Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 bites View Post
    Hey Don with a 2014 250 pro xs should I use the same cocktail of quickleen and quickcare in the same amounts of 1oz per 5 gal thanks
    Not Don, but the answer will be the same - YES.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Not Don, but the answer will be the same - YES.
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don

What are your thoughts on the Mercury Rejuvenate oil as a premix, this was discontinued by Mercury but some still available on line? It has high lubricity and additives to remove carbon and continued use prevents carbon build up plus a fuel stabilizer. This oil was an off shoot of the multi fuel 2 stroke oil used in the high rpm race engines on tunnels. Was recently told by Mercury Racing that rejuvenate was replaced by Mercury Racing 2 stroke synthetic blend.

On the Performance Plus oil you note for race engines in first post, what max rpm would you use this oil at a 18:1 premix + Quickleen. I always run at high rpm WOT on a hydro.
    Last edited by zul8tr; 09-11-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add details

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Don

What are your thoughts on the Mercury Rejuvenate oil as a premix, this was discontinued by Mercury but some still available on line? It has high lubricity and additives to remove carbon and continued use prevents carbon build up plus a fuel stabilizer. This oil was an off shoot of the multi fuel 2 stroke oil used in the high rpm race engines on tunnels. Was recently told by Mercury Racing that rejuvenate was replaced by Mercury Racing 2 stroke synthetic blend.

On the Performance Plus oil you note for race engines in first post, what max rpm would you use this oil at a 18:1 premix + Quickleen. I always run at high rpm WOT on a hydro.
    Rejuvenate was an EXCELLENT lubricant... well tested, and IMHO, the best oil Mercury offered. It is now available as Mercury RACING 2-stroke oil (same lubricant).

On your last question- there is NO engine in the Mercury Line-up that should be running 18:1 premix. Can't even think of one at the beginning of my career that would have been REMOTELY CLOSE....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    What's the difference between the Mercury Racing 2 Stoke oil and Optimax DFI oil?
    Which is better to run in the a new 2014 250 ProXS
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    What's the difference between the Mercury Racing 2 Stoke oil and Optimax DFI oil?
    Which is better to run in the a new 2014 250 ProXS
    The Mercury Racing 2-stroke oil is a lubricant that was developed to combat engine deposits in engines running fuels of questionable quality/origin (originally developed for a military-application multi-fuel engine). EXCELLENT product, and it's well suited to your Optimax (though it is substantially more expensive than the recommended Optimax/DFI oil).

7. Member
    Thanks!
    Ouch Over $50 bucks a gallon! Wow no thank you i'm not cheap by any means but it's Optimax/DFI oil for this kid!
    Last edited by flatsboy; 09-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

8. Member
    Don,
    My local high-volume gas station started carrying non-ethanol fuel, but only in 89 octane. I know that 87 is the "minimum", but will the 89 be good with my 2012 250 ProXS?
    I read the note on improving idle [which would be a nice side effect]. I just want to make sure that it isn't going to cause too slow or incomplete burn.
    Thanks. j.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    89 burns slightly cooler and slower... but if you can obtain NON-ETHANOL fuel that's this close to 87.... I'd recommend it as a viable option.

In our immediate market area (SC/NC/GA) this is often the case.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, with the later style coils (which incidentally are Part# 879984T01... but have an embossed number 8M0047456 on the face of the coil)... the gap has been increased to .044".
    Is this valid for all engines with this new type of coil? Asking for an Optimax 75 (2006, 1B318432) which also got this type of coil as replacement.

I know its a little bit off- topic as this is not related to 3 ltr engines and the Optimax 75 cant be considered as 'high performace' [even if it would run] as well but nevertheless this is the only place in the net google gives me when searching for mercury and 8M0047456. At least I know now that i got the right coils- thanks for that!

Any help/ answer will be greatly appreciated!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM
    Spark Plugs:
    -QL77CC (Champion) for 3 Liter EFI's (.035" 2001 and prior and ALL 250XB, .040" 2002-up)
    -IZFR5G@ .032-.033" for Standard Opti's 135-225HP and 200 ProXS PRIOR TO Serial Number#1B912786***
    -IZFR5J @.032-.033 for 75-115 Opti's
    -IZFR6J for 150, 175, 200 ProXS (Serial #1B912786-up) & 225-250 ProXS and Racing XS Motors
    -2006 & prior ProXS: .032-.033"
    -2007 & up: .042-.044" gap for best idle performance. (150/175/225/250 ProXS/XS)
    - 2007 & up 225-250 XS/ProXS can use IZFR6J (gapped to .042-.044") OR IZFR6J-11 (pre-gapped, currently a "factory only" plug)
    -2007 & up 225 ProXS: .042-.044"
    -175 ProXS: .042-.044"
    *** 200 ProXS Models manufactured PRIOR TO 2/1/12 utilize IZFR5G Plugs.
    *** 200 ProXS Models manufactured AFTER 2/1/12 (Serial Number 1B912786 and later) will utilize IZFR6J (gapped at .042-.044") due to production changes in the engines.

-IZFR7M for 300XS: .044" Gap
    I believe the green text above applies to you.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    I believe the green text above applies to you.
    That would be correct- always refer to the chart at the beginning (first page) of the post first.

13. Member
    That would be correct- always refer to the chart at the beginning (first page) of the post first.
    Thanks for the answer! Yep, I read the thread from the beginning before writing(!) but wasn't sure that there might be a change in gap after introducing the new coils as there was one for for the larger engine after the change.

Anyway- the problem is solved in another way- measured compression today and cylinder 2 has about 55psi and I have now to think about "rebuild" or "new engine".

Thanks a lot!

14. Member
    Rejuvenate was an EXCELLENT lubricant... well tested, and IMHO, the best oil Mercury offered. It is now available as Mercury RACING 2-stroke oil (same lubricant).

On your last question- there is NO engine in the Mercury Line-up that should be running 18:1 premix. Can't even think of one at the beginning of my career that would have been REMOTELY CLOSE....
    Don

On the 18:1 premix with 87 non E I have been using with Merc premium Plus it is in a 1973 Merc 25ss 2 cylindere race engine I use on a 3 point hydro. When Merc issued this engine it suggested 25:1 premix. Always ran the richer 18:1 oil mix for better bearing protection, piston protection and ring sealing with the Merc oil available back then with 87 octane fuel when I was actively racing it back in the 1970s in APBA. Although my question is outside of the engines on this site but since you are knowledgable on oils I was hoping you could provide the upper rpm limits for the Premium Plus at this rich ratios because it is a TCWIII oil and generally those are not tested at RPMs in the 7000 rpm area.

Or perhaps you could provide an answer to this that in your first post of this thread (portion below) the bottom line states - All racing/xs use merc racing 2 stroke or premium plus. What would be the max rpm for these oils? I have read that the Mercury Multi fuel 2 stroke was used in F1 racing tunnels in the 8-9k rpm range and now they use the Mercury racing 2 stroke so is it rated at a higher rpm than the Premium Plus?

Oil:
    -These are the "top recommendations". Refer to your owner's manual for other oil specifications!
    -ALL EFI/CARB 3.0L Engines: Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS
    -All STANDARD Optimax (75-250): Mercury or Quicksilver DFI/Optimax Oil
    -ALL ProXS Models: Optimax/DFI Oil. Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS is acceptable, but Optimax/DFI oil is RECOMMENDED due to a better additive package to help combat carbon deposits.
    -ALL Racing/XS Models: Mercury RACING 2-stroke oil, or PREMIUM PLUS

Thanks
    Last edited by zul8tr; 11-04-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added info

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've seen the Premium-Plus utilized up to 8000 RPM's (with adjusted ratio, of course).

No maximum RPM has been issued for the Racing Oil (at least not that I've seen published).

Thanks for the "blast from the past"... we had a guy on the lake I originally trained on (in NY) that had two of those engines on plywood hydro-planes. And it seems he was at a similar mix-ratio (haven't thought about those little screaming demons in decades).

16. Member
    That's correct- just like it says in the first post.
    So on one of my 300xs (2007 1E003178) I have replaced two coils (soon to be three, one went this weekend). The gaps on the plugs with the three new coils should be .044" and the gaps on the plugs with the old coils should be .032"? Two different plug gaps on the same engine?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbutah View Post
    So on one of my 300xs (2007 1E003178) I have replaced two coils (soon to be three, one went this weekend). The gaps on the plugs with the three new coils should be .044" and the gaps on the plugs with the old coils should be .032"? Two different plug gaps on the same engine?
    Incorrect!

ALL of your spark plugs (IZFR7M) should be gapped at .044" gap. See first post.

18. Member
    Incorrect!

ALL of your spark plugs (IZFR7M) should be gapped at .044" gap. See first post.
    Ok , thanks for the info. Why did the service manual ever say .032"?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plug gap for all multi-strike coil-equipped models were changed AFTER printing of that information, to improve idle quality.

20. Member
    '[

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast