Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (18'stratos)

Bill, I can help. This can be a private matter so please contact me through my email address.

chadbattles@hotmail.com

2. Member
    E-mail sent. Thanks again for the help.

3. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (deadringer6)

Is it true that if we were in country in Viet Nam during agent orange we have a claim? If so, what do I need to do?

4. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (stinger13)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by stinger13 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Is it true that if we were in country in Viet Nam during agent orange we have a claim? If so, what do I need to do?</td></tr></table>

Best route is to contact your local DAV rep.

5. Member

I know that I will need assistance. Currently have 21 years of Active duty and still serving but with my latest back surgery the civ hosp is saying that I will have to provide my docs for an MRB before I retire. I don't plan on gettting out for at least 2 more years. My PA was a prior military PA and says that I need to start the process now ..even two years before I start the retirement process. All of my surgeries have all been done at civ hospitals. what do I need to do 1st to get the process started. I am in a little office no where near a mil institution and I only work with 3 other green suiters.

If you would like to contact me offline my e-mail is behmiester1@aol.com

Dave

[B]2009 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI

6. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Hutch20x2)

I went into the local veterans affair office, after a lot of prompting from family and friends, To check into disability for agent orange. I had heard if you were in Nam you were exposed. The guy was very nice and ask if I had any of the symtoms he named off. I did not think I had them so I said no. He said that was the only list of complaints that they would accept. I asked about my headches, not sleeping well, and a very bad disposition. He told me I could apply for PTSD. I never even heard that term until the gulf war and I got of the USMC in 1971. I had to get people who had known me for a long time to write letters telling about how I had changed after the war. He faxed the VA all my stuff and I received a letter saying they had not gotten around to my case yet because of backlog. I also filed on my hearing since I had a test 6 months ago and they said I am about deaf. I worked on helicopters and A-4 jets. When I had my discharge physical, the corpman that examined me ask if I was getting out or reenlisting. I told him I was getting out and he said " good, I wont have to lie about the hearing test ". Now after reading a lot of this forum, I find that sleep apnea could also be service related. My wife says I have it bad at times but not every night. Should I be tested and file a claim on that too ? I also have the restless leg syndrome. It wakes me up at night with my legs jerking so bad. Also does it when I sit and watch TV. Should I file on that too ? I am 63 Yrs old and never liked Drs and never knew that any of these things might be service related. I have had 2 back surgeries, 1 neck surgery and 2 right shoulder surgeries. Guess I am just old and dumb to not have apllied for benefits before now. Thanks in advance.
    Norman Glenn

7. Steve Goncalves
    Is it still taking 8 months to get a claim through? I filed mine in Feb 11 and am still waiting.
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

8. Member

New to site and have a question about an appeal for ptsd. Was granted 10% filed an appeal and called the 800# and was told it was at the ratings board. Does that mean that the appeal hasnt been denied? Usually how long for a decision?

Thanks in advance

9. Steve Goncalves
    Called the Texas Veterans Commision today to ask how long the claims are taking was told aa average of 18 months. Can you believe this. Crazy.
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

10. Member
    Gents,
    Here is what i know form my own personal experenice. Go to the Local VA office, depending on the state you may even have a state office that will do it for you, go to the VFW, DAV or American Legion. Any of these places can help you file your claim. Understand that the VA does not want to rate you...cost money. The best peice of advice i got was form a state VA rep, he told me that when I went in to get evaulated to not act like a Marine and state nothign was wrong with me or borthered me but to be honest about it. If it hurts, pops, doesnt work, etc I needed to state that. The more it bothers you the higher the rating up to a point.
    By far the best reasource out the will be one of the Local Vet organizations: VFW, DAV, American Legion they have dedicated people to help you do your claim and know the VA system and how it works and the tricks to get your claim approved and through the system faster.

Lastly if you have been rated and go back for a higher rating sometimes it is better to refile your claim...not dispute the rating. I would diffently seek out the advice of some of the VET Orgs on this one.

My 2 cents,
    Mitch
    USMC 1994-2010
    Afghan 03, Iraq 05-07

11. Member

Re: (NOVABassman)

Im typing this on my phone so it's gunna be fuzzy.

I have been rated at 60% and have tried twice to file for more. A year ago I tried again after another back surgery and they denied it. Anyway since my knees, back, shoulders, ankles, not to mention lung damage, no spleen and everything else the military took me into pick n pull for is gone what's my next option? I just got on meds for diabetes 6 months ago but I doubt they would say that's service connected. I got out of shape since I walk like a pirate and now have type 2 diabetes. Anyway, do I just keep throwing more paper at them?

12. Member

Re: (Brambo)

If you haven't already contact your local Disabled American Vets org. If you have been down that road and didnt get results,you may be in the market for a lawyer that specailizes in VA claims.

13. Member

Re: (NOVABassman)

I tried the DAV at the hospital in sac. Guy there wasn't a help at all, think he was late for the weekend.

14. Member

Re: (Brambo)

I use a guy at my VFW that specailizes in the VA claim system.

15. Member

appeals claim

filed appeal 2/11 had hearing with DRO 5/11 re-eval 8/11 and got my packet from VA today. went from 10% for PTSD to 70% with date of 5/10 so I am now at 80% combined. THANKS for everything USMC 70-74

16. Banned

Re: appeals claim (ldemar)

Man it's a up hill tuff fight Been in appeals for over a year they did not address about 50% of what was filed Oh well I guess they are wait for all the vets to die Now if you were in RVN Agent Ornange is another topic in its self Us RVN vet are droping like flies an they are waiting for us to give up or die to free up some $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Just don't give up, I damn sure not

17. Member

Re: (CrazyElvis)

Elvis, yes sleep apnea is a 50% disability. My co worker has a dis for it and I am waiting on my claim as we speak.

The only problem is, if he did not claim anything while he was on active duty, he has to prove somehow that he got it while on active. Otherwise they will deny it and he will have to submit an appeal claim which takes anywhere from 6 months to a year. I am going through it now. I submitted my appeal back in May 2011.. I am still waiting......

Re: (Skip)

Sleep apnea I believe is 50%. From what my dr told me.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by western angler View Post
    I currently recieve a 30% disability from the V.A. type II diabieties and hearing loss tied to agent orange and combat. Recently I have been diagnosed with cornery artery diaease, high blood pressure, and have a 70% blocked carotid artery and vision problems in one eye.

My question is this, is this enough for an re-evaluation and if it is how do I go about getting re-evaluated?

Thanks
    I went to the VA initally in 2002 and when I learned of the diabetes link to Agent Orange I went again in 2005 and ask to file a claim. Said they had to do an evaluation, said it would take a year. Finally got examed the following year, then 18 months went by, no word so inquired - they said they had no paperwork. I wished now I had pushed it as by then I've had 7 or 8 heart surgeries. Being Air Force I had to jump through hoops it seemed because they don't list Vietnam on the DD214, just southeast asia. After digging through my records, I found 3 forms buried in there where I showed stationed at DaNang and Tuy Hoa. My civilian cardiologist confirmed I had ischemic heart diease. I finally found a veteran forum that said to see the DAV. While the guy helping was gruff, he did help and I filed for type II and ischemic March 2011. June made surgery #13 (another open heart). May 2011 the VA requested my cardiologist to the MET exam - I scored 1 out of 15 (lowest being the worst case). July 2011 I was given 100% just for ischemic, took another 6-7 months for diabetes and another 20%, then this Jan got another 20% (10% each foot) - which helps with back pay. So basically what I'm saying guys - DON'T GIVE UP. For 3 years I almost put a bullet in my head to get the misery over with. They WILL take the documentation of your civilian doctors (I only went to va for the meds as it was costing me 1400 a month - same as what I made working). My cardiologist had a file on me that was 14in thick from all the procedures I had done. So keep tough, mentally its hard I know. I was very, very fortunate I filed my claim on the VA FastTrack system. I did it all myself with some initial help of the DAV and a LOT of help from my cardiologist.

So western angler, ask your cardiologist if what you have is ischemic and have him document it. I showed mine the flyer the Washington DC VA mailed me and I did the print out of the codes. So I'm hoping I can fish this year (first year in 4 of mostly hospitals) free of being cut on (so far - knock on wood). These guys in here helping you, please take their advice and DON'T wait. I know it can be frustrating. I wished I had known the procedure a little better back in 2005 and then I waited (when I should have filed much earlier).

20. Member
    A friend of mine filed for compensation a month before I did. He has had 4 heart attacks, quadruple bypass, a mild stroke, Type 2 diabetes and had really bad sleep apnea until he had some surgery that seemed to help some. When he filed with all his Drs. reports, etc., the VA rep marked ASAP on the claim. He seemed to think it was a done deal. That was 15 months ago. He has called the VA a few times, always getting the same reply. We are backlogged and will try to get to your claim soon. The last time he called two weeks ago they told him it takes a minimum of two years for his type of claim. In the mean time, I have started to receive compensation for 10% hearing loss and 70% PTSD.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast