Converting trailer to oil cooled hubs?

I have a 1996 Ranger Trail trailer. I have spoke with the guys down at Ranger's Factory Trailer Service Division and they tell me that it is fairly simple to convert the hubs over to oil cooled and can be done right there at Ranger. (Good excuse for me to finally make the trip down and tour the factory) I am curious to know if any of you Ranger Owners have made the conversion over to oil cooled hubs and if anyone has experienced problems by doing so? IMO........it will be easier maintenance long term and much better protection cooling the hubs towing. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has converted over their hubs and what you think.

Rob

2. Member

Re: Converting trailer to oil cooled hubs? (blazin461)

I have no experiance with the oil cooled hubs but have read several threads on this board where they were changing from the oil cooled back to the grease hubs due to leakage problems.

3. Member

Re: Converting trailer to oil cooled hubs? (blazin461)

I have the cool hubs on my 96 dual axle trailer. They were Ranger factory installed when I bought the trailer and boat new. I wouldn't have anything but cool hubs. I have changed the rear seals 2 times in 10 years and have never changed a bearing or race on any of the axles and they still look like the day I rolled them off the show room floor . I fish every weekend and pull the boat at least 4000 miles a year. So I would say YES it is worth the conversion to cool hubs.
    The 2005 trailers had allot of problems with the cool hubs, but Ranger had changed subcontractor and got a bad deal. I think that has been straighten out by now for those guys.

4. Member

Re: Converting trailer to oil cooled hubs? (rangerguy)

Yes, I have cool hubs for my 2005 Triton and they work great
    No more messy grease, if you need to change just drain the oil and add new!!

Re: Converting trailer to oil cooled hubs? (fishinski)

IMO..........I really think that oil cooled hubs are much easier maintenance. Add oil if neccessary, sight window lets you see if oil is milky and might have a leak, and oil won't break down like grease will. The trailer industry wouldn't be converting to it if there were no advantages.

6. Member
    i hit something in the road and the hub pop off and did not know it until it was too late ,no warning . all the oil leaked out on a 8hr drive and melted everything to the spindle 2300 in towing and repairs have to leave boat in another state . never in my life had a problem with grease hubs.

7. Member
    Stick with the grease. While maintenance is less and you can see when fluid gets milky you know water has entered into the system. I converted oil hubs to grease. Friend in club had oil on his boat and on the way to Tenn. his seal failed and before he notice it had destroyed the hub and spindle. With grease if the seals failed you can continue to add grease and keep moving. Oil seal fails you wont get far...Just my two cents..

8. Member
    I wouldn't do it.....just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by blazin461 View Post
    IMO..........I really think that oil cooled hubs are much easier maintenance. Add oil if neccessary, sight window lets you see if oil is milky and might have a leak, and oil won't break down like grease will. The trailer industry wouldn't be converting to it if there were no advantages.

10. Member
    i have the cool hubs on my 2000 ranger and no problems in 19 years,i also have the seals and hub covers to convert to grease,i all ways look at mine for any sign of a leak inside and outside for oil on tires and rims,i change oil every year but i think they are good for 20,000 miles,its a toss up to change them or not,i was told most problems comes from guys not installing them right

Did everyone notice that the OP posted this thread in 2006!

Be that as it may, my COOL Hubs left me on the side of the road the first year I had them on my 2001 rig...both were a result of faulty installation at the factory. And, I had one that always would leak a little, despite everything being changed out a coupe of times. Based on my almost 40 years of towing bass boats, greased hubs are about as bullet proof as it gets...as long as the hubs are not over-greased, causing the rear seal to blow.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments