Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzz View Post
    I have a question. While I was active duty I complained about being tired all the time. I had a sleep study which came back that I didn't have sleep apnea. I know I didn't really sleep that night but never went back. I just did another sleep study that I slept real good and my results are that I have severe sleep apnea. Do I just submit a claim with the documentation they will give me? Thanks I retired in 2011.

Yes, put in for the claim. Be sure to bring your medical records from he most current sleep study. You can load them into Ebenefits when you open the claim.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    Question, I finally received my medical records and I filed a claim on my hearing about 6 weeks ago. Any idea how long before one mite hear something? I mite also add I've waited 41 years to do this.

Have you ever submitted a claim before? It takes a few weeks so be paitient....be vey patient. When you go in for your claim be sure to tell them that you get dizzy and look to see I Vertigo is an option to pick as a claim. If there is then claim it. Let the VA make the decision if you have it r not but you must claim everything that you want.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

3. Member
    Thanks joe

4. Member
    Any info or help in finding med. records ? I did 20 years in the Va. Army Nat. Guard deploy several times.
    I started in Oct.1989- Oct. 2002 2 year break in service returned Feb. 2004 - Apr. 2012.

My first 13 years of service Med. records are lost. I've tried request to St. Louis and request to VA. I have found out that Oct. 1 2002 all med. records were sent to VA not St. Louis record center. Since I was Va. Guard I've call Va. HQ and all I get is not us. I know I'm not the only one I work with a guy that also exact same timeline came to Va. Army guard Oct. 2002 all his records of early service lost. The VA rep. I have work with says have heard of same problem and most of time records found in states hands.
    Any other Guard Vets. with same issue ? Thanks

5. Banned
    I want to start the claim process with the VA and need some guidance on doing it the right way and I am not sure where to even begin.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I want to start the claim process with the VA and need some guidance on doing it the right way and I am not sure where to even begin.
    You can do it a few ways. One way is through the DAV as they will assign you a VSO to help you through the process. You will more than likely have to register in Ebenefits if you haven't already. You can do it yourself but you must first do a little homework. Whatever issues you are having/had have to have a paper trail showing it happened during your service time or evidence that it is a service connected problem. The key to that is your medical records and understanding the Title 38, Chapter I, Part 4, Subpart B.
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=cb5c7a3abf09b35dd13bdce2d37df 326&mc=true&n=sp38.1.4.b&r=SUBPART&ty=HTML#se38.1. 4_1111

You take whatever problem you are having and see where it is in the CFR regulation. When you find it you will see a rating system for that problem.

Example: 7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis,etc.).
    -Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and
    constipation, with more or less constant abdominal
    distress ................................................ 30%
    -Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance
    with abdominal distress ........................... 10%
    -Mild; disturbances of bowel function with occasional
    episodes of abdominal distress .............. 0%

When you go for your C&P exam you ALWAYS tell them you have it severe. You explain your worst day or you are just going to screw yourself but the key is get all your problems listed, look for them in the CRF regulation and then file for those through Ebenefits. PM me and I can be a little more specific
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

7. Member
    Have a question I am self employed my local County VA Rep and the online forms ask for wages with only medical for deductions. I have to use my gross income which of course is over the income limit is there any way that I can use my actual NET income?

8. Member
    I was active duty in the army from '83 to '93 and have well documented back problems, 2 broken feet, profound hearing loss and migraines.

Went to the VA back in 2004/2005 to get seen about compensation and all the doc looked at me for were my feet.

They put me through the whole BS routine and in the end, I just gave up on them.

They had sent me something at one point saying that if I didn't appeal before a certain date then I couldn't go back and try and claim it again. I can't see how that is true considering EVERYTHING is service related.

If anyone has any advice on whether or not I can go back after them and how I can do that, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGil View Post
    I was active duty in the army from '83 to '93 and have well documented back problems, 2 broken feet, profound hearing loss and migraines.

Went to the VA back in 2004/2005 to get seen about compensation and all the doc looked at me for were my feet.

They put me through the whole BS routine and in the end, I just gave up on them.

They had sent me something at one point saying that if I didn't appeal before a certain date then I couldn't go back and try and claim it again. I can't see how that is true considering EVERYTHING is service related.

If anyone has any advice on whether or not I can go back after them and how I can do that, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    A good VSO can fight this for you and possibly get you quite a bit of back pay.....Like a lot! I know they can only go back so many years but I good VSO is where you want to go with this. Look into the VFW or DAV to get a VSO. They can point you in the right direction.

The appeal process takes forever and some just say to let it die and re apply. I don't know much on this but I do know you have options. ALWAYS keep fighting for what is yours. Keep us posted if you don't find anything but seeing that you are in VA you shouldn't have any issues locating a VSO. Good luck
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

10. Member
    You can get disability for Type 11Diabetes I got a 30% rating and have file for another 30%. Go to the VA website it explains a lot there.
    Best have his doctor know that he is asking for Diabetes, neuropathy Upper and Lower extremities and Back. They will want a form filled out from his Doc.

11. Member
    Back pay is usually only figured from the day your claim is summited.

12. Member
    Check and see if there is a Dale K. Graham Veterans Foundation
    Accredited VA Claims Agent in your area. They are great to work with.

I have a buddy, now in his late 60's, former army (aircav -I think) chopper gunner in vietnam, former chicago police officer ... saw him yesterday at his son's memorial service. The son just died last week. Anyway to the point, Lee was constantly exposed - even sprayed with agent orange and now has extreme difficulty breathing. Shouldn't he qualify for both some medical help and maybe disability?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    I have a buddy, now in his late 60's, former army (aircav -I think) chopper gunner in vietnam, former chicago police officer ... saw him yesterday at his son's memorial service. The son just died last week. Anyway to the point, Lee was constantly exposed - even sprayed with agent orange and now has extreme difficulty breathing. Shouldn't he qualify for both some medical help and maybe disability?
    Yes he does. Agent Orange is one of the things that should go pretty quick with the process through VA. He needs to have all his medical documents from his doctor, xrays, exams, etc. This will help the process go much quicker and get the help he deserves. Have him get with a local VFW, Legion or contact the DAV to get a Service rep. He can also file his claim through eBenefits as well. Here is a link for some info.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensa...ent_orange.asp
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

15. Banned
    where can you obtain a copy of your medical record.

16. Member
    The VA will only pay up to 20% diabetes claim. I know because I have been fighting them for months on this. They will pay for Neuropathy, ED, and frequent Urination though. You need to list everything you can. I finally got it up to 30% total still trying to get 20% more. Just make sure you have all the forms that your Doctor is suppose to fill out.

17. Member
    Legend Master make sure and get a hearing test done before you get out. If Vietnam vet get on the Agent Orange list.

18. Member
    Always file as married Form 21-686c. The VA will not do it for you automatically.

19. Member
    FYI Heads up. If anyone plans to fill out any survey or join the "Million Vet" or RAMP program. Be very careful not to paint yourself into a corner. If you do be very detailed and specific in your wording and information and complaint. Have all your paperwork DO NOT leave anything out.
    It has brought to my attention lack of information on your part might be used against you. Also how many more new programs does the VA need to spend resources on and not much in return to Vets??? I personally have been advised to stick with the basics.

20. Member
    Is this thread still active? I have questions regarding the VA compensation process. I was injured during my last deployment. Its a daily struggle. I have an LOD from the injury, and have since had surgery. It only solved part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast