Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. Member Allsup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    3,089
    #41

    Re: "Water Pressure 101"- Poppet Valves and Variable ... (EuropeanAM)

    Thanks
    Paul Allsup - Grand Lake
    04\' 519svx w/04\' 200 Opti

  2. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2
    #42
    A lot of great information. I have a 32 foot cat with twin 2011 300XS. I put about 190 hours on the boat with no water psi issues. I now have a water psi issue with the port motor. If I am running with the current and down wind, the psi on the port motor will drop to 5-7 and the temp will increase. If I am going in to the wind I get enough bow lift and water psi is around 15. No issue with the starboard motor. Any suggestions?
    Thank you

  3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC (US)
    Posts
    76,063
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    A lot of great information. I have a 32 foot cat with twin 2011 300XS. I put about 190 hours on the boat with no water psi issues. I now have a water psi issue with the port motor. If I am running with the current and down wind, the psi on the port motor will drop to 5-7 and the temp will increase. If I am going in to the wind I get enough bow lift and water psi is around 15. No issue with the starboard motor. Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Welcome to BBC!

    It's always best to start at the SOURCE: The Water Pump.

    In your case... while replacing the water pump, make certain that you inspect the passages BELOW the water pump (especially those that run forward to the low water pickups in the nose of the gearcase).

    43026Q06 (Kit WITHOUT housing)
    817275A08 (Kit WITH housing)

    Debris in this area can cause intermittent loss of water pressure.


    Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 41 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2
    #44
    Thank you. I did replace the water pump but it did not help. Also swapped gear cases to see if the problem would move to the starboard motor. The issue stayed with the port motor. So I think the issue is somewhere above the gear case.

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    91
    #45
    Don can give you more info than me but I had a psi issue with my port motor after running aground on a sandbar, luckly I was only at idle speed. The water pump was in good shape so I pulled the poppet valve and found some debris in it, the debri had also torn the diaphram. Ordered a new one from Don and all was good after.
    What boat do you have?

  6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC (US)
    Posts
    76,063
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    Thank you. I did replace the water pump but it did not help. Also swapped gear cases to see if the problem would move to the starboard motor. The issue stayed with the port motor. So I think the issue is somewhere above the gear case.
    I would then move on to inspecting/testing thermostats, and POPPET VALVE REPLACEMENT.


    Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 41 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud
    Posts
    67
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would then move on to inspecting/testing thermostats, and POPPET VALVE REPLACEMENT.
    Regarding poppet valve replacement. Do you replace the entire assembly or are there rebuild kits? What part numbers would I be looking for? 1997 225EFI s/n 0G539853.

  8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC (US)
    Posts
    76,063
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Regarding poppet valve replacement. Do you replace the entire assembly or are there rebuild kits? What part numbers would I be looking for? 1997 225EFI s/n 0G539853.
    Contact Rhonda in our Parts Department.... she has an "internally packaged kit" for your 3L model.

    See Rhonda's sticky post at the top of the forum for ordering information.


    Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 41 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    6
    #49
    < Mod Edit>: Please see the Forum Announcements, and open a separate thread for your engine. Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-06-2017 at 11:48 AM.

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Earleville, Maryland
    Posts
    84
    #50
    Where did you get the new face seal from? This may be the cure for my 250XB....Thanks, Mike

  11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC (US)
    Posts
    76,063


    Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 41 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM
  3. 2003 150 HP Vmax Carb, Poppet Valve, Water Pressure ?s
    By SE_FL_Bassaddict in forum Yamaha Motors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM
  4. 250 HPDI New Water Pump, Low/No Water Pressure
    By reelguitars in forum Yamaha Motors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
  5. Water Pressure and Water pump
    By Chasman in forum Evinrude/Johnson Motors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Tags for this Thread