New to bass boats - which one?

I've pretty much been a center console or bay boat with 4-stroke owner up to now and currently have a Nauticstar 2200 TE bay boat with Suzuki DF175 and Minnkota Riptide 80lb trolling motor.

I recently joined a small bass club here in Raleigh, NC, and am considering getting a bassboat. So far all I have ridden in were an older Ranger 375 and a 2005 Ranger 520, hopefully I'll get a chance to coangler a Triton soon. The 520 was fairly impressive as far as ride and stability went, not so much the 375.

The club only fishes once a month, so if I got a boat it would be mainly for me to fish Kerr (Buggs Island) lake and possibly Falls or Jordan, although those two are really a pain to fish on weekends.

Dealer choices in a reasonably driving distance are Overby's for Beeline and Phoenix, Collins for Ranger and Stratos, Anglers Choice for Triton, Stratos, and I think Ranger as well, R&K Marine for BassCat, and of course the local Nitro dealers.

Any suggestions for new or less than 5 year old makes/models and recommended engines? Any bad experiences with any of these brands or dealers?

Looking more for stable ride in chop (Kerr gets heavy rollers and chop when the wind is blowing) and stability while fishing than speed (anything over 45 mph would be fast compared to what I have run before), and I'm even interested in models that would work well with a 4-stroke, although I have nothing against Optimax or HDPI.

I feel myself already getting snooty and leaning toward a Ranger, but that is probably more their rep and name recognition than anything else, although they do seem finished off a little better than Stratos.

School me please
    Boatless again but looking forward to Spring

Re: New to bass boats - which one? (shemstreet)

With the list of dealers and boats they represent you mentioned it would seem that you are in a good position to get some demo rides in most of the leading brands, everything from Ranger to Beeline. All of those major brands you mentioned are good boats with just a few small differences between each. I would say take your time and look at used until you find the one that you are the most comfortable with.

For my money I would be looking at a 19 or 20 footer with either a 200 or 225 for power.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.
    Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

3. Member

Re: New to bass boats - which one? (bassindon2)

Welcome to the boards Scott...look at all of the brands and consider the type of water you will be fishing and the $$ in your pocket. There are a lot of really great deals out there on later model used boats due to the economy and a great deal of money can be saved by searching until you find what you want.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, yes, I am keeping an eye on craigs list and boat trader for newer used ones. All suggestions welcomed.

Are any of the out of production brands worth a look (Sprint, Javelin, Hydrasports, etc.)?

5. Member

Re: (shemstreet)

Since you're looking for a boat that handles rough water well, may I suggest you look at a Champion?

6. Banned

Re: (bled1)

Hey Scott. I live not to far from Kerr if you want to get the feel of a Stratos give me a shout. I have an 08 200XL with a 225 opitmax proxs. I bought it from Anglers Choice.

7. Member

Re: (Sterling)

Hi Sterling, thanks for the offer. Will keep that in mind as I get closer to making a decision. How was Angler's Choice to deal with? They are a possible, as is Collins. Not sure if I want to drive all the way to Greene's, although they do have some nice looking boats on their site.

8. Member
    Ok, if I move over to looking at used, any recommendations or warnings about various 150 hp engines?

I know a 4-stroke can easily last 4000 hrs and longer than I would finance a boat, but how long do the 2-strokes last in bass boat applications?

If used I would likely lean towards an 18' model instead of a 20' replacement for the bay boat.

How about instead of recommendations we get some warnings from former owners of problem boats?

9. BBC SPONSOR

If you are looking at used, make sure to get it checked out by a mechanic! Everyone has their opinion on which motor is better, my choice is in my siggy. That being said, all four or five of the major brands make good motors. All of the major boat manufacturers make pretty good boats, it may come down to color or options, it may come down to taking a test ride and deciding on ride and deck layout. I will say, if at all possible, AVOID tubular trailers, they WILL rust from the inside out. Try to get one on a "C Channel" trailer if at all possible. Other than that, find one that catches your eye, and that you like, warranty is never a bad thing either.
    As for my personal experience, I LOVE MY STRATOS and my ETEC! See if you can take a ride in a few, if the deaer won't arrange it or allow it, walk away!

10. Member

not sure of many problems with used boats in particular, what year range are you looking at. Most boats can have a few problems, get fixed by a dealer and be the best boat you have ever owned, I think if you want to know about problems with boats you may need to be a little more specific, perhaps boat make and model, year range, things like that. Most 2 strokes will last as long as you take care of it with things like cleaning, regular service and so forth

08 BASS CAT PANTERA IV
    08 MERCURY 200HP OPTI

08 NISSAN TITAN CC 4x4
    07 POLARIS OUTLAW 500
    \"Leave no doubt, They shouldn\'t have played the old Gold and Blue, not this night\"

11. Member

Re: (fastoutlaw69)

Angler's Choice has a good website listing all there used boats. I didn't by my boat from them but I have heard that they are great to deal with and people from all over the country buy from them. They have a good service and parts department and have given me great deals.

12. Member

Re: (Stroker Ace)

Looks like I made my choice. I hit Angler's Choice during their open house and managed to work a deal on a 2003 Ranger 185VX with 150 Optimax. When they were getting it ready for me they noticed a problem with the idle and worked with the seller to get it fixed at no cost to me, but waiting for the part means I can't get it tomorrow, have to wait until next Sat. Oh well, better to have it in good running shape when I leave there than have to drag it back for a quick fix later.

Anyone from the Raleigh area have preferences for annual service on Optimax engines? Angler's Choice had good people, but they are also over 2.5 hours from me. I am used to Chatlee for my Zuke and Overby's when I had Hondas, both also sell Optimax engines. Any other suggestions in the area to try?

Re: New to bass boats - which one? (shemstreet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shemstreet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've pretty much been a center console or bay boat with 4-stroke owner up to now and currently have a Nauticstar 2200 TE bay boat with Suzuki DF175 and Minnkota Riptide 80lb trolling motor.

I recently joined a small bass club here in Raleigh, NC, and am considering getting a bassboat. So far all I have ridden in were an older Ranger 375 and a 2005 Ranger 520, hopefully I'll get a chance to coangler a Triton soon. The 520 was fairly impressive as far as ride and stability went, not so much the 375.

The club only fishes once a month, so if I got a boat it would be mainly for me to fish Kerr (Buggs Island) lake and possibly Falls or Jordan, although those two are really a pain to fish on weekends.

Dealer choices in a reasonably driving distance are Overby's for Beeline and Phoenix, Collins for Ranger and Stratos, Anglers Choice for Triton, Stratos, and I think Ranger as well, R&K Marine for BassCat, and of course the local Nitro dealers.

Any suggestions for new or less than 5 year old makes/models and recommended engines? Any bad experiences with any of these brands or dealers?

Looking more for stable ride in chop (Kerr gets heavy rollers and chop when the wind is blowing) and stability while fishing than speed (anything over 45 mph would be fast compared to what I have run before), and I'm even interested in models that would work well with a 4-stroke, although I have nothing against Optimax or HDPI.

I feel myself already getting snooty and leaning toward a Ranger, but that is probably more their rep and name recognition than anything else, although they do seem finished off a little better than Stratos.

School me please</TD></TR></TABLE>

That Ranger 520 is a great boat, can't go wrong if you bought one of those!
    2008 Z520/Yamaha 250

14. Member

Re: New to bass boats - which one? (briansgi)

what about the 2003 Ranger 185VX he said he bought a few days before your post?

Shem - congrats on the boat! If you're anything like me, you prolly can't wait. And you wanna drive up there after work just to look at it, even if it is that far away.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

15. Member

Re: New to bass boats - which one? (1781ccT)

Yes, it's the 185VX. Maybe in the future I'll look at an older 520 or 208, but first I have to learn to run the beast and find a buyer for the bay boat, and this one looks like it will be a good choice.

If Angler's Choice were closer I would likely be visiting the boat and checking on it, but two and a half hours to just look at the boat is a bit much. Hope they don't get much snow between now and then, just want to get her home and see if I can fit her in the garage. Crossing my fingers that I can at least run her around one of the lakes Sunday.