Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (deadringer6)

i was told i will probably get a 25% disability for my left knee from jump school from 1979. what amount per month does that work out to and how is it figured. Also do I get retro from 1979 or 2005 when i filed my claim..

2. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Lunkers-R-us)

From the date your claim is filed. You can go to va.gov at look at the rating tables
    to see what it pays.

Modified by deadringer6 at 10:27 PM 4/15/2008

3. Member

VA ratings are only by the 10% , so you would not receive 25%. If you get 20% the rate is 230$, if you get 30% it is 356$ and could be more according to your amount of dependents.

4. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (jfelice13)

Carl, thank you for all you are doing. As well as the others who have offered help. I have always had a difficult time talking about myself and my issues, and I have to say you have made it a little more comfortable for me to ask some questions. I was going to send you an IM, but I figured I would suck it up and post it, just in case someone has been in the same boat as I and was afraid to talk about their issues. It can be tough sometimes, and I'm shaking now as I try to write this, but the thoughtfulness of you and others has given me some courage to do this.

I currently have a 30% disability for shoulder surgery and a gunshot wound while I was in the Army. I have also had PTSD since I left, but always felt ashamed to say anything about it. I still am, I have always tried to be a "tough guy" about it, saying I don't need any help. I have been encouraged by family and friends for a long time to get help. Since the first surgery I had and was discharged, I have had 2 more surgeries on my shoulder and currently need another, although I have put it off. I also have a back problem. I have had 1 surgery (spinal fusion), and currently have some other discs that are starting to "go", and have been told by one Dr. it could be from the gunshot to my leg which causes me to walk a little different that is the cause of my back issues. Because DDD is common and doesn't usually cause the issues I am having until a much older age. (Degenerative Disk Disease, which is what I was told is the only thing wrong with my back)

Anyway, even with all the physical problems I have, the PTSD is the worst of my problems. I put on a good show, but inside I am miserable and always depressed. I have a hard time keeping a job for very long because nothing I do can compare to what I went through while in the Army. I haven't felt that way since 1991. But like I said, I have always been ashamed of this. I even feel bad about the 30% I receive, I just feel ashamed of taking this money.

I have been thinking I should get re-evaluated for my shoulder, since it definately started when I was active duty. But since reading these posts, I have been thinking maybe it's time I do something about the PTSD as well. As you get older you start thinking more about your later years and I realize I may not be in the best position I could be due to never having a job for very long.

So my question is...
    Should I talk to someone at the VA about it (meaning a Dr), or just fill out the disability forms and wait for them to tell me to go talk to go to the VA and see a Dr. ? Also, I am moving out of state in July, should I wait until after I move, or will that matter? I don't want to start this here and then move, and end up with complications because I am no longer in the same state. As a side note, the state where I am moving to is where I filed my original claim. Also, should I get copies of all my medical records from my various doctors and attach to my claim?

Again, I would like to thank you and others for all the support and advice, I don't think I'd be doing this if I hadn't read all these posts.

Also, if anyone out there is feeling the same as me, I can tell you it really hasn't been worth it for me to hold it in all these years. It has affected my career, my personal relationships, and most of all my feelings about myself. Just talk to someone.

Thanks and sorry this is so long.

Jason.

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (jasonalmy)

Jason,

Been there done that. I didn't know what my issue was. I started putting two and two together, and finally went to the VA to get help with my depression. It wasn't 10 minutes before the counselors in there decided that my issues were a little bit different than the guys in there trying to deal with depression. I to, tried to fight through it. Almost lost my wife and son. I lost a couple of businesses and friends in the meantime. I didn't really give a crap.

You should go ahead and set up an appointment to see the VA don't file your claim first. An even better suggestion is to find your local Veterans Outreach Center, Vet Center for short. That is where I receive the most help. I was told to go their a couple of times, before I finally asked someone where the hell it was and what it was. I drove over that day, and have been going since the fall of '04. It has helped me a lot. Didn't cure me, but it makes me feel better, with guys going through the same thing. I suggest you start there, and let your course take you where it may.

6. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (10thFO)

Well, I will give you the best advice that I have to give for your claim process. I would go and see a VA doctor and also get on the PTSD registry. I would then file a claim for PTSD. You can also file for your increase on your shoulder condition. The thing you need to know is that filing an increase, they could also decrease your rating on anything if they feel it is not as bad as it was. Sort of a catch 22. If you need any help with anything relating to your claims, let me know. If you are moving shortly I would wait to file the claim in your new state, I would also attach any medical evidence that you have that is not from the military or a VA doctor, the VA will be able to pull them up.

7. Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

10thFO, I actually did lose a chance to have a relationship with my daughter. To this day it is just an email every once in awhile. I haven't had a child since because I know I cannot deal with it. It has caused some issues with my current wife and I. She has been great to me and I hope I can do everything possible to keep her happy. But having a child may be too much for me.

8. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (jasonalmy)

I need some help, I think.

I was in Nam in 1972 on the USS Kitty Hawk. Not in country but we were in the gulf.

If I am reading it correctly, those in the Navy on-board the carriers during this time have been recognized as possibly exposed to agent orange and are qualified for certain benefits.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last August and had to have it removed in November. As I understand this is one of the diseases that is covered for potential disability.

Assuming all of the above is fact, where do I start to submit a claim? I haven't got any idea how to do any of this. Can someone offer any guidance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

9. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Chopper)

Go to http://WWW.VA.GOV you can apply online. Good luck with your claim.

10. Member

Thanks Deadringer6 for the info.

You got to be a wizard to figure out that wed site....WOW, what a bureaucratic nightmare. No wonder people need help! Nonetheless, I was able to filter my way to a phone number which I called. They are sending me some forms to fill out. Hopefully those will be somewhat straight forward....just maybe.

Again, thanks for the help.

11. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Chopper)

The VA pisses me off more than any other Government organization!!!! About ten years ago I did a parachute jump where about 50% of the pass ended up at the hospital. My PLF was a heels, head (I guess?) Madagan Army medical center! When I submitted my claim they said to submit proof that it was service related? I guess I just rented a C141 so I could do an airborne seizure of the airfield all by myself? I sent them bastards 3 copies of all medical records I had and then they denied my claim because I didn't have enough proof? I guess they one because after about a year I just became too frustrated and gave up on filing? Now I have cronic back problems so I am reconsidering filing again?
    The worst I have heard though is a Army soldier was struck by an IED in Iraq, filed a claim and it was rejected with "non service related schrappnel wounds" on it? WTF is a non-service related schrappnel wound?

Allen

12. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Munkin)

The worst thing is to get fustrated and drop the claim.. A letter from a felow soldier
    can be used a proof of claim or even a family member that knew that you were injured. You need your medical records and also records of follow up treatments. If you give up on the claim you can't win.

13. Member

Chopper, the form you are looking for is a 21-526 to file a claim. As of right now, they have not approved bluewater sailors for exposure to Agent Orange and there is a big court case going on about it. If you have any questions about filing your claim, feel free to ask.

14. Member

Yes - I am retired from the US Navy (Submarine Force) and I currently receive 10% (which is of course deducted from my pension check) for bilateal retinal detachments. I have an eyeball (left) full of plastic bands and clips holding my retina in place and 625 spotwelds (for lack of a better term) in my right eye. All service connected. I also have a 30% hearing loss (left ear) and a hearing aid, also service connected.

I get a whopping $110/month, which is reduced from my pension. I mainly want to get to 30% so I can use the VA dental clinic, the money does not matter so much (up to a point) because it is just offset from m pension (of course it is non-taxable though).

Don

15. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (dhatchere)

Well unless you know something I dont know, or maybe it is a state thing, but the VA does not offer dental unless you are 100% disabled.

16. Member

You could be right, I am just going by what "sea lawyers" tell me. I was told anyone over 30% service connected was eligible for VA dental. Perhaps I can find a way to check on that. I <U>thought</U> I had called VA Dental once and they told me 30% actually. I will let you know if I can find out.

(edit) Scratch all that - http://www.palo-alto.med.va.go...y.asp

Clearly states that <U>only</U> if I am 100% Service connected disabled that am I eligible for VA dental care. No reason to waste my time I suppose, I can just take my $110/month and march my half-blind, half-deaf self off to work like always, LOL.

Modified by dhatchere at 8:09 AM 5/9/2008

17. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (dhatchere)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhatchere &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes - I am retired from the US Navy (Submarine Force) and I currently receive 10% (which is of course deducted from my pension check) for bilateal retinal detachments. I have an eyeball (left) full of plastic bands and clips holding my retina in place and 625 spotwelds (for lack of a better term) in my right eye. All service connected. I also have a 30% hearing loss (left ear) and a hearing aid, also service connected.

I get a whopping $110/month, which is reduced from my pension. I mainly want to get to 30% so I can use the VA dental clinic, the money does not matter so much (up to a point) because it is just offset from m pension (of course it is non-taxable though).

Don</TD></TR></TABLE>

10 percent sounds like to low of a rating for your eye.. I would apply for a higher rating if I were in your shoes. good luck.

18. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (Munkin)

Ive been battling the VA for the past 2 years. If anyone is being rated through Little Rock AR, I feel sorry for you. That place is the worst. I moved to TX and am in the middle of having my file and claims transfered.

Currently I am at 80%

I just got my most recent rating and of course they jacked it up. Had a claim in for depression. They rated it before I could get my in service records and denied it. I got my records for treatment in service and my records for treatment after service and sent them in with a request that they reconsider based on the new evidence. Got a letter for a c&p appt but got it a week after the appt date. Called them to let them know. Talked to them 7 times over the next 6 months requesting they reschedule a c&p. They said they would. My claim for depression was closed out without being rated on the 1 year date of the initial denial. I just found this out. I had sent letters and called explaining what happened. I was assured over the phone that it was in the system about the late letter. Now, Im not sure what to do to get them to reopen the claim. I filed within 1 year of my discharge which gives it presumptive connectibility. Couple that with my inservice treatment and treatment by VA psych after getting out and it should be a no-brainer.

Ive been working my claims myself without any help so far. But, I now think I need to find a local VA rep and get help. I dont know what to do to get them to reopen and rate my closed claim.

I also can not work since I got out. Have had three surgeries, one on my back and have periods where Im in a wheelchair for 6 weeks at a time. Had multiple MRI's which show extensive disc damage at multiple levels. Been to the ER several times for it. But, they just rerated my back which was originally at 10% and only gave me 20%. I applied for TDIU and they denied it saying I didnt send in my TDIU application which I did twice. I ahte the VA.

I think I need to get my stuff transfered to TX, find a local VA rep, and then work on the closed claim, raising my back rating, and getting the TDIU thing figured out. Not sure if Ill lose the two years of backpay on the TDIU since they just denied it.

They make everything so difficult and hard to understand, then they mess up everything they do. I beleive most of this is on purpose to try and make us give up. I will continue to fight them though.

19. Member

Re: Anyone need help with a VA Claim??????? (NathanatFork)

Nathan, I am sorry for your bad experiences with the VA, though I dont feel like they are trying to deny or make the experience bad for you. I am glad to help you out with your claims and reopening your claim. Shoot me an IM and I will get you some help.

20. Member

Re: (vnvjames)

i went from 30% to 100% for copd 31 months ago and still waiting for my retro payment, no dont just sit you got to keep on them, I found out someone in the BVA just forgot to do the paper work also I contacted the white house well this week washington dc contacted them and they pulled my file finally, maybe Im getting my money finally, but good luck.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast