Banned

10 Commandments of Gun Safety

Last edited by Tom G.; 12-15-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (Hoosierbasser)

11) there are few things more dangerous than an "unloaded" gun. Don't take anyones word (not even your own) that a firearm is unloaded. Check and double check the load status of every firearm you handle
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

3. Member

Myself and my son just went to a hunter education class. Mostly for him. This statement can not be over emphasized. My son did great on his first dove hunt as far as safety goes. We did not get very many but saftey is what mattered the most. And you know how crazy and stupid some people get when dove hunting or otherwise. Some adults need to reattend this class!!
    It\'s a dog eat dog world out there and I\'m wearing milk bone underwear! \"Norm Peterson\" Cheers.

4. Banned

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (cw95bronc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cw95bronc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Myself and my son just went to a hunter education class. Mostly for him. This statement can not be over emphasized. My son did great on his first dove hunt as far as safety goes. We did not get very many but saftey is what mattered the most. And you know how crazy and stupid some people get when dove hunting or otherwise. Some adults need to reattend this class!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

12. Attend a state sponsored hunter safety education class... Too much education is never enough when gun safety is discussed!!!!

5. Banned

all very good tips also, keep in mind the young kids that look up to us, are the future. Teach them the correct way, patience. Teach them that sitting and waiting, scouting, planning, is the correct way. i see and hear of way too many youngsters that want to get up and walk, ride the four-wheeler, ride around till they see something. this teaches them nothing, they don't get the full effect of a "true" hunt. so sit with them that extra 30 minutes when they want to get up, it'll just take that one experience, when that 30 minutes pays off in a big way!

6. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (jseasor)

I had a friend killed a few years back by one of those "unloaded" guns. Safe handling of our firearms is everybit as important as wearing your lifejackets in the boat. Bullets are alot less forgiving than water can be.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

7. Member

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (cmclairday2)

I'll tell a story on myself about an "unloaded" gun.

Back in my younger days, I got involved in IPSC pistol shooting (International Practical Shooting Confederation). It's a "combat" shooting game for handguns. I had modified one of the magazines for my 1911 Colt Auto to hold eight rounds, rather than the standard seven as an experiement. A couple of extra rounds might save you a reload, which would save time during the course of a "run."

Came home from the range one day, dropped the magazine out of the pistol, and stripped off the rounds. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. That's all of them. Pointed the pistol at a bookcase, dropped the hammer (pulled the trigger) and BOOM!! I forget the one in the chamber. A 1911 is supposed to hold eight, COUNTING the one in the chamber. With my modified magazine, it now held nine.

Praise the Lord I did have enough sense to point the weapon in a safe direction. Blew a hole in the side of the bookcase, clipped the tops of a few books, went out the other side, and made a dent in the metal frame of the sliding glass door big enough to stick your thumb in. Oddly enough, neither I nor anyone else in the house heard the BOOM. My wife's uncle in the next room thought I had "popped a primer" reloading. My wife and my mother in law neither one even heard it.

Scared the Begebbers out of me when I realized what had happened, which took a second. With the magazine out, the gun went back to battery so fast I didn't see it happen. I don't to this day remember hearing anything as a I said. I sat there a minute wondering "what happened?" Then it hit me. HOLY XXXXXXXXXX It went off!!!"

No gun is unloaded.

8. Member

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (CajunBass)

great tips, I ahve seen a lot of people who need to study these and the really make me nervous

9. Member

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (rlayne0002)

I like "Keep your buger hook off the bang button"... personally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodlettsville Gun Shop
    602 S. Main St
    Goodlettsville Tn 37072
    ggunshop@bellsouth.net

10. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (GLOCKMIESTER)

There is no such thing as an "unloaded gun"

I tell my son and daughter this constantly......always treat a gun as though it's loaded.....there is no such thing as being too careful with a gun.

11. Member

Re: 10 Commandmants of Gun Safety (Rangerhgm)

This past weekend I took my son and his uncle in law to shoot blue rock. My son was safety first and his uncle had no clue about gun safety. He got mad because my son was telling him gun safety with his muzzle and finger in he trigger. He bought a 12 gauge and stuck my sons 20 gauge shells in it and kept on argueing with me that the guy at Walmart told him that he can use any shell he wants in his gun. He had his finger on trigger walking around so I told him becareful since my my son and my dog are around. He gets mad at me and goes off at saying that I was disrespecting him. He has been around guns before this time. He started to threatened to fight with me and was about to point the gun at me. I told him screw it and told him l am leaving. Later I was reading my sons text message on his phone and he was ready to shoot his uncle if he pointed his gun at me. I am real proud of my son for having my back in a bad situation. That will be the last time I ever talk or be around with that idiot.

1990 Procraft Family Fisher 190
    1989 Johnson GT200 #G2583826

12. Member
    I had an accidental discharge on a firearm several years ago that resulted in a nasty wound on my left forearm. The craziness starts after the gunshot ! Ever see an animal hit by a shot then run around. I did that. I ran upstairs and downstairs looking for my cellphone that I was wearing ! I ran upstairs looking for a clean towel and I was near a pile of them in the kitchen. I about bled out AND had a heart attack running around the house. Blood everywhere, (mine!) there was so much blood a CSI team couldn't figure what happened.

13. Member
    About 80 percent of the "Negligent" dishcharges that I have seen in the Army have been when Soldiers drop the magazine then fail to clear the chamber.....It is a common problem with Semi/Autos.....Drop magazine pull charging handle or upper slide back, observe chamber release bolt, point weapon down range or in a clearing barrel squeeze trigger....Listen for click, put weapon back on safe...Obviously in a civilian situation you may not be able to dry fire weapon to ensure weapon is clear...I usually leave the bolt locked back when possible...