Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

worn out bearing buddies???

I had the bearings re-packed on my recently purchased 2000 dri-dock dual axle trailer and asked the guy to also replace the bearing buddies since they are 8yrs old and slinging grease all over the wheel/tire. He informed me that he checked the bearing buddies and they did not need replacing. I drove home and noticed the buddies did not show any blue so I filled all wheels with grease until approx. 1/8inch of blue was visible. As soon as i got to the lake (approx. 10 miles) I noticed grease all over the wheels. Everything I've read says to add grease until 1/4" of blue is visible. Is there a chance I'm over filling or does it sound like worn out bearing buddies? Thanks for any help, Darin

2. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (dvs-2)

Sounds like bad grease seals in the hub!!

Ed

3. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (clayshooter)

Ed, do the seals have anything to do with the bearing buddies? If not, are they easy to replace and/or get to? Sorry for the ignorance but this is my first boat/trailer. Thanks for the help, Darin

4. Professional Lurker

Grease on the front of the wheels or on the backside of the wheels?

5. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (jaredpointer)

Jared, grease is leaking on the front or outside of wheel (where the blue would show on the bearing buddies). Thanks

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (clayshooter)

Check the melting point of the grease you added. Sounds like seepage from melting.

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

7. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (Toypuller)

Will check it when I get home. The grease I'm using is what the seller of the boat gave me so I have no knowledge about it. What should the melting point be? Thanks

8. Professional Lurker

I think the bearing buddies won't seat correctly if they have been removed more than a couple of times. That could be the problem. The fact it is coming out front instead of the rear side of the wheel points to the Bearing Buddy leaking from where you knock it into the hub rather than a grease seal failure. Of course, that's just my opinion. For less than $20, I'd just buy some new bearing buddies and see if that fixed the problem.

I use a grease with a 450 degree melting point. It is probably overkill. I think the minimum is 250 for brake axles ( but I may be wrong)
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

10. Member

listen up guys...Steve, you may want to post this...The blue indicator is really a piston sealed by 2 rubber o-rings...if the hubs get to 250 degrees, and remember, the hubs run about 180 degress under normal towing & braking, the o-rings will flatten out and grease will come out in between the blue indicator and the barrel of the protector, thus, you will need to replace the protector. It's too much of a hassle trying to replace the o-rings....This usually only happens to the brake hubs.The lips of the wheel seal in the back of the hub will start to deform at 300 degrees and grease will come out on the back of the hub...this would be time to install new seals...hope this helps..

11. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (Lyn O. Dyer)

Lyn did they change the outer diameter of the trailer buddies.The older ones look different than the newer ones.Thought I read a post where someones wheel caps wouldnt fit over the new ones.

12. Member

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (wamma)

Some builders use the SST style Trailer Buddy, this protector has a slightly larger barrel diameter and uses a bra to hold in any over filled protector. When UFP builds the complete axle, they use the #07500, this protector has a slightly smaller diameter barrel and uses a steel cap,# 07509, that snaps on to the blue indicator to keep any excess grease form getting in the wheels.

13. Member

That explains it thank you Lyn Mike

14. Member

Lyn I call waymires and they only carry the larger (newer) ones.They said UFP hasnt had them in years.Have you heard of this. Thanks again Mike

15. Member

Call Dennis at UFP...800-835-9211 ext. 16, he should be able to hook you up...

16. Member

thanks Lyn will try him

I went through two NEW bearing buddy protectors and one from BPS. They all were slinging grease out of the seal in the top of the blue ring. Where the zerk fitting seats. I removed and disassembled the original one that came on the trailer. Noticed that the washer that the zerk attached to was flimsy and slightly warped. Took a comparable sturdy fender washer and grinded the outer diameter to fit inside the blue ring. Once reassembled and reinstalled, never had another leak from it. Money wasted trying to fix an inherent flaw.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wamma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks Lyn will try him</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please let me know what you come up with. I just broke the plastic plunger on mine and I think that these aren't in production any more. The newer style is a larger diameter and won't allow the center cap to go over them. And far as the leaking this setup with the metal cap instead of the plastic bra was inferior. Mine slung a little grease the day I drove it home brand new. Never stopped it entirely with a lot of trying.

Mike

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wamma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lyn did they change the outer diameter of the trailer buddies.The older ones look different than the newer ones.Thought I read a post where someones wheel caps wouldnt fit over the new ones. </TD></TR></TABLE>
    My trailer has the smaller diameter hubs, I just wraped 2 or 3 rounds of electrical tape around the outer diameter and the rubber buddy caps fit tightly!! its been like that for about 5 years
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

20. Member
    I've got a similar issue with my trailer, '99 customeline. I've got one wheel that has grease leaking out on the front of the wheel, but only when the wheel is parked for a while. Another one, same axle, on the other side doesn't have a protector, just some kind of plastic plug on the outer edge of the hub. Another protector on the front axle is slinging grease in small amounts when the wheel is spinning going down the road. I guess I'll replace all 4 and see if they straighten out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast