Swimming a scope

anybody ever shim a scope? I went to sight my new rifle and scope in yesterday and at 100 yds I was hitting about 17 inches low. I adjusted it out but I was thinking about slightly raising the back of the scope. Whats your thoughts?

Just noticed the title of the thread. Lol. Should have read shimming a scope.
    Last edited by 20basstriton; 08-31-2020 at 07:29 PM.

2. Member
    If you have a modern rifle, with correct mounts, rings, and a scope; and you’re off 17” at 100 yards, I think something isn’t right. Is it possible the mounts are reversed? Does the scope rattle/crosshairs move when they shouldn’t? That’s a long way to be off IMO

jim

3. Member
    The rifle is a Sig 716 g2. The scope is a sig kilo1800 bdx and the mount is a Burris P.E.P.R. Nothing seems to be loose. And everything seems to be installed correctly

4. Member

5. Member
    Bad idea! Rather than trying to overcome a major flaw you need to put forth the effort to find it. Where is the scope now within its realm of adjustment? If close to center now someone likely screwed with it before mounting it. If not the most likely is a defective scope and you can check that by installing another scope to use as a test. This is all dependent on proper mounting techniques to begin with. From this point on there is a long list of things that can be a problem on an AR platform that can range from issues with the upper, the scope mount, bad barrel crown, improperly torqued barrel nut and on and on. Any way you look at it, trying to shim a scope on such a platform for such an issue is a bad idea.

6. Member
    Gunsmiths shim scopes all the time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Gunsmiths shim scopes all the time.
    Not in an attempt to overcome an issue like this they don't. Well, at least the good ones don't. Shimming and wedging should only be done when altering a particular setup for distance shooting when no other option is available. In the OPs case he has an issue with over the counter parts or installation that needs to be taken care of properly rather than botched even further.

you need to come up roughly 17moa or 4.7 mills up. is there a zerostop on the elevation turret? if the scope is maxed out in the "up" position and still 17" low there's something wrong. a 20moa mount would bandaid, but I would not shim. sig kilo1800 bdx is a range finder.
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

That scope is designed to be used with the BDX rangefinder. I’m suspecting there’s an issue with the scope itself. I have that mount and it is rock solid. I’d look at swapping the scope or borrow one to see how it does. Was it bore sighted prior to shooting? If not try that and see where it aligns.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

10. Member
    I'm going to take the scope and mount back off and reset everything and start back over. If I have the same issue I'll try another scope and if I don't see a difference I'll start looking at the rifle. Thanks for all the help.

11. Member
    Is it on with iron sights? If so you can rule out the rifle issues and look for scope or mount problems