Thread: my plan....

my plan....

My plan for this year is to get the van towable. The other is to get a boat by next year. I had planed on getting pontoon for family and friends but then after a lot of reading and concideration. I am going to get a bass boat since itll be easier to unload and load. Im looking for something that will be good in kind of rough waters and not lean when me and a friend fishes same sides. Now to all of you who have owned and been on different brand boats. Whats a good one out there. Im not looking to get a new but a new used boat. Somewhere in the 90's models. I plan on taking some boating classes with the wife also. So if anybody can help me then itll great.

When nothings hitting. Try drifting senko\'s

Re: my plan.... (driftingsenko)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by driftingsenko &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">My plan for this year is to get the van towable. The other is to get a boat by next year. I had planed on getting pontoon for family and friends but then after a lot of reading and concideration. I am going to get a bass boat since itll be easier to unload and load. Im looking for something that will be good in kind of rough waters and not lean when me and a friend fishes same sides. Now to all of you who have owned and been on different brand boats. Whats a good one out there. Im not looking to get a new but a new used boat. Somewhere in the 90's models. I plan on taking some boating classes with the wife also. So if anybody can help me then itll great.</td></tr></table>

Driftingsenko,

Since you are considering a pontoon for the room (family & friends), you may want to look at a salt water bay boat. There are a lot of great deals out there right now and I expect to see more since the gulf may be messed up for a long long time. There are some nice setups available now for even less than a bass boat. Should be able to find a nice late 90's model for under $10,000 without much trouble at all (and I mean nice).

Last year I bought a 2001 Skeeter ZX2200 bay boat for some of the same reasons you describe in what you want above.

A lot of bay boats have the same large front and rear casting areas of bass boats, but more "family & friends" room. They are usually 19 to 24' long and have higher gunnels (sides) and are made to handle rougher water than your average bass boat as they usually have a 15 degree or greater deadrise at the transom. They are also beefier as they take more of a pounding in salt water, and all the fittings are salt water rated and will last forever in local lakes. No carpet and you just hose the fiberglass off, plus most have a wash down pump on board and two bait tanks and a huge fish box. Bay boats are a little slower than bass boats due to the size & weight, but they are a lot faster than a pontoon. It is also harder to push around in the wind thanks to that weight, where an aluminum boat or pontoon is like a feather in the wind. An added plus is you can take it to the bay/gulf/ocean/intercoastal waterway anytime you want. About the only drawbacks I can think of are you might only be able to go in 1.5' deep water instead of 8" water and you can't go 95mph in one (unless you get one with tripple 350 outboards on it for $500,000 plus). Yep, mid to high 50's is enough for me.

From what you said you wanted in a boat, I think it's worth considering. Here are some photos of mine and I use it mainly for bass/crappie/catfish/striper in the larger inland waters. I have never had it in salt water, nor did the prior owner.

PS - the wife (and family dog) love to just ride around in ours. I can't get her to fish, but we have a great time just enjoying the boat some days without even a single rod on board. I also have another bass boat and she won't go riding in that as she say's it is not comfortable for just riding.

Oh, and I've had myself and 5 others out in the bay boat fishing and were very comfortable - try that in a bass boat.

3. Member

Re: my plan.... (driftingsenko)

I have the same issues with wanting to fish and have a family boat, so I went with the fish n ski model. I have an 18 foot ranger 377v fish n ski with a 150 johnson. Its a 93 and paid 5000 boat is in excellent condition i use it to fish tournaments and its great for tubing and skiing. They are great multi purpose boats and you get the high performance hull of a bass boat so they are fun to drive and easy to load and mine is good on fuel as well