Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (BASSSPOOK)

Bassspook wrote: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just want to share the following with you; In Acts 2:38 the Greek/Hebrew translation for the word "FOR" is "because of". </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its time for some honesty. Here is what Strong's Concordance gives as the meaning of the Greek word "[I]eis NT:1519
    eis (ice); a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place, time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.); also in adverbial phrases:

KJV - [abundantly-], against, among, as, at, [back-] ward, before, by, concerning, + continual, + far more exceeding, for [intent, purposefore],, + forth, in (among, at, unto, -so much that, -to), to the intent that, + of one mind, + never, of, (up-) on, + perish, + set at one again, (so) that, therefore (-unto), throughout, til, to (be, the end, -ward), (here-) until (-to), ... ward, [wherefore-], with. Often used in composition with the same general import, but only with verbs (etc.) expressing motion (literally or figuratively)."

In light of that then Acts 2:38 would be properly considered as:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ

(for) to or into

the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Even in our English language the preposition "for" has at least 10 different definitions!!!!! To translate the proper usuage in the language the context of the text has to agree with other principles in the Bible. If my wife sends me to the store "for" a loaf of bread, it is not because I already have that loaf of bread, it is to get the bread. Same is true of remission of sins in this passage. In that there are so many other references to Baptism being connected to being saved the honest translator or user of the word witll recognize that the verbs Repent and baptized are actions that lead to , (unto) the condition (remisssion of sins).

Tecahers need to be careful about what they teach for they are subject to the greater condemnation (James 3:1). They can sure lead many astray and to their death or they can lead to truth and eternal life.

BC

2. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Bass Counselor)

Thanks Bass Counselor for your persistence in this important doctrine of scripture. My experience has been that new converts can see the value and need of baptism as part of salvation............. people who have learned to believe otherwise quite often are unwilling the accept the Bible's instruction (God's will) on this subject.

Ronnie

3. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (sportsman)

Thank you sporstman, but it is only my and your responsibility to help others understand. Millions of people are never taught the "whole counsel of God". I understand that somewhere in their life they were taught a "lie" and I understand why they beleive the lie. Many with good hearts and intentions have been led astray just as Christ Jesus , the apostle Paul and Peter warned. If they will only open their hears and their hearts they can change that. Most of the time it only takes examining the Bible and comparing what they have been taught with actually what is in the Bible. Why its ABSURD that any serious person seeking to be saved could not understand the import of being baptized when Jesus said "He that beleiveth and is baptized shall be saved." Add to that Peter's direct statement in 1 Pet 3:21 that "baptism doth also now SAVE us." I know my wife told ne after we were marrried and after she had been baptized and saved, that she had never heard that she needed to be baptized. She faithfully attended a Presbyterian worship and thought she was saved. Then she started hearing the truth and the truth convicted her, jsut as it wil ldo all good and honest hearts. My two nieces ages 16 & 18 who grew up in the home of a Baptist missionary recently visited us and after worshiping and hearing a couple of sermons they too said they realized they weren't saved and needed to be baptized. Again they studied their Bibles and listened to the truth. Strange that their father has preached and worked as a missionary for over 20 years and never had taught his daughters. The reason? Because he, like my wife was raised in a home where they worshipped thay know no what. The true gospel is powerful.

Those who respond here likely aren't willing to be honest and study, they are more concerned with dogma. Like the Pharisee's they will mislead people. However, I know there are LURKERS who are taking this seriously and will do honest study. I hope if they have questions they will IM me, or some other faitful brother. I am not the judge, but the word does judge and it is clear often that many people professing to be Christians are not congruent with the gospel.

God speed brothers & Preach the word,
    Larry

4. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Bass Counselor)

Bass Counselor I must admit that I've never considered the impact of these subjects on the lurker. As you said, many people are reading and studying. That's enough for me.

5. Member

Fellow BBCers. I have been reading some of these post and they really got me thinking about how much I have been why I turned away from Christ,and trying to come back.Well I got off the BBC site just long enough to order The Case for Christ, because so many of you have said that some of the answers to question that I and others have may be answered.I know that I have been thinking about Christ and religon quite a bit over the last few years,but haven't followed up on coming back.I don't know why I haven't acted on it sooner,but I can't wait to get the book in.And even my wife freaked out when i told her that I was going to order it and when it came time for shipping I picked standard shipping .but I got 2nd day shipping free.Well it sure looks like a sign from above to me and her.I am so glad that I decieded to come in this section and read some post.I will keep coming back and keep you folks posted and ask questions if you don't mind. Thanks,AL

6. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Bayoubandit)

God bless you Al. I'm sure you'll find many answers to questions in the book. It was a blessing to both Cajun and I. In my case it was just one more thing to confirm what I already believed, but for others who are seeking it can help provide answers.

If you ever feel you want to ask additional questions or discuss something Cajun and I are just an e-mail or PM away. You'll find our e-mail addresses in our profile.

We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/signatures/Mistysig1.gif

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

7. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (CajunsMisty)

Last night I read of a Chinese official who was given the task of smearing the name of a particular Christian missionary. To do that, this Chinese person set out to prove Jesus Christ was a hoax and that belief in him was rediculous.
    But, that's not what happened. The man was not able to disprove Christ......... in fact, he lay aside all fear and gave himself to Jesus Christ. He obeyed the gospel and began living for the One he had come to trust.
    It's very dangerous business when one begin reading the Bible for any purpose. It will begin affecting ones life whether they want it to or not.

8. Member

Since everybody's giving books to read, y'all really need to try Jay Yelas' autobiography. It's very inspirational, and it comes from one of the best fisherman in the world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (StetsonBasser)

StetsonBasser, I can relate. My dad was a babtist preacher and I got more than whippings. It effected me until a few years ago when I finally faced my demons and with the help of Christ, beat them. One thing I want you to know that no one has mentioned. The church is not a building. The church is you, and me, and all other born again Christians. The church is within you. The building we go to is called a church because that is where the church is when we are their worshiping. Whatever you have endured in your life, Christ has already overcome it. It is bought and paid for. All you need to do to receive it is lift it up to the lord. If you have never asked Christ to come into your heart, I strongly urge you to do that before anything else. If you don't know how, that is okay. You can PM me if you wish and I can show you. He is waiting for you, he has never left you. He has always been there waiting. Go to him.

10. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (deliveryguy22)

I tell people all the time I am not interested in religion! I am interested in relationship with Christ! Religion many times puts so many rules on us and holds us back from what God really has for us! I will keep you in my prayers!

11. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (jmay28711)

You are correct. It is not that I am (or claim to be) a christian, it is all about Jesus and what he did for me and anyone else who excepts. It's nice to find believers on this site.

12. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Sonoma)

I am 50 now. I hated my father until I was 40. I will not say what he did from 7 to 18. My wife of 24 years only began to receive my "giving" and "loving" side about 10 years ago. That is when I forgave my father for the way he treated me and my Mother for all those years. Before that I was always angry. Being angry can suck the love out of a marrige. Thank God my wife saw something in me I did not see. The point I am making is that my wife could see through my anger and did see my ability to love and care for others and her. And-that I had something more to bring to the table than just anger. She always had God/Jesus next to her. It did not come from her desire to be with me---it comes from her belief that in my broken down moments and she could see I wanted something more. AND that I loved her. I forgave my father. (the forgiving of my father took about 2 hours--but I spent 20 years getting to that moment!!!) Something, she always encouraged. We are having the best time each day now. Walking and talking each day. I have learned each of us is very special---ALL OF US are special. You sit by yourself and you think about it.!! All we want is to have someone we love make us feel special. So write and call all the people you love and give them what they need. Make them feel special!!. And, if you do that every month there is some interesting things that will happen to you.. I have never shared these thoughts and feelings in an open forum. But I thought after reading through this thread I should get it out there so others may know there is a way if you just forgive and love on a human level and then it becomes easy to understand the pain someone else long ago endured to forgive us for all we have done and the sins. My anger is wash away. My wife loves me and so do my children. That is quite remarkable.!!! It really is!!!!!!!!!!

13. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (E-tecRon)

I feel I have lost my faith although I still try to pray sometimes, i just have too many questions as to WHY I see so many bad things ALWAYS happening to good people. The scumbags who maim, murder, steal, swindle, and other crimes never seem to bear a cross and go through life without any sickness or financial problems. Whereas people who ALWAYS try to do the right thing, follow the rules, have good morals, are somewhat if not very faithful in their beliefs, seem to be inflicted with sickness and other problems thrown at them. I understand people will say "God only gives crosses to the strong" but WHY must this be done to people who try so hard? I see some people who have no faith at all doing so well with every part of their lives and yet they have no faith or beliefs. I have went back to church many times and tried to renew my faith only again to see someone I know or myself have a wrench thrown into the works. I do not understand also how he, God , could allow such horrible things to occur throughout the world. If he has so much power, and he wants his children to be good, why does he allow such horrible things to be done to people and to the world itself? I have wonder sometimes if he is a big joker at times just to make people wonder why these things happen. I am so unsure anymore but i really want to believe so bad, but cannot get over these obstacles I keep wondering about. Well I hope I do not get any sarcastic answers. I replied here hoping for someone to bring some light to these issues and maybe help me get back on track. I have talked to so many, but no answers I feel had anything more than their own views of why, and their thoughts as to the Bible. Sometimes I really think someone just wrote a good book and people have added to it through the ages. As you can see, I have lost a lot of faith and any direction.

14. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (sml175)

Dear sml175...I can see myself in the words you have written here. As they say, been there and done that (we all have). When I found myself questioning God, why this or why that, I finally went to the one I new could answer my questions...my DAD. Here is what he told me:

He began by quoting Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord." He began then to explain to me that we do not, cannot think like God does. We don't see things the way God does. God knows everything, even the future which is in itself a major reason why some things happen the way they do.

Dad then read John 9:1-3 "And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." I think, my friend, here in lies the answer to all of our questions..."but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." All things happen for the honor and glory of God...good and bad.

Let me try to explain it this way; hopefully you are familiar with the story of Hannah the young girl that recently passed away here in Arkansas at Children's Hospital from cancer...I think she was four years old. As I followed the unbelievable accounts of her family and what they and little Hannah were going thru...that little doubt thing would pop up over and over as to "Why God?" Why does this have to happen to this precious little beautiful girl...Why?? It is so unfair...I could even feel myself getting angry with God over this. I couldn't understand...until...

I began to notice how many people just on this message board were keeping up with Hannah's progress. Just how many people were offering prayers, offering financial assistance, offering encouragement, offering love and support. Perhaps some responding in a positive manner that would have not done so under any other circumstances. Something else Dad reminded me of is that God knows US better than we know ourselves. He knows what will hit us where it hurts and cause action. Sometimes positive action, sometimes negative action, this depends on us and thus comes into play making CHOICES. (that of course is a whole different subject)

So, am I saying that God allowed Hannah to suffer, to die, for the sake of thousands of others?? I answer this by asking...Did Hannah suffer? We all think it was very obvious that not only her, but her family as well, suffered immense pain and agony. Is that what God saw?? I guess only God can answer that, but with Isaiah 55:8 in mind, I think he saw something totally different. How one small little child could affect thousands and thousands of people and be in the love and admonition and caring arms of Jesus the whole time. Let me say this with all certainty, this one little precious life had a profound effect on this old boy, caused me to quit crying in my milk over my sad, selfish, self and begin to count my blessings naming them one by one.

sml175, if this life was all roses and no thorns how would we learn anything? If God gave us everything, wouldn't we be a bunch of spoiled rotten robots. I know I have learned a whole lot more from the hard times than the easy times. The Apostle Paul said, "I glory in my infirmities"...why...because when we are weak HE is strong and shines through us.

As for those that seem to be living this life to it's fullest...the more they sin the better off they seem to be?? Well, in my opinion, a loving God is allowing them to enjoy this short, very short life, because their eternity is not going to be that enjoyable.

Hopefully this will help a little in restoring your faith in God. It really is up to you though. If you seek God's face, HE will give you the answers you are looking for!!

God's grace be with you!!
    Steve Jacks

15. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (ACesBigDaddy)

Steve, I see all of your points but still cannot phathom as to why he has allowed this to happen to this little girl (which I have no knowledge of) instead of a scumbag rotting in prison who has harmed others? OR to Madoff who has swindled and resolve thousands of people dreams and all they worked for. for some idiot to take all from them in their upper ages. I cannot understand this. He may want us to "realize" things, but i cannot see the reasoning behind it. Why? Why would he allow this to happen? To this innocent girl, but these idiots go without a hitch? Sorry, but I need a better explanation. No sarcasm here, just justified reasoning as to why he does what he does. if that is how it is.

16. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (sml175)

sml175...so sorry I couldn't help. Maybe someone else will be able to respond to your questions? I was simply sharing experiences that I had that opened my eyes a bit and helped me to grasp just how BIG God is. I guess that once I realized that God is GOD and there is no other, then I found it very hard to question him about anything. I just accept by faith that He knows better than I, He is in control of all things and He loves us all so much that He gave his only begotten Son to pay the penalty for my sins.

I, too, have found that the older I get the more it all makes sense.

I'll be praying that God will grant you the peace of understanding all that you have questions about.

Sincerely,
    Steve

17. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (ACesBigDaddy)

I also keep hoping for that day. I have tried many times to hand everything over, but I have not seen no clue or enlightenment as to the path I am chosen to have. Thanks again

18. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (tnbassin)

Wow, I could have written your post myself. See my similar post later in this section. I just began reading some others.

19. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (CajunBass)

I have asked, begged, etc etc for any kind of guidance in which he wants me to go. I have received nothing (maybe i did not see the guidance?). Although I was saved from 2 major accidents none my fault (injuries, but ok), I have had 4 major career changes (not by choice except for a very regretful decision I will regret the rest of my life, it actually tears me up every day for giving up a career I truly loved for my ex wife who had to move back home). I keep trying to ask for guidance, I have tried and thought i was doing the right thing. But at this point in my life I do not know what to do. I am working now but am not happy although I have chosen this as a profession, I am always comparing it to what I gave up and what else I could be doing. I have a wonderful girlfriend whom I would love to be with for the rest of our lives except she wants children and I am already snipped. Do I get it reversed and have a family, do I leave her and move on, we have been together 4 years, do I stay at my present job or look for another closer to my home. I travel over 2 hours per day. I also have a very bad back and always plead for healing so I can move forward. I never know each day if I will be able to do normal things. Anyway, I know I sound like a whining idiot, it is just that I see no signs, paths, or reasons as to why these things happen and others who treat people like crap, murder, lie, steal, cheat, swindle, and have no beliefs, go through life without a hitch and always land on their feet.

Update: It is a new year, and I will try my best to allow him to take control of my life. I just do not know when he has, or when i have.

Modified by sml175 at 3:04 AM 1/2/2010

20. Member
    Smi, I don't know if you still check in three years later? I have faith God will convey the message.

I do my share of griping, stirring the pot, and I have to remind myself daily who is really in charge! For me, it's a daily reminder!

Long story short my wife and I made the decision to take a gamble on a job, much like your story. I've drove just under two hours each way for the past three years. Most say I'm insane but it's nothing short of a calling. Recently, a Chaplin leaving the Army after 25 years came to me and asked what should he do with his post military career. He didn't have a needed certification to work with soldiers on the outside because the healthcare laws have changed due to PTSD. New seminary students have this built in to their studies. He would have been two years getting this working two jobs, one intern, one FT. All the time doing the job in the military meant nothing in the civilian healthcare market. He was angry.

Talk about un-nerving, have a Chaplin ask you for advice. I'm used to this scenario being the other way around for most people. As someone who helps people with their careers I have to be real careful about what I say. In this case my initial answer was sterile. As the days of class went on a tragedy happened to someones family and they had to leave immediately. The Chaplin looked at me, I looked at him and neither of us had to say a word. I looked at the window in time to see him catch the person and pray with them as they sobbed at their car. Enough of the sterility. When class was over that day we sat down and prayed together.

Two months went by, we stayed in touch. I am contractually done when I walk out of the class room. Morally I feel called to do more. He is now the pastor of a church in a large city. He brings a wealth of compassion and knowledge of the world to an area that has a diverse population.

I took the time to write this because I wanted to let you know what ever is going on is happening for a reason. As tough was it seems the more you fight it the harder it is to see the reason. My wife and I have had a tough three years financially. We know there is a reason, we know we have made a difference in peoples lives that cannot be measured in dollars. Those people make a difference in other lives. God works through us in ways we cannot fathom. I don't know all the verses to go along with what I am typing like some here do. I can only tell you if you'll make a daily effort to give your life over and quit the questions (you can keep stirring in the lounge LOL) in your heart you may or may not find the answers. Have faith he has a plan for each and everyone of us.

I'll end by giving thanks for the gifts we have and as always asking for strength to be the person God wants me to be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast