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!

18. Member

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (bigdog70810)

Hey Mike(canadablazer) just picked up 2 of the big reds for the trolling motor. I also went with there group 29 for the cranking battery. 179.99 for the group 31's and 154.99 for the group 29. There group 29's have a higher rating and capacity then my exide group 31's which worked fine for that application so I went with them. MCA was 845, 120 AH, 260RC at 20A ad 210RC and 25
    Note: just realized this is under the 3.0 litre forum. Using the group 29 to turn over a 2.5 efi for your info.

2015 Lund 1775 Impact Sport
    115 Mercury Fourstroke
    80lb Terrova with I pilot

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" -This Just In! (alleycat)

Alleycat- no problems with a 2.5L here... you still need an adequate battery too!

20. Member
    Northstar batteries lightning series LS-3100 1500 marine cranking amps, 200 mins RC....I've got 4 in my boat, awesome batteries as well!!

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast