Thread: live well

live well

How many of you use your live well? Except tournament fishing most of the
    people I know use an ice chest. They say because here in south Louisiana
    the water temp is too warm and the fish will die. I'm about to make my first
    boat purchase and wondering if I should get the optional pump out and all that
    if I end up just using an ice chest.

Re: live well (sacmaster)

Only used for tournaments.
    I am a catch and release fisherman.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

3. Banned

Re: live well (illinifish)

Not a legal option in Maine. You either have to kill the fish immediately or turn it back unless it's a licensed tournament. I think they implemented it to prevent some of the illegal stocking of fish that happened in the past. I love to bass fish but it sucks that people put them in ponds that only have trout, it destroys the fishery, let alone when they introduce northern pike

Welcome to the boards

I'd get the options just for resale value. When I was looking for boats it came down to three and the first to go was one without all the bells and whistles. If you have a tournament ready rig and you need to sell it the buyer is probably going to want it with the pump-out system.

JimAndy Turner
    02 Procraft 210 Super Pro
    02 Mercury 225 EFI
    "After Darkness Light"

5. Member

Like above,,get the pumpout and aeration systems. Even if you fish for the table you can keep them alive til you finish the lunch and drinks in a small chest and then put the fish in without ruining the drinks and lunch. Also, if you catch one or two you can release them . I fish in South LA and don't have much problems with the fish going belly up.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replys. Yea, the resale thing makes sense. I don't fish tournaments but the next guy might.

7. Member

Re: live well (DIXIEDOG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIXIEDOG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I think they implemented it to prevent some of the illegal stocking of fish that happened in the past. I love to bass fish but it sucks that people put them in ponds that only have trout, it destroys the fishery, let alone when they introduce northern pike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget the friggin crappie that are being stocked everywhere. Another reason for the law is people culling for their dinner limit and "releasing" half-dead fish that've been on a stringer for 6 hours.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

8. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sacmaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many of you use your live well? Except tournament fishing most of the
    people I know use an ice chest. They say because here in south Louisiana
    the water temp is too warm and the fish will die. I'm about to make my first
    boat purchase and wondering if I should get the optional pump out and all that
    if I end up just using an ice chest.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm from south la [houma] and fished there for 30 years. now live in dallas area and bass fish. south la is not near as hot as it is here in the summer and keeping fish alive in the livewell is no prob if you do it right. use catch and release formula and add ice to the water if it gets too hot. i fish tournaments and have never lost a fish in the livewell.

2008 Z7 / 150 Optimax - SOLD

9. Banned

Re: live well (BP in ME)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BP in ME &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't forget the friggin crappie that are being stocked everywhere. Another reason for the law is people culling for their dinner limit and "releasing" half-dead fish that've been on a stringer for 6 hours.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only problem I have with the law is if somebody kept a 2lb fish to fill their limit and then they catch a 5 lb fish what do you suppose they do with the 2 lb fish. Back in the lake it goes, I see several fish with their bellies cut floating each year when I go fishing, I only keep hornpout and an occasional trout/salmon but many people fill their freezer and I would prefer they toss a half dead fish back in the lake than a completely dead one at least 1 has a chance to survive.

Use your livewell for your bass, that's what it's there for. Just be sure and keep it clean. One exception to use a cooler for sure would be for bream. They will make an absolute mess in that livewell. Crappie aren't near as bad, but if you ever decide to do some bream fishin, use a cooler.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

11. Member
    Ragin-Cajuns has it figured out. Livewells work, but in hot weather they need some help.....

i'm from south la [houma] and fished there for 30 years. now live in dallas area and bass fish. south la is not near as hot as it is here in the summer and keeping fish alive in the livewell is no prob if you do it right. use catch and release formula and add ice to the water if it gets too hot. i fish tournaments and have never lost a fish in the livewell.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

2008 ChampioN 198