Victim of the new Lowrance update 18.3

I'd like to downgrade versions on my Carbon 7 but the screen locks up at the black "HDS Carbon" boot up screen since I installed the 18.3 update. It worked immediately after the update, but a few minutes later locked up. I've tried soft and hard resets, and get the tone that it's trying, but still stalls at the splash screen. At that point, no buttons work. I can't even power down.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I’m thinking if you have a old version, put that on the SD and boot system to update on that version???

3. Member
    Tried it about 2 dozen times. At this point I’ve accepted the fact that it’s going back to Lowrance for them to reinstall the software. I’m just out of ideas. It just really sucks that it happened 2 days before my annual fishing trip with my buddies.

4. Member
    I have a Hook2 7 I plan on taking on my fishing trip in 2 weeks and im concerned about doing the update as well. It seems to be working good as is, so its a risk.

5. Member
    My advice...DO NOT update right before a trip.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmchog View Post
    I'd like to downgrade versions on my Carbon 7 but the screen locks up at the black "HDS Carbon" boot up screen since I installed the 18.3 update. It worked immediately after the update, but a few minutes later locked up. I've tried soft and hard resets, and get the tone that it's trying, but still stalls at the splash screen. At that point, no buttons work. I can't even power down.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    18.3 is old news, the current version is 19.1.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuirus View Post
    18.3 is old news, the current version is 19.1.
    Where are you finding 19.1 for a Carbon or Live? The latest I can find on Lowrance website for Carbon or Live is 18.3 for waypoint sharing. Now for the Ti2, they do list a 19.1.

8. Member
    Try reloading the update.
    You will need to go in and slightly edit the file name

Example....HDS_Carbon-18.3-61.1.155-Standard-1_fix.upd

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.
    Goodluck

9. Member
    Interesting. I’ll give it a try when I get back from my fishing trip. Looks like Elite Ti2 comes to the rescue.

I had the same problem with my Carbon 9. worked fine for like 2 hours and then started power cycling on it's own and then a whole lotta NOTHING. It powered on once and then just got stuck on the startup screen. Literally ZERO response from the buttons... The only way to power it down was physically cutting the power to it ie flipping the breaker.
    After about a 2 hours on hold and repeating all the steps I had already taken to troubleshoot the unit, the customer service rep told me they were going to send me a new unit.
    They've had my unit for nine days now, hopefully they ship the new one here soon...
    united in the pursuit of bass.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Try reloading the update.
    You will need to go in and slightly edit the file name

Example....HDS_Carbon-18.3-61.1.155-Standard-1_fix.upd

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.
    Goodluck
    Not saying renaming the file with "_fix" before the ".upd" portion of the file name won't work, as I've never tried it. I have, however, had success reloading the current update by adding ".auto" before ".upd". Something to try if the "_fix" is unsuccessful.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Mpls View Post
    Not saying renaming the file with "_fix" before the ".upd" portion of the file name won't work, as I've never tried it. I have, however, had success reloading the current update by adding ".auto" before ".upd". Something to try if the "_fix" is unsuccessful.
    Yes...do as Dave says!!! I could not remember the rename, when I posted.