Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (BigCranks)

When I bought my boat and trailer last year (my first) the trailer already had Bearing Buddies on it and the guy I bought it from told me to shoot a couple shots of grease in the hub whenever I pulled it out of the lake to force any water out. I haven't done this everytime but my hubs sling grease on the back side of the wheels too. If I have to replace the Bearing Buddies, how do they come out? I'm new to all this too. Thanks.

2. Member

Re: (VTFan)

If grease is coming from behind the wheel, you replace the seal. The protectors just knock off with a block of wood and a hammer while turning the wheel.

3. Member

Re: (DABS)

Would I have to get the Buddy Bearing seals or would any proper size seals work?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: (VTFan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by VTFan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Would I have to get the Buddy Bearing seals or would any proper size seals work?</td></tr></table>
    You need wheel seals for the back of the hub.

5. Member

Re: (Bassmeister)

Get some redeye bearing buddy protectors, there great, easy to read and don't sling grease.
    Skeeter 202c
    200 Yamaha
    998/console
    Helix/upfront
    12’Talon on rear

6. Member

Re: (skeeter5458)

Hey guys I have a question for you guys. I recently was quoted 900.00 for new brakes on my trailer. I have a 05" ZX-250 and was told my brakes and everything else is shot. I know I need new rotors, wheel bearing, pads and other stuff. It's a dual axle trailer but I only have brakes on one axle. Does this seem a bit high to you?

Thanks for any response,

Mike

Re: (fozzi35)

Heck yes. I do all my own brake, bearing repair, pain in the back side literally, but well worth it when prices like that are quoted.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

8. Member

Re: (HaulinBass)

I thought so. I should have done the darn things myself. Thanks Haulin

9. Banned
    Ya I would do it your self. I just did my brakes yesterday. New calipers, rotors, bearings, etc. It wasn't to bad but saved me a ton of money in labor.

Re: (PurpleHeartVet187INF)

When DIY, you have a working knowledge of your brakes, and
    you know it's done right.

11. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by HaulinBass &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">When DIY, you have a working knowledge of your brakes, and
    you know it's done right.
    </td></tr></table>

Unless, you dont really know what you're doing...

Re: (BoatNoobie)

Thats a personal choice, unless a guy is physically unable
    to work infront and under a hub assembly. Start by taking it apart.
    That's how everyone learns. Pay to play, some more so than others.

13. Banned

AGREED

14. stillina99ho

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (dvs-2)

Yes, 1/4 out is overfilling! For 15 years I've found that if you fill them to what the directions or manufacture says your gonna have grease everywhere. Even new seals will let grease by if the buddy's are filled to the max. The best way I've had the best success with my bearings and bearing buddies is this: If you start from new everything, pack the inside of the hub, the middle of the hub has a channel in it, fill that with grease by hand. Use "Marine Grease" for trailer bearings, dont just put any grease in there. Marine grease and or waterproof trailer grease is made to work with water. When you put it all back together try to keep the front inside lip where the bearing buddy slip fits into free of grease wipe it clean with acetone and u can use a few Q-tips too. Clean the bearing buddy lip as well. Then use " Permatex Sleeve Retainer" it comes in a lil red tube just like the red or blue loctite. Kinda hard to find sometimes but I'm sure one of your auto parts stores has it if not just order some. Use a lil of the sleeve retainer on the lip of the buddy and seat it in.
    Then when you pump grease into the buddy watch the the blue indicator and as soon as you see it move out towards then maybe add 2 pumps thats it. On your first trip out check the buddies when you get gas. Just feel them with your hand if theyre hot then thats either the braking axle which is normal for it to be pretty darn warm becuase of the brakes. If the the non braking axles are hot and the indicator of the buddy is all the way in then add grease until you see the indicator move out some. I've gone from Ca. to Tennessee with what looks like next to no grease on the bearing buddy indicator and back no probs.

Everytime I have ever filled the buddy's full I had grease everywhere and blown out seals that left me on the side of the road. Hope that helps ya!

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (stillina99ho)

You've been there done that.

16. stillina99ho

Re: worn out bearing buddies??? (HaulinBass)

Yup!

17. Member
    I had a similar issue with one trailer buddy leaking from the front, after not being able to get the exact one (due to the age of my trailer I guess 2002)
    I ended up taking apart one of the new bearing buddys and taking out the the blue seal with the orings and the spring.
    Then I replaced all those parts in my old trailer buddy housing and it worked like new.

2002 Stratos 20xl prostar, 2002 VMAX 225 ox66

Re: (Reel Bass)

That's what I like to hear. Ingenuity and saving $.

Re: (Reel Bass)

Oh, and you can go to an automotive parts store and match the O rings to your old ones. They usually have a plastic box with itemized rings. I found that even the exact OEM replacement rings have a tendency to leak. The system is set up to leak grease through the back dust ring and out the front blue cap if overfilled. Because of that I don't normally clean more than what I need to when I finish. Just the area of where it may sling grease after the first few miles, air and grease will escape after the new bearing are installed. That way I know if it's going to be okay or not. Perhaps its one of those idiosyncrasies of each individual trailer. Once you've worked on them enough doing maintenance procedures you tend to know what's normal operation of the beast. I don't like to have to do it, I just do it because it requires it and I can't see giving someone as stated earlier in this thread, $900.
    I'm still going to make all four corners of my trailer disc whenever I find the time. There has been a time when I needed it. Some Einstein decided to abruptly stop in front of me to turn left(no turn signal)in nearly bumper to bumper traffic just north of Kimberling city. I was tooling along at 30 mph heading to Aunt's creek, thinking about where to fish first. Two split second choices after I seen I wasn't stopping, rear end it or cut the wheel to the right? I passed on the right shoulder, the shoulder was soft, slid off down a small bank into knee deep grass with a mud bottom. I realized that I wasn't going to get out if I stopped, I reached down slammed it into 4WD Hi, and hammered down. Came back up the bank and onto the road in front of Einstein. All this in probably less than 10 seconds. My boat/trailer was covered in grass, mud. But undamaged. Those BFGoodrich KO finally did their job. I glanced into my side mirror when I was in the bottom, mud roosters. I don't want to do that again.

Modified by HaulinBass at 8:54 AM 9/20/2011

20. Member
    same thing happened to me, greese all over my wheel, my calliper was dragging causing enough heat to melt the greese inside the hub, ordered a calliper from trailer parts superstore, pulled my bearings, they were good so I cleaned them and repacked them {bought a bearing packing tool at auto sone for 6 bucks, neatest tool I ever used} put everything back together and no more problems.
    Just James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast