Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    well said

2. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (revtro)

"So in the end, does it matter if one church thinks it's proper to dress nice on Sundays and another doesn't? I doubt it. Does it matter if one church uses an organ and another uses a band? Probably not. Does it matter if one church believes in speaking in tongues and another doesn't? It's a very important issue to many, but in the end a doctrine of that nature isn't paramount to faith in Jesus as the One who saves. Now if a church doesn't believe Jesus atoned for our sin, that's a whole different ball game. That isn't what the author was dealing with, I'm pretty sure."

If all Christians just took the advice offered by Revtro, many more people would be led to Christ as we would be a more appealing group. Christ dying for our sins is the focus...

Amen!

3. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (Born Again)

It's all about ...FAITH. Most Christians don't seem to get it. WE ARE THE CHURCH! It's not a building or a doctrine, it's is faith and a beleif.

"If you beleive in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ was concieved by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, became a man, was crucified and died and was buried for (the attonement) of our sins, rose again on the 3rd day, assended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father,,,Thou shall be saved. The rest is your personal preference, dogma and doctrine.

Jesus actually hated the doctrine of the Nicolations which is basically a heiarchy oriented type church. Read Revelation chaprter 3. Anyway, I'm sure I am preaching to the chior. We need to get out and preach to the lost.

Re: Fellowship among foes (Winner)

You know, I was raised pentecostal growing up (mainly Church of God). However, the doctrine would probably remind you more of an Assembly of God by accessment (very laxed). I can only remember one time in the history of this world that believers were in total unity; being in agreement with one another and sharing all they had with one another. This is found in Acts 4:32-35 (NIV) "All the believers were in one heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everthing they had. With great power the apostles contined to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them.....etc." I believe this will happen again before the Day of Lord, that unity will be among believers again.
    See, I really don't believe in denominations or religion for that matter. Denominations are really based on man's interpretations and opinions of God's Truth (Word). And knowing the history of man, we gratify in favor of our sinful natures in a lot of ways. I think denominations have destroyed the foundation of Christianity, distorting it into man's concepts rather than God's Truth. Religion, being product of man's obessiveness with practices and rituals, isn't something the Jesus taught at all. Jesus taught of Faith, which is not a religion but a gift given from that the heavenly Father. One reason Jesus was crusified was because of religion. When Jesus came teaching by Faith He was going against the "religion" of that time and making the chief priest and Pharisees want him dead.
    I honestly believes if Jesus was here, right now, and came up and sat down beside us, we be shocked beyond belief of who He really is. I think that would seperate the sheeps from the goats very quickly. When He compared himself to John the Baptist saying "For John came neither eating nor drinking, they say, 'He has a demon.' But the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' " Matt. 11:18-19.
    You know, 99% of the time, while He was here on earth, Jesus hung around sinners, the lowest of the lows. That's why He was here. Those were who he was after. He wasn't going out on Sunday lunches at the nearest Shoney's or Denny's or Cracker Barrel with his church buddies and after eating walking out seeing a homeless man cross his path asking for a handout and just turn his nose up at this man. No, Jesus came not to save the righteous, He came to save the sinner.
    Honestly, I think Jesus was probably one cool dude. And for all my faults, cause I have fell way beyond short of the Throne of Grace, a sinner that should never see the Gates of Heaven and I mean that.....I just hope that I can talk to Him and walk with Him once after my life ends. That would be good enough for me.

5. Member

Re: Fellowship among foes (Bass Counselor)

I have really enjoyed reading the posts that were made concerning God's word. Bass Counseler, I think that you have many good points and If I didn't know any better, I would say that you are a CofC.
    It's truly difficult to stay afloat and to keep your head on straight in todays religous world because of the many different things that are taught. Not only do you have many denominations which are divisions, but you have divisions in each denomination. What's a guy/gal to do who wants to worship "in truth" with so many people worshipping different ways? Well, there is only one thing you can do....do it by the book. And that is why I am a stickler for the scriptures. It really doesn't matter what I believe, or what you believe, what matters is what God says. If God says it, then that should settle it...It shouldn't be any arguing. And that is why I appreciate your love, BC, for God's word and your desire to continue to study God's word and to proclaim it.
    May we all continue to read and to study God's word daily, (psalm 1) and may we continue to uncover the truths and the treasures that God's word holds for us. It never ceases to amaze me...the more I read and study, even a subject that was previously well studied, God's word continues to show me new things.

6. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar

Re: Fellowship among foes (Bass Counselor)

I agree that we should be united in our purposes, i.e. to win the lost to Christ and to stand against anything that opposes the truth of God's word. God can and will speak to you in that "still small voice" as he did to Elijah. But the bulk of God's guidance is in the Good Book that He gave to us so that we could know His will. Everyone seems to want a word from God, but these same folks don't want to do what God has already instructed in the Bible. That's how you learn God's voice,by reading His word and then recognizing the occasional revelation or truth that comes alive in your own heart as He breaks the bread and feeds you exactly what you need for that day. These differences in the way we worship should be a moot point if we believe that Christ died to pay a debt that we could never satisfy by own own actions. If we have accepted that Christ died for our sins and then we live a life that reflects that faith and belief that He will one day return and take us to be with Him for eternity, then we are truly all brothers in Christ. Then,whether we raise our hands in church or jump the pews or shout or cry, if it is done out of a heart of genuine praise and thankfulness to a God who died to be with us, it is true worship. If we are wrong in any of those actions, it is then up to Him to correct us. And He can do a MUCH better job at that task than any amount of any man's effort. We can do much more if we put aside petty differences and be united in our efforts to re-create Christ in others. Paul said it this way, 'For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified' 1 Corinthians 2:2.
    This should really sum up our objective in this life. We are not in competition with one another, but rather have a solemn and pressing task set before us. I appreciate any comments. Whether you agree or disagree, my prayer is that God be with you and guide & keep you throughout this life.

Modified by hoohoorjoo at 6:49 AM 2/18/2011
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

In the end it all comes down too, did I Know God, or just know of Him. We all probably have had friends we passed in the hallway at school that we knew, but we really did not know them. It breaks my heart when I go in to Juvenile Hall to either mentor, teach bible study, or do a service and the kids are freaking out telling me they are going to hell. They say that a church came in on Sunday and told them if they were not baptized that they were going to hell. You are talking about young men that might not see the light of day for who knows how long as so many are in for murder now days. The chance of these young men being baptized in our Juvenile Hall as of right now is 0%. We as Christians are to bring hope to these young men and that is not hope. There are young men who are truly giving their hearts too God only to have all hope taken away from them with this doctrine. I have been doing a Sunday service in units only to be interrupted by someone asking me if he was going to hell because he was not baptized, but truly loved the Lord with all of his heart. Gentlemen we need to keep it simple and bring the gospel to the hurting, not division amongst the ranks. The main worship we need to be concerned about is the way we worship God with our body, giving it too Him as a living sacrifice so we may be the light in this very dark world. We must stop the infighting and stand up together with one goal in mind, the gospel, keep it simple. If we were to spend as much time sharing the gospel as we do arguing over doctrine the world would have a whole lot more Christians. Talk about a turn of too non Christians when believers fight over who's doctrine is right in front of a non believer.
    I am no preacher as you can tell and no two people think alike but we need to keep the focus on Christ as this world is falling apart right in front of our faces. May God all of you, I am just a simpleton who loves to share my faith with the lost and the hurting who has a sick JDM addiction so please pray for me.

Just remember it\'s not about the fish but they sure are fun to catch.
    Last edited by basscattrent; 07-19-2012 at 02:39 AM.

8. Member
    Amen!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexCaboCat View Post
    I subscribe to this daily devotional and thought everyone would like to read it. It is nice to remember that even though we might not agree with each other on a lot of things we can always come together in Christ!!!!!!

Enjoy

Fellowship among foes
    by John Fischer

God expects unity, not uniformity. We often confuse the two. We think in order to have fellowship we all have to be fellows in the same ship. Fellowship does not mean we think alike on everything.

We can go to different churches and worship the same Lord. We can play on different teams and have the same faith. We can work for competing companies and serve the same God and Father. We can fight for warring nations and yet battle a common enemy. We can love the same Lord and vote for opposing political platforms. We can disagree on methodology and agree on Christ.

√‚¬“We are all one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious future. There is only one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and there is only one God and Father, who is over us all and in us all and living through us all.√‚¬” (Ephesians 4:4-6 NLT)

Or to put it another way: There are many ways to worship him but only one Lord. There are many different denominations but only one faith. There are many ways to be baptized but only one baptism. There are many different nations but only one destination.

As Christians, we do not have to agree on everything. In fact, it√‚¬’s better that we don√‚¬’t. If we agreed on everything then our unity might rest on what we agree on and not a relationship with a God and Father who is above agendas and platforms. To have different political, social, and economic viewpoints and yet agree on the same Lord puts the focus back in the right place √‚¬– on God and not on us. Our diversity forces our unity to be the thing that rises to the surface.

We should remember that wars have been fought over things like politics, economics, and social reform. Think about the tragedy of our own American Civil War, where brothers in the same human family and in the family of Christ died in different uniforms on the same battlefield. Whose side was God on? History confirms that God was represented on both sides of this conflict, as he is in almost every major human conflict we encounter.

Following Christ is not about joining a look-alike contest; it is finding out the joy of discovering our oneness in Christ in spite of our many differences. This is the challenge of the day.
    I think this quote ^^^^^^^ is worthy of going back on top
    God Bless
    '06 20I 250 HPDI

10. Member
    Amen
    Bassman1987

11. Member
    Romans 16:17 I urge you brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teachings you have learned. Keep away from them.

Amos 3:3 Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?

1 Cor 1:10 ff---already mentioned

Fellowship defined, Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. (Altar, Pulpit, Prayer)

12. Member
    Amen to Romans 16:17. We are His children.

13. Member
    Amen and amen. God Bless All.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123