Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Carbon w/ 19.1 and SS3D Images from my Recent Trip

Just spent 5 days fishing on Lake of the Woods near Kenora, ON. My target was walleye, which tend to love being in the rocks, and this large granite lined lake is full of them. There are rock piles everwhere, some are more like boulder piles. The trick to finding them is to find transitions from rock to mud, with lots of structure nearby, and the bigger fish are found on this structure, adjacent to large open water.

Given all the hoopla on the boards about what is good and what isn't, this allowed me to use my stuff all day every day for 5 days straight and make some observations.

Generally:
    I am more than satisfied with my units, and find 19.1 to be really good for finding fish. My favorite is pallette 9 on the StructrueScan, and for all of these images.
    Moving forward 2-3MPH gave clearer/sharper sidescan/downscan images than when holding still on the fish, this seems to make sense to me.
    SS3D and 2D proved to be a great tool for finding fish in these conditions.

Setup:
    HDS Carbon 12 at the Helm, Transducers Connected: TM150 on transom and HDI in hull configured as Generic 83/200 so the DS doesn't interfere with the SS3D
    HDS Carbon 9 at the Bow, Transducer Connected: MinnKota US2 in my Terrova, Configured as Generic 83/200
    SS3D Ethernet Connected to both Carbons
    SS3D Transducer on the Transom next to the TM150
    NEMA 2k interconnecting both units
    Point 1, Through Hull Temp Probe
    Note, I do not have a jackplate, but my TM150 and SS3D are mounted above the pad of my boat, just above the step, on the transom, so they are about a foot under water when I am at rest, or going slowly forward. They come out of the water when I am on plane.

Settings:
    Settings on 2d were mostly default, did adjust the TM150 to fixed 105kHz freq, as sometimes I was in pretty shallow water.
    Had units set up on Shallow Water Mode the whole trip.
    Surface Clarity on DI was Medium, on SI was High, or may have been the other way around, can't remember, and not near my boat right now to check.
    Contrast on SS3D bot DI and SI was adjusted about A-2 to A-4, depending on depth, sun beating on my screens, etc. Just messed with it occasionally as needed.
    Ping Speed was Max
    Had the 2d split zoom view on, with the bottom zoomed in, since targeting bottom fish, and you can see that in the images.

Firmware:
    Carbons are at 19.1-64.1.114
    SS3D is at 19.1-62.1.108

Water Conditions:
    Location is Lake of the Woods, not far from Kenora, ON. Large, glacial lake, granite lined, with sand and mud, many rock piles and rock points.
    Water clarity was really good, had visibility probably 8-9ft down.
    Not much of the classic Lake of the Woods algea present yet.

I took a ton of screenshots, but won't post them all up here now...many are similar looking.

UPDATE: on Jul 17, 2019 I was made aware PhotoBucket had a bandwidth limit for free hosting of 25MB (lame in my opinion), and that has resulted in the inline images below being blurred and watermarked. I uploaded all of the images to iCloud and made the album public, I left all the comments and images below as well, and if I find a better hosting spot, I will fix this post, but at least wanted the forum users to be able to see the images again.
    you can view the full res screenshots here --> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0fG9Gd2NGO3NGG

First, let's look at some from my helm mounted Carbon 12, while looking for a place to fish. Speed probably about 2.5-3 MPH.

This one shows me trolling through an area of softer bottom then up on to a rock hump, with walleye on the down side.

And here is another one in a similar type structure. Note the large 2d Echo on this shot.

And another one, not annotated, but still can easily see fish present.

Now, lets move up to the bow. In these pics, I am on the trolling motor, and trying to be as still as possible to vertical jig these fish up, so some of the DS/SS images are not as good, as I am moving very slowly, and/or spot locked with my Terrova. For those who don't fish walleye, usually want to be as still as possible when vertical jigging...and the bites normally come when you are moving very slowly.

Note also that on the bow unit, I am using the US2 transducer in the Terrova for 2d. Many have questioned whether this transducer is good or not. These images, in my opinion, demonstrate that it is a quality transducer. You can easily see my 1/4 oz jig in many of the images.
    Also, remember, the SS3D transducer is on the transom, so the 2d and DI/SI views are separated by about 18.5 ft of boat. For this reason, i don't use fish reveal on the bow.

This first one has me dive bombing a pile of walleye. I caught a nice 17" fish on this drop.

Here is a shot of me pulling my jig up and down along the bottom, just to show everyone what you can see with a 2d. Just a small 1/4 oz lead jig with a leech on it.

I nice pile of rocks with walleye on them.

More Walleye on Rocks.

Walleye showing well on the side scan to the right as well as right below the boat and a tad to the left.

And, yes, more walleye:

Another couple Dive Bombs on the Fish, just love those. Fish caught in both cases.

So, thats what I have. Was a great trip, with lots of fish caught, quality time spent w/ some dear friends and family members, and I was away from the computer. ALL of those things make it a successful trip. My carbons were a great tool, and I thoroughly enjoyed using them.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 07-17-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added link to full res photos since PhotoBucket has blurred and watermarked my images due to bandwidth limits.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

2. Member
    Great write up and dang good images. Thanks for taking the time/effort to post 19.1 results...

3. Member
    Takes a keen eye to spot fish like that. Good job.

MichaelJ3, what was your ping speed? Did you change it at any time?

Thanks

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    MichaelJ3, what was your ping speed? Did you change it at any time?

Thanks

Never changed it, so at default, which I believe is max...will look next time I’m at the boat.

6. Member
    Great right up and thanks for taking the time to post. I sure wish I could get these types of results lol

7. Banned
    I also have run 19.1 on my SS3D and am not sure I am happy with the results.
    Normally I'm good at keeping old versions but I can't seem to find my 18.3 download

Would someone have a SS3D 18.3 available to download?

8. Member
    Nice images, don't always see walleye around here. When those walleye are hugging the bottom you might look at palette 13. It turns the bottom brown while leaving the fish colored. These are largemouth bass.
    Last edited by csurp; 06-17-2019 at 06:33 PM.

9. Member
    That’s a good tip, I’ll have to try xperimenting with the various 2d pallettes

10. Member
    in the 2d how do you determine hard from soft bottom?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LainTx View Post
    in the 2d how do you determine hard from soft bottom?
    Color (strength of return) indicates bottom hardness/softness.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Nice images, don't always see walleye around here. When those walleye are hugging the bottom you might look at palette 13. It turns the bottom brown while leaving the fish colored. These are largemouth bass.
    That is a great image on the right!!!

13. Member
    So in the screen shots above this thicker red line would indicate hard bottom where the thinner red line would be soft?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LainTx View Post
    So in the screen shots above this thicker red line would indicate hard bottom where the thinner red line would be soft?
    This is a pretty good explanation...better than I can write up (and faster too):
    https://www.bradwiegmann.com/sonar-a...-choices-.html

Yellow indicates hardest (strongest returns), Blue is weakest, red and purple kind of in the middle.
    A thick red line is likely fish...definitely if topped by blue. Could also be soft bottom, but if topped with blue, likely is fish, esp if there is separation from the bottom.

In most of these pics, there were fish present, which is why I saved and showed them.

The fifth image down, where I was bouncing my jig off the bottom in the V shape, is likely the cleanest (no fish) bottom. Note, though, that there may have been a few very small fish hugging the bottom, although not at the instant I snapped the image (right side of the sonar).

The second image in, with the really nice classic fish arch, at the far right (and under the fish), shows hard bottom echo. Note on my helm unit, I had the Amplitude scope turned on, and you see at the instant I snapped the screen, the echo shows a very hard bottom.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 06-19-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added detail and fixed a spelling error

15. Member
    MichaelJ3 Why would you NOT use "Fish Reveal" at the bow?
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    MichaelJ3 Why would you NOT use "Fish Reveal" at the bow?
    Because the 2d on the Trolling motor is not at the same depth as the SS3D transducer on the transom, and they are separated by 18.5 ft of boat in the horizontal direction, so...fish reveal doesn't work real well with that going on. I don't have a second Structure Scanning transducer on my trolling motor.

If I could choose a different 2d source for Fish Reveal than I am displaying, I would, but that is not possible...the 2d source for fish reveal is whatever is in the 2d sonar panel on the unit...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Because the 2d on the Trolling motor is not at the same depth as the SS3D transducer on the transom, and they are separated by 18.5 ft of boat in the horizontal direction, so...fish reveal doesn't work real well with that going on. I don't have a second Structure Scanning transducer on my trolling motor.

If I could choose a different 2d source for Fish Reveal than I am displaying, I would, but that is not possible...the 2d source for fish reveal is whatever is in the 2d sonar panel on the unit...
    Does that hold true if said panel is not displayed?If I remember correctly you spoke of not being able to have a panel 2 2D transducer of your choosing and that panel 1 was the 2D source for fish reveal. And that panel 2 transducer would not become panel 1 transducer in the event panel 1 transducer was deleted./reconfigured. Or something like that. Can you expand on your comments regarding this topic. It would be interesting to find out if on the unit with the 2D transducer occupying Panel 1 what would happen if you shut down channel 1 on that unit? I've "stopped" that transducer and it stopped fish reveal but if you disabled the channel I wonder if you get the same results? Or in my case of SS3D if you shut both channels down. I know my fish reveal uses my TM185HW. If I stop the 185 fish reveal becomes non-functional. Which has been ok with me because that's the way I want it. But I'm assuming I could instead select a different source in that panel and then it would become the fish reveal transducer - right?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Does that hold true if said panel is not displayed?If I remember correctly you spoke of not being able to have a panel 2 2D transducer of your choosing and that panel 1 was the 2D source for fish reveal. And that panel 2 transducer would not become panel 1 transducer in the event panel 1 transducer was deleted./reconfigured. Or something like that. Can you expand on your comments regarding this topic. It would be interesting to find out if on the unit with the 2D transducer occupying Panel 1 what would happen if you shut down channel 1 on that unit? I've "stopped" that transducer and it stopped fish reveal but if you disabled the channel I wonder if you get the same results? Or in my case of SS3D if you shut both channels down. I know my fish reveal uses my TM185HW. If I stop the 185 fish reveal becomes non-functional. Which has been ok with me because that's the way I want it. But I'm assuming I could instead select a different source in that panel and then it would become the fish reveal transducer - right?
    Oh, no, I could choose to display the Fish Reveal at the bow and select the TM150 as the source, and all would be well, but I wouldn't have the option to display the 2d from the MinnKota, or I could make a 4up favorite with two 2d sonar panels, and then use the TM150 in the first panel and be able to use fish reveal, but I find the Carbon 9 too small for a 4 up, and don't really want to be monitoring two 2d's at the bow...

The recent software updates did away with the Panel1 and Panel2 stuff (I have a call in to Tech Support at Lowrance about this, but not holding my breath for a fix). The way it works now, if there is only one Sonar Panel in the view, it is always Panel 1, and is always the source for Fish reveal.

19. Member
    Why is the fish reveil even necessary? my gen 2s with lss2 saw fish for me out on ky lake ledges great, without this feature. I've tested this feature on lss 2 and saw no fish. Tested with 3-1 and carbon unit, and using fish reveil feature, lots of glutter on bottom, indicating fish. But nothing bits. Does it really work?

20. Member
    It isn't necessary. It can be an asset, esp w/ suspended fish, which sometimes appear pretty small on DS. Especially if you were in pretty deep water, I think. Nice to have the option, you can always turn it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast