Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Are the buoys still in place on Ky Lake?

Just wondering if the channel markers are still in place on the lake? I bet the flooding moved them around quite a bit. I've not been there that many times so I'm not real familiar with the channels that cross the lake. Got the trusty gps, but I always like to see the markers when I head across from the Moors.

Modified by billius at 2:50 PM 5/18/2010
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (billius)

I was out Sat and Sunday. I didn't notice anything wout of place then. I was amazed I didn't se any out of place. FYI BIll, we are going to be at summmer pool. You'll be good, as long as you avoid the bars at the mouths of the east side bays and at Summer pool and you'd have to work to hit one of them.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (billius)

There are plenty out of place below 68 Bridge.

4. Member

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (wleaderz)

There are a number of buoys missing or out of place still....one of the channel crossing green buoys at the mouth of Big Bear is sitting in the middle of the foundations of the old town of Birmingham..at least it was yesterday...you wouldn't want to be there, summer pool or not.....most of those channel buoys at that crossing are missing....if you have a navionics map...run it.

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (Dave Stewart)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Dave Stewart &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">There are a number of buoys missing or out of place still....one of the channel crossing green buoys at the mouth of Big Bear is sitting in the middle of the foundations of the old town of Birmingham..at least it was yesterday...you wouldn't want to be there, summer pool or not.....most of those channel buoys at that crossing are missing....if you have a navionics map...run it.</td></tr></table>
    Thats one of the worst places for the bouys to be missing
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

6. Member

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (stratos284)

seen the buoy barge out on barkley sunday...they were loaded down with what looked like a 100 buoy's...figured they were out replacing

7. Member

Re: Are the bouys still in place on Ky Lake? (Dave Stewart)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Dave Stewart &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">.one of the channel crossing green buoys at the mouth of Big Bear is sitting in the middle of the foundations of the old town of Birmingham..at least it was yesterday.</td></tr></table>

It was still out of place today. I spent most of the day out on the lake today. Most of the main channel bouys are still in place, the secondary channel markers are a different story. Yes, you want to use caution crossing the lake from big bear - I lost a skeg on my first visit to old birmingham. I use a navionics chip with no problem - Kentucky isn't as bad, but I don't feel comfortable at all on Barkley without it. On a good note, I saw very little debris and floaters today.

8. Member
    Hi guys,

Do any of you have screenshots of side view imaging around Old Birmingham on Kentucky Lake? Man, I'd love to see those.

Quote Originally Posted by papical View Post
    Hi guys,

Do any of you have screenshots of side view imaging around Old Birmingham on Kentucky Lake? Man, I'd love to see those.
    Look around in the Humminbird forum under image interpretation. You might find some there
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I was out Sat and Sunday. I didn't notice anything wout of place then. I was amazed I didn't se any out of place. FYI BIll, we are going to be at summmer pool. You'll be good, as long as you avoid the bars at the mouths of the east side bays and at Summer pool and you'd have to work to hit one of them.

Are they bringing the lake level to summer pool at the beginning of March this year instead of April. I thought I read an article about that when I was down last summer.

11. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Goodness gents. This thread is 7 years old. I'm gonna close it. If needed start a new one please.