Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake

I posted this update on mdunc's thread, but thought maybe more folks would see it if it had its own thread.

Below is an update from Lori Scott this morning. As you can see, she is becoming very frustrated with the Marshall County officials. Once again, I beg for anyones assistance in cutting through the red tape that is blocking efforts to resume this search.

February 9, 2009

I plead for your help today. We are being denied outside help from Marshall County DES until KY takes over which will not begin on Thursday. During this process, we have been plagued with poor weather, but our best weather opportunities came on Sunday (yesterday), and again today. But, again, Marshall County DES would not send a simple Mutual Aid Agreement Request to outside counties willing to come to our aid. They refused outside help. They even refused the outside help of Boone County, KY on 3 occasions. We have multiple reports of refused help from these counties, because DES coordinators would not send a simple mutual aid request. We have had finger after finger pointed in another direction, stating someone else is in charge. It’s just one big finger pointing circle. No one knows who is in charge.

We had spoke with Boone County through the Seth Foundation and had them get their equipment and teams ready. All they needed was a simple Mutual Aid Agreement request from Marshall County DES. However, it took the DES coordinator 48 hours because of their lack of dedication and follow-through to send a simple one page FAX for that request.

I am distraught at this point. I desperately need some answers. There was absolutely no excuse that can be given to me for officials to not be on the water yesterday with the perfect weather conditions and again today with perfect weather conditions, no wind, good water surface conditions. We have not had a single official boat on the water since the day the ice hit. However, Trevor’s dad, Clay, and the other fathers, uncles, and friends have been on the water daily. The ice never stopped them. We have installed side scan sonar’s on family and friends boats to keep this recovery mission going. I am a tax paying citizen and I have been denied help.

I want you to know that not one call, not one attempt, came from Marshall County DES since 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, (the evening prior to ice storm). I know Marshall County was tied up handling the warming shelters, but again, there were outside counties and agencies willing to come in and assist but were never granted the mutual aid request. This is not a time consuming process to issue that request. I talked to the coordinator and they simply did not do it. They were trying to pass it off to someone who didn’t have the authority to issue the request. Marshall County DES coordinator, even tried to hand it off to Graves County, which I explained to him was not logical or legal. The home county must issue the mutual aid request, unless the state is involved. If the State is involved, then that request must come from the KY DES Coordinator. However, the ball was dropped by BOTH of these two individuals. We have dealt with so many politics, so muchy “red tape”, and so many ego trips by Marshall County that it sickens me. This is because Marshall County does not care about the return of these boys. They are just waiting for our boys to “surface”. Now, the very soonest that the state of KY can step into assist us will be Thursday.

I need you to be asking a lot of questions from your representatives, our Governor, our DES people. The rescue squads are not given the equipment they need, the funds they need, or the training they need to perform missions of recovery. They are not prepared, not because of the individuals but because we have POOR leadership who have not acted upon implementation of disaster preparation. It’s called being prepared. It’s called “thinking ahead”. It’s called “using your head”!! Other surrounding areas around us have experienced drownings and recovery missions and seem to know what is expected, what equipment is needed, and how to establish grids and who needs to run these incidents. But, again, the State of Kentucky is operating in the “cave man era”. They are behind other states and only make excuses. We pay taxes, and they use it up. We pay taxes and they don’t use it “to be prepared” for what might happen!

I am sure if this were Mike Miller’s son in KY Lake, we would have had 40 boats out on the water looking for him. I am sure if this were Gov. Beshear’s son in KY Lake, we would have had 40 boats on the water looking for him, and not just from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., but 24/7. There were some good days where no one showed up on the water until 11:30 a.m.!

We have not been afforded respect from Marshall County DES. Daily communication should have been afforded to myself and Rebecca (MacKenzie’s mother). But Marshall County lacks ethic period! Of all the taxes paid into Marshall County, with a huge beautiful lake area, why not?

I contacted the Seth Foundation last night. I contacted Gene Ralston last night. Sheila from the Seth Foundation is attempting to put a team together to leave today to assist us, but it whoever we can get to come, and whatever equipment is available at the time they leave. Gene Ralston is putting together his equipment and driving from Idaho, but realistically probably cannot be here at the site until Thursday.

God bless the volunteers and the rescue workers who are all volunteers. The volunteers all hold full time jobs and they don’t have equipment to assist. But continue to pray for the cold-hearted, poor leadership of Marshall County DES and our Marshall County “leaders”. I have seen absolutely no leadership, no planning, no coordination, no respect, from them.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Just an old hillbilly, barely two generations removed from barefoot.

The next time won't be the first time I've made the same mistake twice.

2. BBC SPONSOR

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (vanbucy)

contacted both Senators, MCconnell and Bunning. I forwarded them this letter.
    I need Sharon to give me a call, so I can tell her what she needs to do.
    Rich Young
    859-240-0043

Modified by jettdog68 at 1:32 PM 2/9/2009

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (jettdog68)

4. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (fish)

There are thousands of people still without power right now, not to be cruel but I would think all resources are being utilized to help those. I did search and rescue for a local team in Ky for 7 years and there is a lot more than a simple form to allow mutual aid between states. (Numerous legal issues and logistics just to make that happen)

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (fishingmarlin)

I think the families understand that the local groups are needed to deal with storm related issues. As a matter of fact, some of the families of these young men are still without power. The problem is that there have been groups outside of the storm area that have volunteered to assist. Not all of these agencies have been from out of state. And yes, there may be logistics problems and legal issues...... those are exactly what the families are asking for any help to overcome.

Myself, I understand the plight of everyone affected by the storm and my prayers go out to all that need them. I do have trouble understanding logistics problems on 2 beautiful days on a lake with no searchers, but with two still lost boys, while professional teams had volunteered to search and were blocked by bureaucracy or individuals that did not want their toes trod upon. I could certainly be misinformed, but usually if it looks like a orange, tastes like an orange, and smells like an orange it ain't no apple.

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (vanbucy)

Why cant these other agencys just show up? its not like Ky lake is a private lake, it dosent make any sense to me, I dont understand what the hell is wrong with some people. If I had any pull what so ever there would be every volunteer that wanted to be there BE THERE.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

7. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (stratos284)

Since they are affiliated with a group or organization if something where to happen while out on a mission the group or state could be sued. You also don't want a bunch of volunteers who are not trained which requires more management and more dangers. Not only that if you have a bunch of volunteers without direction its tough to actually make progress.

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

8. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (fishingmarlin)

id the louisville police dive team ever show up was told they was going downa few weeks ago on a monday but never heard anything else,also was kinda thinking why one of the biggest boats the fish and wildlife has was at the louisville boat show instead of down there helping out,???was just kinda ironic they were there showing off their doppler radar side imaging ,cranes and all kinds of nifty toys but could have been using it down there

9. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (b*******45)

It was just anounced on local news that the State of Ky will be taking over the search for the young men,,,,,,GREAT NEWS..........I sure do hope and they can find those boys now. Van, looks like you may have speeded up things a little bit

10. BBC SPONSOR

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (RangerRodney)

Boone co. Rescue im told is on site now!
    These guys have the gear to find them.

11. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (jettdog68)

I have 2 sons on the area 2 dive team based in Hopkins County. I know that they worked long,hard hours trying to find those boys. They have the equipmentand training to find them, but no luck in doing so. I wil contact one of them today and ask why they are not on the job. And WILL report back.

I do not want to be defeatist about this, but with the high water of a couple of weks ago and all the wickets at Ky dam being open those boys stand a good chance of having been pulled over the dam and down the river.

My heart cries with sympathy for the boys and their families.

12. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (wwc3)

The only way that they could go threw the dam is over the top of the spill ways, the water is a long way from being that high right now. You have several hundred acreas of water between where they went down and the dam, it may take a lot of time to find them sorry to say, i do feel for the parents

Winds are gusting up to 35 mph right now so there will not be any one out there today looking for sure.

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (b*******45)

Gary,
    Louisville Dive team was here and their efforts were greatly appreciated.

wwc3 William, sent you an im

Rich, sent you an im and an e-mail earlier.

Rodney, Thanks for the kind words but it has always been Lori's words and her willingness to speak out that has garnered the needed support (I know her words have certainly tugged at my heart). Not to mention guys like you and the other wonderful members of this site that have sent prayers and assistance.

Praying the good weather arrives and the families can get some positive results. I know that they are very happy with the new leadership and the way that things are being organized.

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wwc3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do not want to be defeatist about this, but with the high water of a couple of weeks ago and all the wickets at Ky dam being open those boys stand a good chance of having been pulled over the dam and down the river.

My heart cries with sympathy for the boys and their families. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wondered about this also. I understand that there were 17 gates open when the boys went in, but the gates were closed as soon as the people at the dam heard of the tragedy.

For the families that they are found soon.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (Roddy)

I spoke with one of my sons that is on the area 2 dive team about this last night. Theyworked the area until the ice storm and had to go home to take care of their familys. He told me that the State now is in charge of the recovery effort and they have NO--repeat, NO equipment ! suited to this purpose. If they call out more rescue teams the State will have to pay them. Or at least refund them for their expenses. The State has no money for this. The general attitude is that if the boys are still in the lake and did not go over the dam when the wickets were open that they would not surface until the water warms up somewhat. Another possibility is that the bodies are lodged in the screens for the generator intakes.

I will stay in touch with these guys and report back any changes in the situation.

Not because I have 2 sons that are members of that dive/rescue team, but they do excellent work and are well equiped to locate and recover the boys. Dedicated and hard working they all are.

The son also told me that there were around 100 members of dive/rescue teams involved in the inital search and an estimated $100,000 has already been spent in the effort to locate and recover the victims.

Everyone is aware that this is a terrible situation for the families involved, but to date all that could be done; has.

My heart goes out to the loved ones. May God grant them the peace they deserve.

16. Member

I am pretty new on here and have no idea how to get into IMs. I cant find the IM button to push. HELP!!

17. Member

Click on the profile and then go to the instant message board, you will find them there.

18. Member

Re: Update on stalled recovery efforts on Ky Lake (RangerRodney)

Thanks Rodney ! Got now.