Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A few thoughts on sharing your faith

I got to thinking about this when reading somone else's post, so i'll just share my thoughts.

I've been in Christian ministry for a while, i've worked full time staff for an International high school outreach organization, ran several youth ministries, gotten a degree in Biblical and Theological Studies/ Youth Ministries and most importantly, been a pastor's kid all my life. It always strikes me to see very many people so intimidated by sharing their faith. And it can be VERY intimidating sometimes, but here's a couple things that i've learned:

When you share your faith, people always think, "oh i don't know enough" or "what if they ask a question about the bible that i can't answer" and other fears of that nature. Here is the simplest thing and yet probably the most effective thing you can do: Share your story. Share what God has done in your life. And it doesn't have to be a "I went from Drugs to Jesus" testimony. Lord knows mine hasn't been, but God has, and will continue to work in my life. He has provided for me in ways i've never thought possible, he's lead me to and through some pretty incredible things already in my life.

Lots of people immediately have their guard up if you walk up to them and tell them they are a sinner and need to turn to Christ. While that fact may be true, you could start by sharing, what's happened in your life. And the best thing is that it's your story, you know it, every detail. You don't have to worry about not knowing enough, or where to find it in the bible. Once you've shared your story if someone has more questions that you don't know, you could bring them to a pastor or elder etc. They would be able to be there with you, which would be far less intimidating then them just walking up to a pastor and asking him questions.

3. Moderator

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (StetsonBasser)

I'm pinning this one too Aaron.

You are so right......Every one of us that don't happen to be ministers can tell our story, how God made a difference personally. We don't have to preach,even quote specif verses, just plant the seed and let God do the rest.

(606)305-1956

I went to a "Way of the Master" conferance recently. The speakers were Ray Comfort & Kirk Camron. They've witnessed to thousands of people and they say they still struggle with fear. Its a domonic fear, I know from my own experiance. Saten will through everything he's got at you when he knows your trying to reach the lost. Check out the web site above my avatar, lots of free audio downloads, that Im sure you'll find inspirational.

6. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (shawn706)

Thanks Shawn for the reference to the website. I just watched a very inspiring video on the site and read a lot of great material.

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (Justfishn')

Check out the file called "I Got Off at George Street". If anyone can listen to it without being moved by it theres a good chance there lost.

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (shawn706)

shawn706,
    I have ordered two DVDs from the website called "Hells Best Kept Secret" and "What Did Jesus Do", they are awesome. If you want to save souls these are for you.
    Mike.

Jesus gave them this answer...\"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.\" John 5:24

9. Member

I'm 68 and I've only been a Christian for 4 years. The only way I can testify to a non-believer is by telling them my story and then STOPPING. If I continue into scripture their eyes glaze over and they obviously want to get away from me. I figure the best thing to do is to tell them my story (plant a small seed) and perhaps they'll carry it with them thereafter. I believe it works.

10. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (Photodan)

EXCELLENT!!! Dan...great post

11. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (T-rex)

I base my story on Scripture though. The Word of God is powerful and will plant seeds. The person has the freewill to reject it, but if they feel no conviction, why would they want to convert?

I think that while some Christians are flawed in their "Turn or burn" argument, others water down the message too much.

Christ is our example. When He preached to people, He preached the Truth and was honest. Many people were offended at Him. However, because His teachings were convicting, people realized the error of their ways and turned as well.

I guess what I'm saying is we need to find a balance?

Great post!!

I have been thinking since the first of the year how we unconsciously share our faith every day by the way we live our lives. A part of my morning prayer each day is for strength and fortitude to live this day so as to be a blessing to those I encounter. I hope all of you will help me by kindly pointing out any deviation from this goal to me.

sooner fish
    1977 Ranger 175-A ~ Mercury 1500

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar for 1894

13. Member

Everybody is scared when they first start but gets easier everyday. The best book I have ever read about witnessing to the public is "One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven" by Mark Cahill.

14. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (stratosboat1)

Has anyone ever tried EE ( Evangelism Explosion ) ?
    Me and my wife went thru the course and she even went to the leadership class.

It is a great way to lead someone to Christ without turning them "off".

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (BigmouthSmallmouth)

[QUOTE=BigmouthSmallmouth]Has anyone ever tried EE ( Evangelism Explosion ) ?QUOTE]

Never heard of it, do you have a link.

Jesus gave them this answer...\"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.\" John 5:24

16. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (T-rex)

Photo Dan,

God Bless you.

Faith comes by "hearing" and hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). You do well by sharing your testimony, but give them a little of the Fathers word by quoting a little scripture and this is the real seed (Isaiah 55:11).

Its all about Him, through Him, and for Him. He'll harvest those He will.

Come soon Lord Jesus!

17. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (Phil B)

I strongly believe it has a lot to do with balance and moderation....If God is already working on someone and we get in the way we could be doing just as much damage if not more if we get involved thinking that in "our power" we can change someone.

I think we must quiet ourselves listen to God and if he tells us to move we must move. I think trying to "sell" God with a "sales pitch" is degrading to God and to the person your selling him to. I think each situation dictates itself. I am the last person to tell someone how to share the word with someone, once again, I feel like we should use balance and moderation and move on Gods Will not our power

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (Mike_A)

This might be a link: http://www.ee-gb.org.uk/

19. Member

Great thread here on evangelism. I struggle with this daily. I need to be better in sharing my faith.

Interesting that many of you mentioned "planting a seed" with folks and some were concerned about giving too much scripture for fear of pushing people off.

Consider this:

"The Seed <U>is</U> the Word of God" Luke 8:11

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (basson)

some great reading!i will be going in the next few weeks to give my testimony at a mens breakfast.i am scared some because i cant remember all things in the Bible.i have prayed about this for 2 years and now its going to happen.all i know is to tell them what the Lord has done for me in the last 4yrs with my health.i have been praying that the Lord would help me remember things in the Bible.i have talked one on one with older people about what has happened to me but this will be a first besides my church family.

21. Member

Re: A few thoughts on sharing your faith (bugman)

thanks guys ... I believe also but like many, never can back up my beliefs with "quotes" and sure could use some help doing so.....like everything, it takes practice annd hitting "The Book" will only make me stronger......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast