Express Boat Discussion

I just bought a brand new 2021 Express H18 Bass Boat with a 115 Yamaha. Beautiful. But when up on plane, it leans to the left. Salesman and mechanic from dealership took it out and said it was fine. It is not. The manufacturer will depend on the dealership to file a warranty claim if there is any work to do, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Question... is this something that I am going to have to live with? Otherwise it rides great, but the steering is a little squirrely it seems. A little scary in rough water but I'm used to a flat bottom boat. Had a War Eagle with a 90 hp but rough water beat my teeth out. Any advice on getting it to not lean?

2. Member
    Are you having to steer to the right to keep it level (is the boat pulling to the left)? Have you tried relocating tackle, batteries, etc. to even the load across the boat?

3. Member
    Yes exactly. I'm having to steer slightly to the right to keep it level. It does not "pull" to the left, but goes there easy if I let it. I have tried to balance it out as much as possible and still it leans. In other words, if I level it up, it fades to the right, so that I'm always having to cleat to the left, which makes it lean. It's almost like the motor is not on correct but that's not possible, is it?

4. Member
    Have you checked your trim tab (small fin above the propeller)? If it is turned too much in one direction it could be part of the problem. If it were mounted incorrectly I would assume that it is not 100% perpendicular to the bottom of the boat, causing the boat to try to pull in that direction. I would keep on it with the dealer and include the manufacturer in any correspondence until you get the problem solved.

5. Member
    The trim tab has been adjusted. It is turned all the way to the right and that took care of a hard pull and gave more control back to the steering. Thank you so much for your reply. If I had test driven that boat, I would have walked away, for that reason. Other features about it are nice. Price is nice also, but there is that thought in the back of my head about getting what you pay for. More seat time and I can evaluate more. Thanks a bunch!

6. Member
    You're welcome. That's it for my ideas. You may want to repost on the Xpress boat forum. Guys with the same or similar boats might have had the same issue and can be of more help than us Ranger owners. LOL!