Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

whitetail calibers

ive noticed alot of people going towards magnum deer rifles and super long shots.well heres my truth! 600 yds is not hunting its shooting, it requires the skill and stealth of a hippo to get into that range of a deer. next even though i rarely use a 300win mag on deer, it is severe overkill, ive never seen a deer that was big enuff to use anything more than a 270 win(not wsm either) people need to start relyng on skill instead of firepower! their are people who kill deer than there are people who dont so they buy a bigger gun! most deer that escape wounded are because of the hunter not the gun. learn to shoot accurately. than if u wound one i guess buy a mortar!

2. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (huntr4lif)

Who pi$$ed in your cherios this morning? Secondly...what is wrong with the .270 WSM? Look at the ballistics of that little number and you will soon see that it is purely BAD TO THE BONE...compaired to almost anything out there!!!! So much for your knowledge of guns!!!!!! Here is a pic of my last deer before it got shot...Oh, not by me...I called in an air strike while watching out the window from the warmth of my bedroom!!!! No better way to hunt if you ask me.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

3. Member

I can see some of your point. BUT....I also enjoy long-range shooting. My longest personal shot on a white-tail is 432yds. He didn't go 20yds after the shot. I have taken many hogs over 250yds, and was usually able to get multiple hogs at one time (get several shots off before they got out of sight).

Probably 95% of all my shooting is done under 100yards. But, I'm not scared to air one out either. If that's not "your thing"....That's your business. But, please don't try & tell me what I should be shooting......

P.S....I have been eye-balling a new 7mm-08 real hard lately. I rarely get opportunity to hunt places with good long range shooting opportunities anymore, and I think that is a bang-up all-around caliber for pretty much anyting out to 200yds. It's much more forgiving on the shoulder than some of the calibers I have shot in the past too.

By the way....(stealth of a hippo) ....Just how much "stealth" do you think it takes to get with-in 200yards??? Just kidding with you.

Oh yeah....I almost forgot....Welcome to the BBC! You're gonna fit right in!!!

4. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (Longrodder)

u miss the meaning, people are starting to turn hunting into a target shoot. seeing a deer at 500 yds and shooting 500 yds is no requierment of hunting skill. seeng one at 600 and getting to 100 is hunting!

5. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (looking4five)

shooting at long range is no big deal.when u hav exhausted all efforts to get as close as u possibly can.but to risk crippling just to sho off is at least un-ethical,besides most people who honestly think they are capable shots out past 250 yds are sorely mistaken. it takes practice and skill not arangefinder and the biggest magnum u can buy

6. Member

didn't say the 270 wsm wasnt good. but that dont change the fact its excessive. take a look at the ballistics for the 408 cheytac or the 338 edge ballistics for them are nothin short of excellent either!

7. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by huntr4lif &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u miss the meaning, people are starting to turn hunting into a target shoot. seeing a deer at 500 yds and shooting 500 yds is no requierment of hunting skill. seeng one at 600 and getting to 100 is hunting!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you mean. Getting one inside of 20yds, and shooting it with stick & string is even more fun to me. I just happen to enjoy both extreems.....Lots of people do! I am able to see where you are coming from, it's just easy to take, as you trying to tell me what "I" <U>should</U> be shooting. That don't fly too well with most folks.

I wish ALL inexperienced shooters would either learn about trajectory & the ballistics of their personal gun, or atleast shoot a gun that is relatively flat shooting, out to around 200 yards. I think we would see a lot less wounded & lost deer that way....That's just my opinion though, for what little it's worth.

8. Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by huntr4lif &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u miss the meaning, people are starting to turn hunting into a target shoot. seeing a deer at 500 yds and shooting 500 yds is no requierment of hunting skill. seeng one at 600 and getting to 100 is hunting!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hunting is hunting, I shot all my deer in the last several years at less than 50 yds with the the closest being at less than 10 yds away. That in no way took any more skill than the hunter out west that shot a deer at 300 yds. I found out where they were crossing and sat there and waited for them to cross, no huge amount of skill involved there. If it wasn't for the fact that I like to eat deer meat so much I wouldn't even bother hunt them, I prefer snowshoe hare hunting with beagles over deer hunting any day of the week.

If you want to go for a purely skill type of hunting maybe you should try hunting predators, they are far more challenging than a stupid ol' Whitetail deer anyway

9. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (DIXIEDOG)

no i prefer spring gobbler

10. Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by huntr4lif &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i prefer spring gobbler</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turkeys are the same way though, find out where they are hanging out, set up a ground blind and shoot them when they come out For challenging hunts try Bobcats, you will no longer be the hunter... you will have become the hunted

11. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (DIXIEDOG)

Spot and stalk public land antelope with a bow!!!!!! Can't possibly be any harder hunt!!!! No water hole hunting...although that ain't no walk in the park either...but just spot one...and go after him. Tough way to spend your hard earned money!!! First time I tried it...I had 5 days to hunt...WRONG ANSWER!!!!!!! Now I make sure I have 2 weeks vacation!!!!!!!!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

12. Member

I like to be close enough to hear the leaves crunching underfoot because it's more exciting to me. Otherwise it's more like sniping and not my cup of tea but I don't lecture anyone about their choice.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

13. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (looking4five)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by looking4five &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

P.S....I have been eye-balling a new 7mm-08 real hard lately. I rarely get opportunity to hunt places with good long range shooting opportunities anymore, and I think that is a bang-up all-around caliber for pretty much anyting out to 200yds. It's much more forgiving on the shoulder than some of the calibers I have shot in the past too.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like my 7mm-08 a lot. 140 grain is like shooting 20 ga. birdshot. Shooting my neighbor's model 70 30-06 (prone) with 180 grains recently reminded me of why I went with something lighter.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

14. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (BP in ME)

7 mag here for the past 5yrs. I shot many of deer under 300yds. Shot at one last year around 340 to 350 and barely missed it. Got alot of white hair . Now with the 308 bull barrel i got its game on for having some fun. 4 deer down in 2 weeks.

Now with the bow. Dont get me started on that. I can shoot a target all day but cant hit a deer to save my life

15. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (James john)

7mm rem mag or any of the .284 family awsome round for most hunting in the US.I shot a 7mm08 my whole life and love it and im not affraid to make a long shot with it.But my favorite is the 7mm rem mag with 64.5gr of 4350 and a hornady 154 interbond. and it takes alot of skill and time to be able to shoot at long distances acurately but it all in wherever your confidance level is. if u put the right bullet in the right places it doesnt matter what size gun your hunting deer with its all about shot placement

16. Member

I think what he's saying is that if you shoot anything larger than a 270 you can't shoot, I shoot a 300 remington ultra mag so I must really suck. If you want to shoot pop guns that is fine I could care less but please don't make assumptions on skill based on caliber selection, the reason I shoot a large gun is because I only own one big rifle, I am very familiar whith it and the way it shoots and I can use it on anything from coyotes to brown bear.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

I reckon everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Calling out everyone who shoots a larger caliber than you deem sufficient is probably not the way to make an entrance to a new forum.

Some guys like shooting the big calibers, and that is OK with me.

Using your logic, anyone who deer hunts with anything but a recurve or longbow is guilty of having no skill...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

18. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (Swamp Donkey)

amen!!!!

19. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (TobyG.Mo)

if u want to hunt with a magnum thats fine i own several myself,but what im saying is alot of people count on magnums to make up for poor shot placement . we owe it to our sport to exhaust all efforts to make a clean humane kill wether its with a 22lr or a 50 bmg.

20. Member

Re: whitetail calibers (adchunts)

no, calling out peple who use magnums to relace poor shot placement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast