Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bearing help/understanding

I have a 2016 skeeter custom ez load trailer. I bought boat and trailer in 2019. I have yet to "mess" with the bearings, nor am I having any issues, but guessing its time before I am fixing more than that. I am not sure what type of bearings I have, but after looking at some vids, I am thinking they are a form of vault bearing, but there are no markings to say so.
    Q#1- how do I know what kind of bearings.
    Q#2- how much concern if I "mix" different kinds of grease.
    Q#3- If I end up replacing everything, is the only way to know what size, is to take apart, measure, and then order.

Thanks in advance. Never done bearings before other than the old....taking the cap off put grease in and keep going.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Q1: Bearings are all basically the same. They vary in size, particularly on Ranger trailers. The lubrication method varies. Some use a thick grease that is hand packed into the bearing. Some use oil or thinner grease.

Q2: Do not mix grease within a hub unless you know it’s okay. Some grease thickeners are incompatible and can result in a breakdown of the thickener.

Q3: It’s highly unlikely you’d need to replace anything but seals, and maybe spindle wear sleeves. Barring water intrusion, improper maintenance or improper installation, your bearings could probably go 100,000 miles.

Bearing maintenance is cleaning, inspection, repacking and proper spindle nut tightening. First step though is identifying your system.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone !! If you have a Cool Hub, make sure the Oil level is ok. Jack each wheel up and grab the sides of the tire and try to 'wiggle' it. There should be NO movement. Then spin the wheel and listen for a rubbing sound, other than the Disc Brake rubbing the Rotor. Check for any leaking front and rear. If all is well, go on to other things..
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    If you do need to replace any bearings there will be numbers on them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    This should be a permanent sticky post

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I know they are not oil bath hubs, and true, if i aint broke don't fix it....but i like to stay in front of things to the of my ability. I try to as informed as possible before i go into something that Iam not familiar with, hence all the questions. I hope my deep dive has me on point. I believe they are a kind of vault style bearing system. So I will knock off the hub cap, clean, shoot grease into the spindle port, then fill the cap 3/4 full and put back on. As long as the....jack, shake and listen piece goes good. I just wish I had someone to say, yes those are vault style hubs to give me the warm and fuzzies.
    Thanks again guys!!!
    GO DOLPHINS

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
    Thanks guys. I know they are not oil bath hubs, and true, if i aint broke don't fix it....but i like to stay in front of things to the of my ability. I try to as informed as possible before i go into something that Iam not familiar with, hence all the questions. I hope my deep dive has me on point. I believe they are a kind of vault style bearing system. So I will knock off the hub cap, clean, shoot grease into the spindle port, then fill the cap 3/4 full and put back on. As long as the....jack, shake and listen piece goes good. I just wish I had someone to say, yes those are vault style hubs to give me the warm and fuzzies.
    Thanks again guys!!!
    GO DOLPHINS
    There is only a Vault Hub and not a Vault Hub. If they are Vault, the cap will say so. They use a special grease.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Scraps
    If it ain’t broke don’t break it. I’ve fallen prey to doing bearing maintenance “proactively” and leading to problems.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    So is there a "sealed, maintenance free" kind of/type of hub?
    Def not oil bath and no grease fittings to grease.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
    So is there a "sealed, maintenance free" kind of/type of hub?
    Def not oil bath and no grease fittings to grease.
    If you could post a picture of the hub we can probably give better advice. What Catfan told you is right on. Bearing maintenance is something that every boat owner needs to get familiar with. I learned by trial and error and reading this forum. I learned what bearings and seals I needed by just taking everything off and taking it to NAPA. Now, I buy Timken bearings off Amazon. You can also get some pretty good wheel bearing maintenance knowledge from YouTube.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Thumbs Up

If you need more information Call Adam, (BBC Sponsor here with a discount code)

Brakes 4 Trailers https://brakes4trailers.com/
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

13. Member
    Don't mix greases. You can spin the wheel and listen, a bad bearing will make a grumbling noise, especially if your ear is on the frame or another solid object held against the frame. Disc or really any brakes can drag slightly, making a different sound.
    After you service, repack a bearing set, roller bearing end play can be set by tightening the nut very firmly, then loosening it until you can slide the washer side to side. This is about .001"and it has worked for me for 60+ years.
    You pack (by hand) a roller bearing from the side after cleaning, then you can lube the center of the roller. If you lube spindles from a Zerk fitting, you are supposed to roll the wheel as you add grease.
    Don't make book if you cannot cover bet, and hide your reefer if the Counselor comes around.....Oh, sorry, T M I...

Attached are product manuals for both the Vault and Vortex hubs. These should give you an idea of which you have and the manuals give complete bearing, grease and seal requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Thanks for posting the manuals. Someday I will need to service my Vault hubs but I’m not going to do so until I see that it is needed. Since my boats are either on a lift or at a dock my trailers seldom get dunked in the water these days.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Thanks for posting the manuals. Someday I will need to service my Vault hubs but I’m not going to do so until I see that it is needed. Since my boats are either on a lift or at a dock my trailers seldom get dunked in the water these days.
    I would at least jack it up and check end play on axle nut.

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Attached are product manuals for both the Vault and Vortex hubs. These should give you an idea of which you have and the manuals give complete bearing, grease and seal requirements.
    Vortex seems to be better cuzz you can do maintenance, grease them, without taking them apart like you have to with the Vaults? My Vaults are now six years old and haven't done a thing to them. Waiting for the day something goes wrong. Was wondering if putting something like trim restorer on the seals would help with seal failure.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Guys....sorry I have not thanked, or responded, had to jump to new project, radiator in my ram

Someone asked for pics, so here they are. I hope they help as much as you guys have.

.IMG_1803.jpgIMG_1802.jpgIMG_1804.jpg

Those are UFP / Dexter DB35, how big is the hub cap, there is a 1.99" and a 2-3/8" option, hard to tell in a photo. That would determine the bearings. The smaller would be a tapered spindle two different bearings, the larger would be a straight spindle, same bearing inner and outer. Those appear to be vault caps, so you should be using the Hybrid Oil.
    088-013-00 is the number for the oil and your seal would be the 010-172-00 with either bearing combo. We have both in stock.
    You could also switch those vault caps out for Bearing Buddies if you prefer and run any marine grease.
    Last edited by Jake@B4T; 01-25-2024 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added info

20. Member
    Jake@B4T, So I have no issues. It's a 2016 and 100% sure no maintenance has been done.

Not broke don't fix it?
    Is this a plug and play replacement...Rotor/hub?
    If its oil, where do I fill or replace old oil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast