Thread: Motor Beeeep ??

Motor Beeeep ??

OK, don't laugh, but I am new to bassboats. What's it mean when a constant "beeeeeeeep" comes from what sounds like to under the console or near the throttle? (I realize it cant be a good thing) I know I probably should have shut it down right then and there, but was only about 300 or so yards away from the ramp and it was getting dark, so kept going and loaded up the boat. By the time I got home last night, it was dark, so I haven't checked anything out.

2. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (sprint pro 275)

Usually it is a wrning beep that could signal overheating, such as lack of water pressure etc, or it could be an alarm for the oil pump, signaling low oil etc. I would have done the same thing had I been that close to the ramp.

Lifetime Member of BBC

i would have done the same thing if i was that close to the ramp
    i would call a dealer and ask them what the warning buzzer is for

4. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (Luke)

The boat is an 1988 (I think) Sprint, so unfortunately, no dealers to call.

5. Member

Call someone who deals with the type of motor you have. It won't matter what type of boat it is on.

Lifetime Member of BBC

6. Member

The beep is no laughing matter. If you are running an OMC motor, a constant beep is either an overheat alarm or fuel restriction. Either of these conditions can and will DESTROY your engine if you run it like that.

Post this question in the forum for your motor and the experts will help you diagnose and correct the problem.

7. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (1993392)

On my Merc. it means low oil.

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (sdfd504)

Most older motors it means overheat,, Do you have a water pressure Gage?? You probably picked up some weeds or possibly a plastic bag around your water intakes,, When the alarm goes off, ck water pressure, if none then put motor in reverse and give it some gas.. This will attempt to clear the weeds and get water pressure back.. That is why a water pressure Gage is a must and I always recommend a water temp Gage as well..

It is always better to take a moment to try and clear the debris then to just shut her off, A motor will continue to get hotter even after being shut off.. Louis

9. Member

I had a 96 Mercury 90hp ------ was told by the mariner repairman that a solid beep was heat related ---- and a beep beep beep was oil related.

If it's doing either ----- it's not a good thing ------ have it checked by someone who knows what he is doing.

On mine it is an overheating alarm. Pretty serious...I'd have it looked at.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

11. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (Rudeman)

Mine it is one of a couple things. Low Oil, No Oil, or motor hot. But I also have an indictor on the console and when it starts to beep one of the things lights up and lets me know which oe it is.

12. Member

Last time that happened to me I was on the potomac. My engine would beep and then shut off shut off eventually. I noticed that the engine wasn't spitting out any water. It ended up being some type of aquatic plant growth seed stuck at the far end of the spitter hose elbow on top of the water resorvoir. I removed it and all was well. So I guess the question I have for you is the engine still spitting water out? Hook the clamp water attachement to the engine and run it and see if its still spitting if it isn't you have a blockage somewhere...good luck and Tight Lines to all.

SeaEagle FoldCat 375 for the little lakes.

?An imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan.?
    General George S. Patton
    Keep a Tight Line-------<O(((((><

13. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (curlcom)

I believe on my Mercs., Constant beep indicates heat while intermittment beeping is lack of oil or something relating to it

14. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (Bobs21X)

note, we are talking older motor! odds are needs a new (water pump impeller) if you havn't had one put in lately! they need to be changed every 2 or 3 years, being made of rubber they get hard & brittle then wont suck in water properly. just my .02............kp

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (kp crane)

A motor manufacturer would help the cause a bunch as well as motor size and a model number. OMC's a solid alarm over 5000 RPM means a fuel restriction. If solid at any RPM means over temp but motor will go into SLOW mode and will not go over 2500 R's just enough to get you home.

16. Member

Re: Motor Beeeep ?? (ChampioNman)

I have a constant beep when I get to a certain RPM. Mine was being caused by the battery being low. Not sure this is normal but I did read something about it in the manual. Charged the battery and no problems.