Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (G P)

If you use those squeeze a little dielectric grease into them to keep the connections from corroding.

2. Member

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (G P)

I splice all my trailer wires with blue butt conectors and coat them with liquid electrical tape to keep water out . I also ran a seperate (white) ground wire to all lights AND grounded them to the trailer also. I find most of the times lights act strange its because of a bad ground or a corroded connection. I have been wiring all my trailers this way for quite a long time and never have had a problem.

1989 361V Johnson 150 GT Fastest boat I have ever owned.
    Found out it scared my fishing buddy so I bought a smaller Stratos with a smaller Johnson

3. stillina99ho

Re: (Blaine0311)

Blaine...... yeah your right! Repeated lights going out or when the whole trailer blacks out its 98% of the time a spot in the wiring of the trailer that has been rubbed bare or scraped bare and then it contacts trailer frame, blowing a fuse. On newer trucks fuse for trailer is under hood and sometimes under dash as well. Easy thing to remember on most all electrical problems, ALWAYS CHECK GROUNDS FIRST ( THOROUGHLY) and I stress (THOROUGHLY). Most always, trailer companies put the ground straight to the PAINTED trailer frame. so, what happens, is the ground is only contacted through the rivet or bolt. A lot of times it looks fine but often they are loose connections. Another thing, if the wires are going through the trailer frame they will often rub bare there.

Hoped that helps!

4. Member

Re: (stillina99ho)

They also have heat shrink tubing that helps keep water out

5. Member

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (21XDC)

One thing about that plug wiring diagram is that the center pin on CHevy OEM is the back-up lights. So that wire is used for the trailer brake solenoid.

???

If I wanted to install back-up lights on my trailer can I simply tap off the 5th lead to the brake lockout solenoid?

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

7. Member

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (Rudeman)

Yes, but dont forget about your Ground wire..

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (Lyn O. Dyer)

Thanks.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (Rudeman)

If you have the 7 pin factory plug that comes with the tow package on Chevrolet's it already has a back-up light connection wired. I don't remember which pin it is.

Yes please pin this diagram to the top! It was very helpfull for me to trouble shoot my trailer light problem.

G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

11. Member

Re: Trailer wiring diagram... (rodney_h)

I have a 2002 Stratos trailer and I am having a problem. The brake, turn signals and backup lights all work, but the parking lights do not. No one has mentioned this type of trailer plug. The marker lights all have a white wire that is connected at the plug. Anyone else seen this before?

mike

2002 Stratos 21xl Magnum, 2002 Yamaha VMax 250

12. Member

Re: (transamz9)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by transamz9 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">They also have heat shrink tubing that helps keep water out</td></tr></table>

There is also a waterproof heat shrink. You probably won't be able to find it at an auto parts store as it is typically used to splice wires for underwater applications such as sump and well pumps. I buy it at Lowe's in the plumbing section near the well pumps. It comes four to package ( 4 heat shrink tubes and four connectors).

13. Member
    [QUOTE=Stratos21;1601610]I have a 2002 Stratos trailer and I am having a problem. The brake, turn signals and backup lights all work, but the parking lights do not. No one has mentioned this type of trailer plug. The marker lights all have a white wire that is connected at the plug. Anyone else seen this before?

If the wire is white, it should be ground. The parking lights or running lights should be on a brown wire. If someone has Mickey-Moused the wiring, all bets are off.

This sucks but my passenger turn and break light wasn't working so I wigglwed the plug where it plugs into the adaptor cable going to my round truck plug. The lights came on so I said the heck with it. I cut the plugs off and hard wired them together. Now I can't get the passenger turn and break lights to come on at all. Couls I haver a blown fuse? Truck lights work fine.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    LED Upgrade.... I currently have the normal rear tail lights on my boat trailer and all functions operate just as they are supposed too. I decided to upgrade to the new LED and was told they were plug and play. I installed the LED and all functions work ecept for the turn signals. With the right on both tail lights flash. With the left turn on both tail lights flash. Since the LED have a positive and a negative, I am wondering wether they need to each have a seperate ground instead of a common ground. If anyone has experienced the same problem I would appreciate some imput. Thanks

John

16. Banned
    Nope, common ground or ground to frame is good. What LED lamps did you buy? did it come with a little power pack (resistor pack)? If it was designed for tail light functions it shouldn't. BUT if is some offshoot it might require a resistor pack. Show us a picture of the package or a link to where you got them from. I install LED lamps for auto/boat and never had that problem.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Ranger View Post
    Want to share this with you guys so if you have this problem you do not go thru what I did. Should have known this but did not. This is similar to the old theory that if you have trouble with backup lights check your cruise control. If it does not work you have a blown fuse.( On Fords,? others).
    My left brake light and turn signal did not work on my boat trailer. Did work on the truck so I assumed it was on trailer or plug. Went to checking and found nothing. Started over again and was checking truck. My truck has towing package. AFTER you think about it the people that designed this knew what they were doing. Finally noticed that I had no power to these lights at the towing package plug in at the back of the truck. The truck lights do work so I was really confused. When lost read the manual. Looking for fuse that covers the left side brake and turn only. None were shown in the fuse box in the cab. By luck looked at the elect. box under the hood. Did not know it but there are mini fuses out there too. In the manual found the two 10 amp fuses that control turn,flasher, brake light( one for right ,one for left) Replaced fuse problem solved. These fuses are for the towing package light plug only. Great design. If you have a problem with your trailer these fuses blow and your truck is still ok. Have not found out what caused the fuse to blow , maybe old age but will keep aware. Hope this helps someone.
    Man I wish I would have came here before I swapped lights and check amps and my truck lights and grounds and connections and what all else I did . One 10 amp fuse is all it was on the trailer left turn/ brake in the side of the dash of my Z71. I was mad and glad at the same time..

Is anybody familiar with the round trailer plug on a 2015 Ford truck? My truck is not available at this moment so I don't know how many pins it has. It has the towing package I know for sure. What I was needing to know is if one of the pins in the plug is for a reverse light so that I could run a extra wire from the trailer with backup lights and it would send power to the lights when put in reverse. Hope all this makes sense. Thanks...........
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    Is anybody familiar with the round trailer plug on a 2015 Ford truck? My truck is not available at this moment so I don't know how many pins it has. It has the towing package I know for sure. What I was needing to know is if one of the pins in the plug is for a reverse light so that I could run a extra wire from the trailer with backup lights and it would send power to the lights when put in reverse. Hope all this makes sense. Thanks...........
    It's the standard 7-pin RV plug. It has the reverse light wiring.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Awesome John, thanks for the info!!!
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast