Thread: Thermostat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermostat

250 Pro XS - Serial # 2B087982

I have a bad Thermostat, Just don’t know which one. Should I just replace both of them?

Thanks Mike

2. Member
    They are over $100 a piece. I did

3. Member
    Is it hung open or not opening?

4. Scraps
    Can test the stat in the kitchen. <PLEASE FRIEND- READ THE ANNOUNCEMENTS> Are you sure itsa bad stat? Maybe something hung up in the stat?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-07-2024 at 06:58 PM. Reason: No Flu-Tube, Please
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    It’s Open.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMaryland View Post
    It’s Open.
    I had one open last season and it turned out to be a chip of wood lodged in the opening. Easy fix, Stevie Wonder could’ve spotted it.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    I just replaced the two I had in there with a temp warning on vessel view mobile. Fairly simple job

I am second guessing myself so I thought I'd thought Id throw this out there. I applied a little pressure to seat the thermostat but assumed the tangs on the inside of the housing should seat them to their proper depth. I assume there isn't a chance that could get cocked when placing that housing back on. Tempted to take it apart just to make sure I'm not in a full open if it cocked
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

8. Member
    Stuck open because of debris? Have you put your eyes on it?

If it's a piece of debris and you replace it, you're throwing your money away.

suspend in water on the stove (wire works for this), make sure it opens at the right temp. If it's free of debris and doesn't open correctly, then replace.

9. Member
    It’s Open.
    While the engine is idling place your hands on the thermostat covers. The cooler one is the culprit that is hung open. You can pinch off that hose with a pair of hose pinch pliers while watching the engine temperature rise. This will allow the thermostat to open further. Once the temp reaches around 130 release the pliers and the debris may clear itself. If not, gently remove the thermostat cover and you may get lucky and not damage the gasket. Once you have the thermostat in hand gently compress the spring to open the thermostat a bit and the debris should fall out.

10. Member
    Mine started leaking to much and in cold water my opti would not warm up. Checked them and were clean. Wouldn’t do it every time but was getting worse. 2 bills later back in business. The sad part is I could get a thermostat for a truck for $10

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Mine started leaking to much and in cold water my opti would not warm up. Checked them and were clean. Wouldn’t do it every time but was getting worse. 2 bills later back in business. The sad part is I could get a thermostat for a truck for $10
    Cha$ed the $ame thing all last summer, frustrating to say the least.

12. Member
    Update , Pulled both thermostats. Tested them both they opened and closed just fine. Could what ever was holding one open just passed through?

Thanks Mike

13. Member
    Possible. Mine would check fine. Sometimes they would close enough and other times the engine would not warm up. Hated to spend that much for thermostats but it seems fine now

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Possible. Mine would check fine. Sometimes they would close enough and other times the engine would not warm up. Hated to spend that much for thermostats but it seems fine now
    There are others that are not as much as mercury wants and are just as good if not better.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    There are others that are not as much as mercury wants and are just as good if not better.
    DO NOT waste your money on the aftermarket ones. I've got four brand new ones sitting in my box to attest to why they do not function properly. Let's not make this suggestion again, please.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Thanks Don , Will order the parts tomorrow from Rhonda.

Mke

17. Member
    You might consider cleaning your strainer and back-flushing your engine, too.

If there isn't any debris in there, are you sure your poppet valve is good to go? Especially if your t-stats checked out good?
    Last edited by joco0101; 04-08-2024 at 07:51 AM. Reason: quoted the wrong post

18. Member
    All this is new to me , where is the strainer located? Thanks for any and all Help.

Mike

19. Member
    All this is new to me , where is the strainer located? Thanks for any and all Help.

Mike

20. Member

Mike
    click on this>>>>>>Cleaning your cooling water strainer screen on 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast