Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    2005 250 XS L
    0T999348

I’m looking at the part number for my spark plugs on the mercury parts catalog. It says IZFR6J @ 4.What is the @4? 4 thousandths maybe?
    It means the manufacturer packages them in packages of (4) each. You still must order the quantity you need (6).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It means the manufacturer packages them in packages of (4) each. You still must order the quantity you need (6).

OK say if I'm reading this correctly (-IZFR6J (NGK)for 150/175/200 ProXS (200 ProXS Serial #1B912786-up) & 225-250 ProXS and Racing XS Motors
    -2006 & prior ProXS: .032-.033 I need IZFR6J gapped at .032 since mine was mfg 2005. I'm not sure if it is a racing XS or a ProXS? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but mercury parts seems pretty unorganized. I asked their customer service about the latest PN for the air compressor and it isnt even shown when i look at my engine in their online parts catalog.
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0T999348 is a Mercury Racing 250XS. IZFR6J @ .032-.033".

Try looking those parts up on OUR website. We've put a considerable amount of work into making it the best we could (given what we had to work with)- and there's even an Archive Parts Lookup.

When the part goes in the shopping CART, the latest part number and pricing is automatically applied.

European Marine Parts Department

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    2001 Merc 150 efi OT279244
    just got a set of NGK BPZ8HS-10

what is the proper gap for these plugs?

Also does the cocktail aid in cleaning the injectors at all?

Thank you!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdawg
    2001 Merc 150 efi OT279244
    just got a set of NGK BPZ8HS-10

what is the proper gap for these plugs?

Also does the cocktail aid in cleaning the injectors at all?

Thank you!
    Your engine is a 2.5L Model (this is the 3L Forum). Best to open a separate thread for your engine.

.040" is the correct gap for BPZ8HS-10

Cocktail will aid in keeping the injectors clean, but will not be a solution for restricted injectors (or injectors that are already in need of cleaning, service or calibration).

6. Member
    Your engine is a 2.5L Model (this is the 3L Forum). Best to open a separate thread for your engine.

.040" is the correct gap for BPZ8HS-10

Cocktail will aid in keeping the injectors clean, but will not be a solution for restricted injectors (or injectors that are already in need of cleaning, service or calibration).
    Thank you sir!

7. Member
    I saw an old post that had this -2006 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS) quoted but I see the pinned thread must have been updated at some point?

-2007 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS)

I just want to confirm that I should be using a .032-.033 gap?

250 ProXS (1B447058)

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbz21 View Post
    I saw an old post that had this -2006 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS) quoted but I see the pinned thread must have been updated at some point?

-2007 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS)

I just want to confirm that I should be using a .032-.033 gap?

250 ProXS (1B447058)

Per the information in Post# 1 of this thread, your engine should be using .043-.044" gap. with IZFR6J Spark Plugs.

9. Member
    Per the information in Post# 1 of this thread, your engine should be using .043-.044" gap. with IZFR6J Spark Plugs.
    Are you saying my engine is a 2007? It says 2006 on the serial number tag.

10. Member
    I saw this on NGK's website. "NGK doesn't recommend adjusting the plug gap more than .008"

According to their site they say the
    IZFR6J is gapped at .031. If the above is true I can only go to .039?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you saying my engine is a 2007? It says 2006 on the serial number tag.
    Mercury does not use "years"- they use date of production and serial number. Above info is correct based on your serial number. If you have further questions, please open a separate thread for your engine.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I saw this on NGK's website. "NGK doesn't recommend adjusting the plug gap more than .008"

According to their site they say the
    IZFR6J is gapped at .031. If the above is true I can only go to .039?
    The plugs must be gapped correctly to the specified gap. See Post #1... done properly, there is no problem with gapping the plugs as recommended by the engine manufacturer.

13. Member
    The plugs must be gapped correctly to the specified gap. See Post #1... done properly, there is no problem with gapping the plugs as recommended by the engine manufacturer.
    Sounds good, Thank you very much for the information.

14. Member
    Mercury does not use "years"- they use date of production and serial number. Above info is correct based on your serial number. If you have further questions, please open a separate thread for your engine.
    Don - Hope I’m not being dense, but is there a thread like this for the new ProXS 4stroke engines?

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_cowboy01 View Post
    Don - Hope I’m not being dense, but is there a thread like this for the new ProXS 4stroke engines?
    Did you look in the 4 stroke section?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=570238

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

16. Member
    So.... what are the types of containers people are using for "shooters"? I am going to be premixing some cocktails and am curious what everyone else is using.

That and a number of other part number bottles that contain Premium PLUS (which is and always has been a synthetic blend) are suitable for mixing in the cocktail (Optimax Engine Models).

Quickstor is NOT needed unless you will be storing your engine for a seasonal purpose (ie- more than 45 days).

You can mix all of the components if you wish in "shooters" for 5 gallons of fuel, or for 10 gallons (twice the amount shown above).

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to include the REQUIRED info when posting. Please also note that certain website links are not supported here in the forums.

17. Member
    I use an old Stabil bottle quart size with the side measuring thingy on it, lol not sure how to better describe it.

I use a couple empty quickclean and quickcare bottles. I put a band of duct tape around them to identify which ones are the shooters.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I use a couple empty quickclean and quickcare bottles. I put a band of duct tape around them to identify which ones are the shooters.

+1
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

20. Member
    Don, 2014 Mercury 150 Optimax Pro 2 stroke S# 2B117592 -- parts manual shows NGK IZFR6J-11 plugs. I have read where people state the gap is @0.35 isnt it supposed to be 0.41 ish on the 150 Optimax Pro? Dealer replaced my plugs while back and when I pulled them they are all set @0.35. Runs ok but hard to start at times. Low Idle great. Replacing plugs myself this time due to motor hard to start after running. Turns over great but sputters and coughs then fires up but NOW after plug change no difference in starting but idles rough and stalls out on idle. I was able to purchase NGK IZFR6J-11 plugs (pre-gaped at 40ish. -- again when last dealer replaced the plugs they used NGK IZFR6J which they gaped at 35ish. Which plug gap do I use on this motor? Any ideas on why so hard to get running after stopping. acts like flooding with fuel. New batteries, all 3 new fuel pumps, new alternator, new starter relays, fuel pressure in the 90's and air pressure in 100's (sorry gauge doesn't read higher than 100 to give you an accurate number on this)

Thanks for any help you can throw my way
    Mack
    Mack McKinzie
    Bryan Texas

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast