Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail

Has anyone changed their bunk brackets from the painted ones to the new galvanized brackets from Ranger. My trailer is a 2003 Ranger Trail and these are a bit rusty. Any issues with changing them???

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (mikev)

I thought about changing my rusty bunk brackets for my 1993 Champion. Got advice from some experts to grind them down, coat them with a rust preventer, and then re-paint. Someone recommended Por 15 to treat the rusted areas. I'm currently in the middle of the project - brackets are grinded. I plan to coat with the Por-15 this weekend, and then paint. Obviously, having new brackets put on would be just as good.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

3. Banned

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (dlewis10)

They cost like 2.50 per from ranger. I went ahead and replaced mine instead of trying to fix. After my time and checmicals, I figured it was jsut as cheap.

Easy to do, took about 45 minutes at the most.

Carlos

4. Member

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (mikev)

I redid my trailer last year...not hard to do and had no problems replacing bunk brackets....Called Ranger and order parts.

John

5. Member

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (transdep1)

I replaced the 12 brackets on my 2002 522 last year.....easy job and ordered them from Ranger.

6. Member

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (Dite)

I've got a quick question about replacing those brackets and how the bolts remove. Are the bolts running through the bunk board flat on top or are they bolts with a head on them that you could put a socket on? My concern is if they are flat on top, and they just spin when you try to remove the nut, do you have to get a cutting wheel to cut the nut and bolt off to remove? I appreciate you help as mine are in dire need of some attention/replacing.

7. Member

Re: Rusty Bunk Brackets 2003 Ranger Trail (Steve_r70)

The bolts on my 2002 522 ran all the way through the board. The head of the bolt was counter sunk on the top under the carpet....and yes, you can put a socket on it.

8. Member
    thanks for the info! I was worried they would be round head bolts and just spin when you tried to remove the nut. Thanks for the help.

9. Member
    Carlos, did you use original hardware or did it need replacing? I have SS hardware on my Ranger trailer and it looks like new, bracket are badly rusted, I hope that I will be able to use bunks and existing hardware. I want to be prepared since my hole in the water is 65 miles away.

It's too cold in my garage to go out and crawl under the boat, but if I recall, the original SS hardware on my Ranger trailer used nylock nuts on the bunk bracket bolts. If so, you should probably use new nuts or put some blue locktite on the threads of the bolt if you use the old nuts.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    I used carriage bolts when I replaced the boards on my 2000 R91. Use a drill bit the same size as the bolt and hammer the bolt to where its flush with the board. The square shape under the head of the bolt is what grabs the wood and prevents the bolt from turning when tightening. Then you lay the carpet over the heads of the bolts. I have done this on several trailers and never had any issues.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

12. Member

Bracket help for 2000 Ranger R91

Can anyone help me? I have a R91 and I need to replace the bunks on the trailer, the brackets are all rusted and when I called Ranger they wanted $25 each for new ones. Does anyone know if I can use other brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankyo12 View Post
    Can anyone help me? I have a R91 and I need to replace the bunks on the trailer, the brackets are all rusted and when I called Ranger they wanted $25 each for new ones. Does anyone know if I can use other brackets?
    If you have a local shop that can fabricate new brackets for you, that might be less expensive than the one bought from Ranger. Otherwise, I'd go with the $25 ones from Ranger.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    They WILL break off. Looks like a design shortcoming. If any of you own a Ranger with the factory trailer I strongly recommend you spend some time looking at the area under the bunk with the through bolt for rust.

15. Member
    Thanks Jeff, it’s just hard not to go online and see them from Ranger. Bill what exactly am I looking for?
    I Yes

16. Member
    Look for a lack of paint where the support is bent for the bunk bolt. That's the first step, rust follows, mostly depending on age and the salinity of the water you use. I was lucky enough to have two cargo ratchet straps when my friend's broke off and could strap the bunk in place for his trip home. If it rusts off, and the bunk shifts on the road, the hull will probably be badly damaged.

17. Member
    Thanks for the tip

I just went and looked at mine. They are in need of replacing. Do you fold the bunk carpet back to get to the counter sunk bolt heads on top of the bunk so you can ratchet the bolts off for replacement?
    I am just trying to figure out how to get the old rusted bolts off and replace with new. kinda have to fold back the carpet no?

Thanks