Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations Updated 1/16/2024

Please consult your owner's manual, or http://www.mercurymarine.com for the BEST recommendations on each of these items!

This list will be updated as additional information is requested- check it regularly for the most current information!

Oil:
    -These are the "top recommendations". Refer to your owner's manual for other oil specifications!
    -ALL EFI/CARB 2.4/2.5/3.0L (2-stroke) Engines: Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS
    -All STANDARD Optimax (75-250): Mercury or Quicksilver DFI/Optimax Oil
    -ALL ProXS Models: Optimax/DFI Oil. Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS is acceptable, but Optimax/DFI oil is RECOMMENDED due to a better additive package to help combat carbon deposits.
    -ALL Racing/XS Models: Mercury Racing 2 Cycle Oil pn. 92-8M0078011, Mercury Racing Gear Lube pn. 92-8M0078015. Premium Plus oil may be used as alternative ENGINE oil.

- (Note..... there was some conflicting information on Merc's Website- follow this recommendation for the latest information as it's released!)

NOTE: Mercury/Quicksilver Optimax/DFI oil, and Mercury/Quicksilver Premium PLUS are totally compatible with each other. Although you should use the CORRECT oil, you can switch to the recommended Optimax/DFI oil, simply by adding the correct oil to the tank.

NEVER MIX MERCURY RACING OIL WITH OTHER OILS IN THE REMOTE TANK!!!!

Battery
    :

-MINIMUM 950 CCA for a Fishing Application (the engine ALONE requires 800 CCA). Use Stainless Steel Lock nuts (don't use wing-nuts).
    -IF you have a lot of accessories you are running, KEEP IN MIND that this specification is for the ENGINE CRANKING BATTERY. You will need to INCREASE the battery specification to provide adequate cranking capacity based on your accessories being run!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BATTERY RECOMMENDATIONS:

In a fishing application with today's electronics/pumps/graphs, I strongly recommend a MINIMUM of 950 CCA capacity for the cranking battery.

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT" - Reserve Capacity Monsters!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spark Plugs:
    -QL77CC (Champion) for 3 Liter EFI's (XB models or 2001 and EARLIER: .035" / All 2002-> Down-draft intake models: .040")
    -IZFR5G (NGK)@ .032-.033" for Standard Opti's 135-225HP, 2001 200XS, and 200 ProXS PRIOR TO Serial Number#1B912786***
    -IZFR5J (NGK) @.032-.033 for 75-115 Opti's
    -IZFR6J (NGK)for 150/175/200 ProXS (200 ProXS Serial #1B912786-up) & 225-250 ProXS and Racing XS Motors
    -2006 & prior ProXS: .032-.033"
    -2007 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS)
    - 2007 & up 225-250 XS/ProXS can use NGK- IZFR6J (gapped to .042-.044") OR IZFR6J-11 (pre-gapped, currently a "factory only" plug)
    -2007 & up 225 ProXS: .042-.044" (IZFR6J)
    -175 ProXS: .042-.044" (IZFR6J)
    *** 200 ProXS Models manufactured PRIOR TO 2/1/12 utilize IZFR5G(NGK) Plugs.
    *** 200 ProXS Models manufactured AFTER 2/1/12 (Serial Number 1B912786 and later) will utilize NGK- IZFR6J (gapped at .042-.044") due to production changes in the engines.

-IZFR7M (NGK) for 300XS: .032-.033" (Updated by Don 1/16/2024)

IMPORTANCE OF PROPER SPARK PLUG GAP:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=5854738/

-All models- MAXIMUM ETHANOL CONTENT: 10%. Ethanol content may adversly affect engine performance.
    -See "Mercury's View of Ethanol" on Sherm's board at:Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel
    -Standard Opti's (ALL) 87 Octane MINIMUM.
    -Standard 2-stroke Carb/EFI Models: 87 Octane MINIMUM.
    -XS, XB or Racing PRIOR to 2006- CONSULT OWNER'S MANUAL! Most require High-Test!
    -ProXS and 250XS 2006-UP: 87 Octane MINIMUM. IF poor idle quality occurs, could can try 89 Octane (mid-grade) to see if quality improves.
    -300XS- Consult Owner's Manual. High Grade (minimum 91 Octane) fuel required!

Fuel Additive Recommendations:
    -Stabilize fuel ANYTIME fuel will not be consumed and replaced within 15 days!!!
    -Optis (ALL, including XS & ProXS): Quickleen in EVERY TANK OF FUEL. You CAN combine Mercury QuickCare or QuickStor Fuel System Treatment & Stabilizer with Quickleen. Use the recommended "dose" of each product per the bottle instructions. For anyone questioning Quickleen recommendation- see Service Bulletin 2001-12 (yes, it's been recommended since 2001!!!).
    -Quickleen may be used in ANY Mercury engine- it helps to prevent/remove carbon buildup (primary purpose).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Fuel/Air Pressures (Optimax)
    :

Two different pressure differentials are used:
    -75-115 3 cyl. and ALL XS Racing & 225-250 ProXS Motors (And the 250 Optimax) use 94/109 Air/Fuel Pressures (Fuel pressure equals air pressure + 15psi)
    -All other "standard" Opti's use 80/90 Air/Fuel Pressures (Fuel pressure equals air pressure + 10psi)
    -IF YOU HAVE NO AIR PRESSURE- YOU HAVE LITTLE OR NO FUEL PRESSURE. The fuel pressure is DIRECTLY relative to the AIR PRESSURE! So- if you have low or no fuel pressure, CHECK the air pressure, and check for AIR LEAKS before you start replacing fuel pumps!

*** Neat little "rule of thumb": If it has "gray" Direct injectors, Air/Fuel is 94/108 and it uses a spark plug that 'ends in J or M' *** (one motor exception- it had black injectors with a "white dot"- consider those to be "gray").

If the direct injectors are Black, Black with a Blue Dot, or Blue, the Air/Fuel is 80/90 and the spark plug probably ends with a "G".

If you find an error in this list, or think something should be added, you can IM me and I'll be glad to update as needed.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-16-2024 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Links Updated

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    2007 Nitro 929CDX, 225 Mercury Opti.
    Hummingbird Helix 10/1199 Lowrance 9/12 carbon/Ultrex

3. Member
    This is such great info! Thanks for taking the time to post!

4. Member
    Forgot to ask. I have used non ethanol gas exclusively so im wondering if i need to use Quickcare, Quickstor or any of the other Cocktails?
    Thanks.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havenman View Post
    Forgot to ask. I have used non ethanol gas exclusively so im wondering if i need to use Quickcare, Quickstor or any of the other Cocktails?
    Thanks.
    Yes. Your engine still requires Quickleen... and your fuel (whether or not it contains any ethanol) will benefit from additives that prevent degredation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Will do! Thanks Don.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info. ? on sparkplugs did not see my ngk's on the list. I have a 97 efi 200 serial # OG507892 and been running ngk bu8h plugs . Are these the correct plugs. Thanks Sean

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metal shop View Post
    Thanks for the info. ? on sparkplugs did not see my ngk's on the list. I have a 97 efi 200 serial # OG507892 and been running ngk bu8h plugs . Are these the correct plugs. Thanks Sean
    Those would be the correct plugs for your engine (your engine is a 2.5L... so it's not listed in the 3.0L engine list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hey Don,

Isn't Marine stabil and SeaFoam the same ?

Thx
    Boogie

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie View Post
    Hey Don,

Isn't Marine stabil and SeaFoam the same ?

Thx
    Boogie
    No sir... they are not.

Read the MSDS Sheets (available online).

11. Vocational Fisher of Men Don316's Avatar
    Hi, Don - great info, but I am not up on all the various models of engines. Mine is a 1988 100 hp, I am using Quicksilver Premium Plus oil, but not sure about which plugs and fuel filter to use? Can you give me a fast recommendation and anything else I need to know to "tune it" up and keep it going? Also, is it best for me to exclusively use 90 octane? I recently heard of a place nearby that sells that and other non - ethanol fuels for boat motors.

Thanks for your time and help. And by the way, we had a day trip up to Skaneateles Lake in late June - still as beautiful as ever!

Don
    www.fbcstreetsboro.org
    1990 Ranger 680c
    1988 Mercury 100hp & Terrova iPilot 101
    2001 Lincoln Navigator

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don316 View Post
    Hi, Don - great info, but I am not up on all the various models of engines. Mine is a 1988 100 hp, I am using Quicksilver Premium Plus oil, but not sure about which plugs and fuel filter to use? Can you give me a fast recommendation and anything else I need to know to "tune it" up and keep it going? Also, is it best for me to exclusively use 90 octane? I recently heard of a place nearby that sells that and other non - ethanol fuels for boat motors.

Thanks for your time and help. And by the way, we had a day trip up to Skaneateles Lake in late June - still as beautiful as ever!

Don
    www.fbcstreetsboro.org
    Don:

Use fuel recommendations at the beginning of the post (87 or 89 octane, with appropriate Mercury Cocktail components).

Oil: Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus Oil is best.

Spark Plugs/filters: Really need SERIAL NUMBER to determine correct spark plug. See Rhonda's sticky post at the top of this forum for information on contacting for Part Numbers/Pricing.

13. Member
    Don,

I had heard somewhere that you don't need to gap the Iridium plugs for the 300xs. Is this true?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogeatdog View Post
    Don,

I had heard somewhere that you don't need to gap the Iridium plugs for the 300xs. Is this true?
    See the list at the beginning of this post. Proper gaps ARE LISTED (and you DO need to gap the plugs on the 300XS).

15. Member
    Hey Don, just purchased a new outfit that came with a 225 Opti, the previous owner only added Stabil to his fuel. My question is, should I keep doing the same or what cocktail should I be using (not wanting to disbalance the motor ) ? Also, should I add a fuel/water seperator ?

Thx

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie View Post
    Hey Don, just purchased a new outfit that came with a 225 Opti, the previous owner only added Stabil to his fuel. My question is, should I keep doing the same or what cocktail should I be using (not wanting to disbalance the motor ) ? Also, should I add a fuel/water seperator ?

Thx
    I would recommend that you PROMPTLY switch to the "Mercury Component Cocktail" shown at the very beginning of this post.

DO NOT add additional filters or separators. Your engine is already equipped with an adequate level of filtration (including a water separating filter).

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See the list at the beginning of this post. Proper gaps ARE LISTED (and you DO need to gap the plugs on the 300XS).
    I noticed in the service manual for the 300xs it lists the gap to be at .032 but your post above says .044. Was there a change or an update on the gap size?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogeatdog View Post
    I noticed in the service manual for the 300xs it lists the gap to be at .032 but your post above says .044. Was there a change or an update on the gap size?
    Yes, for the V-6 Optimax Models utilizing 879984 (Multistrike) ignition coils, spark plug gap was increased.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, for the V-6 Optimax Models utilizing 879984 (Multistrike) ignition coils, spark plug gap was increased.
    I have a 2008 300xs Reman. Supposed to have the new up grades, would it have these coils ? The plugs I had taken out were gapped at .032 , gapped the new plugs at .044 . Hope it's ok...?

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcaft View Post
    I have a 2008 300xs Reman. Supposed to have the new up grades, would it have these coils ? The plugs I had taken out were gapped at .032 , gapped the new plugs at .044 . Hope it's ok...?
    That's correct- just like it says in the first post.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast