Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fellowship among foes

I subscribe to this daily devotional and thought everyone would like to read it. It is nice to remember that even though we might not agree with each other on a lot of things we can always come together in Christ!!!!!!

Enjoy

Fellowship among foes
    by John Fischer

God expects unity, not uniformity. We often confuse the two. We think in order to have fellowship we all have to be fellows in the same ship. Fellowship does not mean we think alike on everything.

We can go to different churches and worship the same Lord. We can play on different teams and have the same faith. We can work for competing companies and serve the same God and Father. We can fight for warring nations and yet battle a common enemy. We can love the same Lord and vote for opposing political platforms. We can disagree on methodology and agree on Christ.

“We are all one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious future. There is only one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and there is only one God and Father, who is over us all and in us all and living through us all.” (Ephesians 4:4-6 NLT)

Or to put it another way: There are many ways to worship him but only one Lord. There are many different denominations but only one faith. There are many ways to be baptized but only one baptism. There are many different nations but only one destination.

As Christians, we do not have to agree on everything. In fact, it’s better that we don’t. If we agreed on everything then our unity might rest on what we agree on and not a relationship with a God and Father who is above agendas and platforms. To have different political, social, and economic viewpoints and yet agree on the same Lord puts the focus back in the right place – on God and not on us. Our diversity forces our unity to be the thing that rises to the surface.

We should remember that wars have been fought over things like politics, economics, and social reform. Think about the tragedy of our own American Civil War, where brothers in the same human family and in the family of Christ died in different uniforms on the same battlefield. Whose side was God on? History confirms that God was represented on both sides of this conflict, as he is in almost every major human conflict we encounter.

Following Christ is not about joining a look-alike contest; it is finding out the joy of discovering our oneness in Christ in spite of our many differences. This is the challenge of the day.

God bless,
    Stephen

3. Moderator

Re: Fellowship among foes (TexSkeeter150)

And ALL God's people should say... AMEN!!

4. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar

Couldn't said it better myself.

Thank you for sharing this.

5. Member

Amen.

I am a Christian first and a baptist second.

6. Member

Amen.

7. Member

Amen, and thank you for sharing. I plan to do just with some friends this morning.

8. steve64116

Re: Fellowship among foes (Papa Tom)

amen steve

9. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (steve64116)

we are all one in the end .......

10. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (TexCaboCat)

Uh, hmmm I'm having trouble with this concept.

<Or to put it another way: There are many ways to worship him but only one Lord.>

Jesus told the woman at the well that "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." God's word is truth and we must worship according to that truth. Paul taught that there is a way that we ought to behave in the house of God (the church) He didn't say "ways".

Another troubling point,
    <There are many different denominations but only one faith.>

Look at this honestly, in 1 Cor 1:10-13
    10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be <U>no</U> <U>divisions</U> among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are <U>contentions</U> among you.

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

13 <U>Is Christ divided?</U> was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

then,

1 Cor 3 Paul was critical of the divisions: "1 Cor 3:3-4
    3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and <U>divisions,</U> are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?"
    How can we be true today in saying that it is ok to have division in the church? I agree that we sometimes find ourselves disagreeing about financial matters or some other concepts. But, we ought to have more similarity than we have differences. The concept of unity in diversity in spiritual matters just doesn't ring true and is an uncertain sound.

BC

Modified by Bass Counselor at 9:54 PM 3/15/2007

Modified by Bass Counselor at 2:52 PM 3/16/2007

Modified by Bass Counselor at 2:53 PM 3/16/2007

11. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (Bass Counselor)

Why was there the twelve tribes then?

?For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men?the testimony given in its proper time.?- 1 Timothy 2:5-6

12. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (fischerkyle)

The twelve tribes were under the descendants of Abraham through his son Jacob. One tribe for each son. As long as the tribes believed the same thing there was no problem, after all they were only blessed because of one man that being their father Abraham which the Jews even recognized in Jesus' day. As long as there was unity in the tribes and obedience to God then there was agreement and God's blessings. When men like Jereboam took it on himself to change the pattern of worship and set up false altars in Dan and Bethel, then this was division and disobedience and not approved by God. God had given them a pattern and expected them to be obedience. When the tribe of Reuben, Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh built an altar in Gilead by Jordan, this brought great concern by the other tribes and they warned them about what Achan had done and that they were to only worship where God had instructed them. (Joshua 22)

Today, we can have differing congregations and its okay to worship as such. The problem is when we are no longer faithful to the "pattern".

BC

13. Member

AMEN Brother. We should be united w/ one goal, reaching lost souls for CHRIST!!

14. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (ASTROCRAZY)

Many different people in the world who worship Go differently,
    but Only one way to him, and that is through Christ who died on the cross

15. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (slsail)

Can God be worshipped in many ways? There are countless opinions on how God is to be worshipped. Because of those countless opinions and the resulting traditions, there are numerous religions and innumerable divisions in Christianity. Can we worship God in a way that is unacceptable and that is sinful? Consider Cain and Abel’s worship. God accepted Abel’s offering but rejected Cain’s. The reason? Cain had worshipped in a way that was not according to the God’s will. He had his opinion about what was best to offer God in worship but he was wrong. Another instance is found in Lev 10:1-2 when Aaron’s son did not follow the word of God but rather worshipped wrongly and died because that they did.
    :
    Lev 10:1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
    2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

The problem that exists today is that men worship God differently. Are these ways right and accepted by God? Can we worship God how we want to? The answer is absolutely not. There is but one God who is to be worshipped according to his will and not according to man’s will. In John 4:19-24 we are given key facts about how we should worship. Jesus is talking to the Samaritan woman and he tells her doesn’t worship properly. He also tells her that the true worshipper of God must worship God in “spirit and in truth.” To worship God we must do so spiritually communing with God, it is not merely a mechanical ritual that we do. Secondly, we must worship him in truth. What is truth? God’s word is truth! Therefore we worship him according to his word. To worship him by how we think we ought to worship without being guided solely by His word is to “will worship”. Many who worship today are doing as Nadab and Abihu and offering “strange” ways of worship. Those today who are following traditions of men, or their opinion on how God may be worshipped are not worshipping acceptably. I know this is a hard thing for some to think about. What if those who professed to be spiritual turned to the pages of the Bible and let our worship be directed by those things that are written by the messengers of God? Would we have the many divisions (denominations) and religions? The answer is no. Paul warned, “8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. - Col 2:8-9 NKJV

Let our worship be in spirit and in truth according to his word and let us lay aside man’s inventions and traditions.

BC

Instead of trying to rip down everything that is being said or offered in this forum, why don't we just try to see what is being said. I posted this devotional because of some things that were being talked about back then before you were here. All this is trying to say is that in a world of multiple denominations and cultures that some ideas and ways will be different, but our common denominator is Christ and that is how we are all graphed into the family. I believe that should override our differences. Now, this is a man who wrote this and I assure you he is talking about true believers of Christ and not some pagans that have and don't believe in the word of God. The author is assuming, as the reader should, these are true Christians that are represented in his devotional. So if you want to break it down to destroy words (out of context) that is your right, but understand I was not trying to post another gospel, as you have insinuated.
    God bless,
    Stephen

17. Member

&lt;&lt;&lt;Instead of trying to rip down everything that is being said or offered in this forum, why don't we just try to see what is being said. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Stephen,

It was not my goal to “rip” everything that was said. It is my goal to contend for the truth and to refute error. A Christian has the obligation to do such. When error is being taught there are souls in danger. Jude wrote we are to earnestly contend for the faith, Paul warned of the grievous wolves that would not spare the flock, Peter warned of the false teachers. The Holy Spirit caused these men to write such so as we may know false teaching when we see it. I don't beleive that you intended to teach falsehood. It is most likely that you have only heard this from others and liekly never have given thought to whether it is truth or falsehood. I am sure you are sincere in heart and were seeking to promote what you believe is good. However, what this man said is NOT true and such error has led many to believe that they are saved but instead they have been led away in falsehood. It is my hope that some will read my posts and seek a deeper understanding of the word of God.
    Here is where the error is being proclaimed: &lt;&lt;&lt; Or to put it another way: There are many ways to worship him but only one Lord. There are many different denominations but only one faith. There are many ways to be baptized but only one baptism. There are many different nations but only one destination.&gt;&gt;&gt;
    As I showed in my posts there are NOT many ways to worship God. Denominationalism contributes to disunity and is sharply condemned in the Holy Scriptures. Secondly, there are NOT many ways to be “baptized”. Those who believe such should engage in a study of what baptism is. Baptism is not sprinkling or pouring.
    I am not trying to offend others; if they should be offended by my words then there is a greater they should fear. God and the Lord Christ Jesus expect us to obey Him and to keep his commandments if we love Him. I hope that you will take note that my concern is that there should be unity in the faith and that we must worship in truth. I hope you will appreciate that others and I are willing to say no to false teaching. If only all would put aside the traditions of men and walk in the light of the word of God we could be faithful servants to the Lord.
    Preach The Word.
    BC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bass Counselor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I showed in my posts there are NOT many ways to worship God. Denominationalism contributes to disunity and is sharply condemned in the Holy Scriptures. Secondly, there are NOT many ways to be “baptized”. Those who believe such should engage in a study of what baptism is. Baptism is not sprinkling or pouring.
    </TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you please let me and others know how I should worship God. I want to make sure I am doing it the right way. I know what the Bible says and appreciate your use of the scripture, but I would like to hear/read in your own words how I should worship. That way I can understand you interpretation of scripture

Personally I am lead by the Spirit and I would bet that your are, too. According to scripture I do worship in Spirit and Truth. Not what men say or me trying to impress man or the world as the Pharisees (sp?) did in that day. This is what I believe the scripture you quoted above means. I may choose to worship Him in dance, prayers and as I fish. Others may worship Him in different ways, but still in Truth and Spirit. I never change or make up his character to fit my needs. I worship and praise God for who He is and what He has done to save me, a sinner. Scripture can be turned a lot of ways and believe me I can spit out many verses that might disagree with you on Baptism and several other doctrines that we each believe, but what will that lead too. My point is this. My salvation along with everyone else in this world rest on Christ and Christ alone. Not on anything I can do or have done, just what I truly believe that Christ died for me and He is my king. I know you believe that yourself, too and because of that we are brothers in Christ. We are not brothers in Christ because of a way we do things, doctrines, traditions or differences of interpretations, but because of our belief in what Christ has done. This is all I was trying to point out with the devotion. We can pick apart anything man writes and "rip" it to shreds. But if you would look at what the author is trying to say that our (if true) faith in Christ is what really matters because that sends us all to the same destination for eternity.
    God bless,
    Stephen

19. Moderator

You know, there is an old joke that goes something like this.

Fellow dies and goes to heaven. As the Lord is showing him around, he shows him a big room, and says "This is where the Catholics hang out." A little further on there is another room. "This one is for the Lutherans." Then the Pentecostals, the Episcopals, and so. Each of the great Christian denominations had a room. Finally they come to one room, at the far end. The fellow goes to look in the little window but the Lord stops them. "No, don't disturb them. They think they're the only ones here."

It's one thing to believe that you have all the answers. It's another thing to tell people they don't know what they're talking about. I'm not a Bible scholor, so I'm not going to try to match verse for verse with you. You win that debate. However I know people from a lot of different denominations, and I'm not smart enough, holy enough, or godly enough to tell them that I'm right and you're wrong, and if you don't change to my way you're going to hell in a handbag. That's God's job IMHO. I'll leave it to him. My job is to introduce people to Jesus Christ. I try to do that in the best way I know how.

Now you're going to tell me that I don't have an open mind, I don't want to know the truth. I'll tell you the same thing, because I believe what I believe just as devoutly as you believe what you believe.

This forum is not about "I'm right and you're wrong." When we started it we agreed there would NOT be any of this kind of squabbling. I'd like to see it continue that way. I can tell you from experience that drives more people away from Christ than it ever draws to him.

20. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TexCaboCat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would you please let me and others know how I should worship God. I want to make sure I am doing it the right way. I know what the Bible says and appreciate your use of the scripture, but I would like to hear/read in your own words how I should worship. That way I can understand you interpretation of scripture
    </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stephen,

Its pleasing to find someone who is willing to discuss spiritual matters. When two can reason together and not "squabble" then both should be be edified. I have never seen anything that two reasonable people couldn't discuss. I don't like to argue and would hope this will be a time of reasoning together. If you notice, I place considerable emphasis on scripture. I do this because it is the only instruction of righteousness that we have that has the authority from God. Whatever my opnion or beleif may be, unless that it is grounded in scripture it cannot be right. If the matter is not addressed in scripture then we can each have our opinion. For those matters where there are scripture it is necessary that the Christians be unified in those matters to ahve fellowship. There are many scriptures that instruct us to be faithful to the word of God. 1 Tim 3:15-16 reveals that the scripture is all we need to perfected and these scriptures are for instruction in rightoeusness, correction and for teaching. 2 Tim 3:14 the scriptures can make us wise unto salvation, 2 Tim 2:2 we are instructed to be faithful to the word of God and teach others to do the same. So my point here is that to be acceptable to God we must keep his word. If we are led by the Spirit then surely we'll be led by the Spirit's words.

The Spirit's words are the word of God and that is where we find doctrine. If that teaching is not consistent with the word of the spirit then it is false doctrine. Now here is a illustration of how people are to worship. In the matter of immsersion for the remission of sins. Many believe that if they are "baptized" as an infant then they are saved. The "baptism" they experienced as an infant was sprinkling and they were not penitent sinners.
    Six points on this:
    1) They have not been immersed and are not in truth saved.
    2) Their "baptism" was not because they were penitent believers
    3) They are still lost
    4) They don't know they are lost.
    5) They need the gospel of Jesus preached to them
    6) They need to beleive, repent and obey in immersion.

This is a situation where men are worshipping God and are NOT worshipping in truth. They may be worshipping from the heart and be worshipping in spirit, but they are still just as lost and share no part in the fellowship of the gospel. Christ Jesus came to seek and to save those who were lost. Christians need to be preaching the gospel to the lost.

In your posts there some other points you made that I address later. Let us first reason together on the topic of the necessity of immersion and the need for those who were sprinkled as infants to come to the knowledge of the truth and to come to the Lord. I hope you will reason together with me and any others who wish to join the discussion.

If you prefer, we can take this to email.
    anvil_sparks@yahoo.com

Be instant in season and out of season,
    BC

21. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (CajunBass)

Cajun Bass,

The way I heard it was:
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matt 7:22-23

Also that there were sheep, goats, wheat and tares. The sheep were happy and the wheat was harvested. The goats were separated and the tares burned.

While that is a cute joke, that is all it is "a joke." Its a diversion for those who aren't willing to reason the matter fully. Not that that is the reason you posted, actually it was well placed. Hopefully the discussion here will be beneficial for us all. At least that is my intent. I don't reckon I could be classified as a scholar, but I am well versed in scriptures and have this fire in my bones to preach the word. We all should be able and willing to give and answer of the hope that lies within us. I pray this discussion will be effort to reason and not a squabble.

Thanks for monitoring!
    BC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast