Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    One more thing Don, the 2 cycle plus oil says that it could be used for the DFI engines, can I use it in my 2001 Opti 225hp ?

Thx

Yes, that is all they use to use on that year model engine. DFI oil wasn't around back then.
    Last edited by BMCD; 09-25-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie View Post
    One more thing Don, the 2 cycle plus oil says that it could be used for the DFI engines, can I use it in my 2001 Opti 225hp ?

Thx
    See the very first post in this topic.

Optimax/DFI Oil is the RECOMMENDED oil for your engine. IF this oil is not available, Premium Plus can be substituted (although it was never intended that Optimax oil would be "permanently unavailable").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Hey Don, ready to change my plugs and was wondering what the #'s after the code mean (IFR5G-11K #3107) ?

Thx

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hey Don, ready to change my plugs and was wondering what the #'s after the code mean (IFR5G-11K #3107) ?

Thx
    Boogie:

I'd strongly recommend that you provide your ENGINE INFORMATION (including serial number) BEFORE UTILIZING THIS SPARK PLUG.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    2001 225 optimax, ser # OT272477

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2001 225 optimax, ser # OT272477
    Boogie:

See the VERY FIRST POST in this topic. The CORRECT Spark plug (and the ONLY CORRECT Spark Plug) for your engine is:

NGK: IZFR5G (.032-.033" gap). Ignore ANY information you may find to the contrary.

8. Member
    New to optimax owner, and a quick question If I may. 2008 optimax 115...I have access to non-ethanol fuel but it is premium (92 octane I believe)...is it ok on my motor to run super?
    thanks, Jeff

[B][I]Jeff

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jefrobie View Post
    New to optimax owner, and a quick question If I may. 2008 optimax 115...I have access to non-ethanol fuel but it is premium (92 octane I believe)...is it ok on my motor to run super?
    thanks, Jeff
    Jeff:

Recommend that you stick with 87 (or perhaps 89) octane. HIGHER octane fuels burn "slower and cooler", which can result in an incomplete burn, lowered fuel economy, less power output, and potential carbon buildup.

Recommend when choosing fuels, you use the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER OF PREFERENCE:

-RECOMMENDED OCTANE (based on your engine... in this case, 87 Minimum)

-High-Traffic, Top-Tier Fuel Station

-Lowest Possible Ethanol Content (no more than 10%).

10. Member
    Thanks, was thinking the non-ethanol premium would be better than recommended octane w/ethanol.

[B][I]Jeff

Hey Don, if you had a 99 3.0 225 EFI that was bored .030 would you still run the same plug and same gap @ .032???? Just curious as that's what I was told too do.....

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Hey Don, if you had a 99 3.0 225 EFI that was bored .030 would you still run the same plug and same gap @ .032???? Just curious as that's what I was told too do.....
    Champion QL77CC at .035" gap.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, for the V-6 Optimax Models utilizing 879984 (Multistrike) ignition coils, spark plug gap was increased.
    Don, You list the old coil part# here. Is the upgraded .044" spark plug gap also required for the upgraded 8M0047456 Coils for the 300XS as my dealer just replaced all of my coils from the 879984 to the 8M0047456?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Don, You list the old coil part# here. Is the upgraded .044" spark plug gap also required for the upgraded 8M0047456 Coils for the 300XS as my dealer just replaced all of my coils from the 879984 to the 8M0047456?
    Yes, with the later style coils (which incidentally are Part# 879984T01... but have an embossed number 8M0047456 on the face of the coil)... the gap has been increased to .044".

15. Member
    I printed the EuropeanAM's posting. It's the best. I'm using Quickleen and SeaFoam with 89 Chevron. Starts easily and runs perfect. Been running 89 since the 80s and my plugs stay cleaner and have very little carbon build-up at the end of the year. I also get 2-3mpg better in my cars with 89. 20 cents per gallon comes out to $2-$4 per fill up.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

16. Member
    Hello Don. I have a 2008 300xs that I purchased new. When I first bought it, my Merc dealer recommended premium plus oil and then later I had multiple dealers, including the original one, tell me the recommendation had changed to opti oil. I see you have premium oil listed for the 300xs. Has it changed again? Was I just misinformed over the years? Thanks for your time and experitse.

Eric

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Eric:

You were misinformed. The recommendation for the RACING models remains Premium Plus (and has, continuously been Premium Plus).

18. Member
    Don,

What's your take on Star Tron additive?
    Tony Taylor Triton TR-186 175 Opti

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starmello View Post
    Don,

What's your take on Star Tron additive?
    I do not use or sell this product (and it's not recommended by the engine manufacturer).

20. Member
    Hey Don with a 2014 250 pro xs should I use the same cocktail of quickleen and quickcare in the same amounts of 1oz per 5 gal thanks

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast