Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PAULINA LA
    Posts
    80
    #41
    Bearing buddies have a weep hole so they will not over pressure. They sell bras for that soul purpose.

  2. ZO6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    573
    #42
    Why use bearing buddies at all? A good rear seal and a sealed cap with permatex or "screw on" on the outside is all you need to keep water out and no nasty grease everywhere. I pull my trailer about 8000 mi per year and this has worked great for me. Yes, salt water and fresh water. And... no water inside unless you have a rear seal failure. Bearing grease is bearing grease just don't mix. Because of the miles, I jack up and check wheels annually. Replace bearings and seals every 2//3 years whether they need it or not myself since I am self funded. Bearing failures seem to come from overfilling with grease which puts undue pressure on seals and eventually water leaks i.e. trouble. JMHO!

  3. Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    155
    #43
    Ive had the same set of Bearing Buddies on my single axel ranger trailer since 1995. Never replaced a seal... just add grease into zerk fitting untill I get a little play on the spring loaded buddy. I think I have been super luck and am considering switching to the newer style Vortex Hubs Ranger has started using. Any thoughts?
    1992 Ranger 481v Yamaha ProV 150 Lowrance HDS9 Touch x2 Motorguide TM

  4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    21,612
    #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish92084 View Post
    Ive had the same set of Bearing Buddies on my single axel ranger trailer since 1995. Never replaced a seal... just add grease into zerk fitting untill I get a little play on the spring loaded buddy. I think I have been super luck and am considering switching to the newer style Vortex Hubs Ranger has started using. Any thoughts?
    Not lucky, you are just using them properly. Just a tiny amount of grease when they are retracted. This is one case where more is worse. You've done it right.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs-2 View Post
    I had the bearings re-packed on my recently purchased 2000 dri-dock dual axle trailer and asked the guy to also replace the bearing buddies since they are 8yrs old and slinging grease all over the wheel/tire. He informed me that he checked the bearing buddies and they did not need replacing. I drove home and noticed the buddies did not show any blue so I filled all wheels with grease until approx. 1/8inch of blue was visible. As soon as i got to the lake (approx. 10 miles) I noticed grease all over the wheels. Everything I've read says to add grease until 1/4" of blue is visible. Is there a chance I'm over filling or does it sound like worn out bearing buddies? Thanks for any help, Darin
    JUST A WARNING! dvs-2 I just went through having a wheel come off my boat trailer while traveling at 65 mph down hwy. Contacted insurance to file a claim for damages that incurred to find they WOULD NOT cover damage to axle, attaching U bolts, or wheel hub due to bearing failure. I know I was highly upset but I was informed the bearings failure was a bearing warranty issue not an insurance coverage issue. I make this post to relay what the trailer repair technician told me. Using bearing buddies are good BUT the plastic(neoprene) colored gauge in the bearing buddy can become stuck due to trash, debris, or grit. If this happens it is easy to over pack the hub bearings thus blowing the inner hub grease seal and allowing grease to escape and allowing bearings to heat up and FAIL. Exactly what happened in my case. Now I have an E-Z lube axle by Dexter Axles that have no inner bearing seals to blow out and when greasing the bearings through the spindle the old grease comes back out the front of the hub.

  6. Member Bob G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,718
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    JUST A WARNING! dvs-2 I just went through having a wheel come off my boat trailer while traveling at 65 mph down hwy. Contacted insurance to file a claim for damages that incurred to find they WOULD NOT cover damage to axle, attaching U bolts, or wheel hub due to bearing failure. I know I was highly upset but I was informed the bearings failure was a bearing warranty issue not an insurance coverage issue. I make this post to relay what the trailer repair technician told me. Using bearing buddies are good BUT the plastic(neoprene) colored gauge in the bearing buddy can become stuck due to trash, debris, or grit. If this happens it is easy to over pack the hub bearings thus blowing the inner hub grease seal and allowing grease to escape and allowing bearings to heat up and FAIL. Exactly what happened in my case. Now I have an E-Z lube axle by Dexter Axles that have no inner bearing seals to blow out and when greasing the bearings through the spindle the old grease comes back out the front of the hub.
    The picture of the hub on the E-Z Lube spindle at Dexter's website shows a seal on the back of the hub. If yours do not have a seal, how does the hub keep water out as the hub/wheel rotate while in water?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    Sponsored by my paycheck, every 2 weeks!

  7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    21,612
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    The picture of the hub on the E-Z Lube spindle at Dexter's website shows a seal on the back of the hub. If yours do not have a seal, how does the hub keep water out as the hub/wheel rotate while in water?
    They don’t try to seal it. Water resistant soap base for the grease and a flushing mechanism to remove contaminate grease and replace it with new easily and with no disassembly.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

  8. Member Bob G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,718
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They don’t try to seal it. Water resistant soap base for the grease and a flushing mechanism to remove contaminate grease and replace it with new easily and with no disassembly.
    Are you saying that the E-Z Lube hubs do not have a seal? The picture at Dexter's website looks just like a seal on the back of the hub. I understand the principle of pumping grease through the spindle and it goes through a hole in the SS wear ring, through the inner bearing then outer bearing and back out of the front until all of the old grease is out. What keeps the grease from going out of the back of the hub?

    I have a similar spindle on my utility trailer (Posi-lube) and my last boat trailer had it also. My utility trailer still has an inner seal. I know, because I replaced them when I replaced the bearing and races. They don't show SS wear rings in the following video, but mine has them. I didn't change the SS wear rings on my utility trailer as I don't put it in the lake!

    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    Sponsored by my paycheck, every 2 weeks!

  9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    21,612
    #49
    They have a seal on the back, but they don’t really worry about the overall hub being sealed. The cap just snaps on, so it’s not a really good barrier.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    88
    #50
    You said you had the bearings repacked and you got home and added more grease? Why did you add more grease because if the guy repacked the bearings then they shouldn't had to have more grease added in the first place. Just reading your statement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Bearing Buddies
    By kk4iz in forum Xpress Boats
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
  2. bearing buddies
    By ficht295 in forum Trailers & Towing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
  3. Bearing Buddies
    By FishnNut1956 in forum Trailers & Towing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
  4. Bearing buddies
    By Jonestrollingmotor in forum Trailers & Towing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
  5. bearing buddies
    By RANGER487 in forum Trailers & Towing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM