Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (BassCatVa)

Thanks everyone. As they say, first step is to admit. It is only up from there. It sure makes a person feel better to talk about it and get some help .

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (tnbassin)

tnbassin,
    I can't say anything any better than what was already said. I can only comfort you that you are not the only one to feel this way at one time or another, and offer this advise. Seek first the kindom of God and invite Jesus to reside in you. Once this is done, Jesus will open your eyes to the truths that you seek. Keep seeking God and He will open the door. I will be praying for you.
    God bless,
    Stephen

3. Member

Dave, i would like to make a book suggestion for you. The book is: The case for Christ. it's written by Lee Strobel. Strobel is a former journalist for the Chicago Tribune who took a very investigative look at the claims of Christ and Christianity after his wife became a Christian and he wanted to prove her wrong. Strobel is now a pastor of a church of thousands. Needless to say what he found out was life changing!!!

4. Moderator

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (StetsonBasser)

I'll echo that Aaron, and kick myself for not thinking of it. "A Case for Christ" was one of the most important resources for me to bring me back to Jesus. I saw a copy in a truck stop one night, and thought "I should by that. Looks interesting." A month later, what I'm sure was the same copy was still there waiting for me. This time, I didn't pass it by. What I read bought me back to Christ. It made me realize that althought I said I was a Christian, I really didn't understand what that meant. Praise God, today I do. I still fall short. But I know what the ultimate goal is now.

5. Member

Thanks, that may be the book that I am looking for. I just started reading the purpose driven life book (I think that is what it is called). The book sure has got a lot of positive publicity. I will also find and read the one you mentioned.

6. Moderator

Dave, I think that one of the greatest things for me, when I read "The Case for Christ", was to REALLY understand that although Jesus died on that cross, He ROSE again from the dead, and is ALIVE today. It's one of those things that I "knew" but I didn't really "KNOW" if that makes sense.

If you look at all the worlds other religions, they follow a god who is either dead, or has never lived. Buddha is dead. Mohammad is dead. Jesus Christ is alive. Only He has conquered death, and because He lives today, we too can live again. Because Jesus died on that cross, and rose from the dead, we too can have eternal life with Him.

That's a key. Eternal life WITH HIM. Too often we say "have eternal life". Folks, don't ever forget this. You WILL have eternal life. No matter rather you choose to follow Jesus Christ or not. The question is where will you spend eternity? Heaven? Or hell?

People will say, "Oh, I don't believe God will send me to hell just because..." and they're right; He won't. God doesn't send anyone to hell. You chose to do that all by yourself. The rules are clear. They are written out in the rule book. And they are really quite simple. What must I do to be saved? In the book of Romans, Chapter 10, verse 9, the Apostle Paul tells us, "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Again in the book of Acts, Chapter 16, verse 31, Luke records Paul and Silas as saying, "So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." Praise God!

Jesus Christ is the way to heaven. He is not A way. He is the ONLY way. I don't say that. Jesus said it himself. (John 14:6), I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." If you haven't made the decision to follow him, I pray that you will.

7. Member

Stetson: I'm a new BBC member, and will be taking a trip with my wife this Oct. in the new england states, are there some especially interesting towns you would recommend for an old Navyman to visit, we like to take our bikes and ride around small towns and explore, (thats bicycles) not harleys. You can e-mail me at Forjacks@aol.com. Thanks for any suggestions, and keep passing the good word, we're all troubled some just more than others. Thanks

8. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (navyman)

Thanks Ron,
    I just sent you an email, there's tons of great towns to visit up here.

9. Member

Hello Aaron. My life right now is exactly as you described it, always wanting more and in general not ever truly happy. I realize I do have so much to be thankful for, a wonderful son, beautiful wife and a nice home and toys. I grew up in the Baptist Church and made the commitment to follow Jesus some 18 years ago. Over the last few years I have stopped going to church and really have no desire to go. The few times I have been I sat there and felt absolutly nothing except the desire to go home. I could really use everybodys prayers and advice to get out of this quagmire and back in life. Thanks-Chris

10. Moderator

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (PRO HAWK)

Chris, my friend, you are in exactly the same boat I was in a few years ago. I too grew up in a Baptist home, and started my backslide when I was 18. Somehow or other, I survived long enough to reach where I am today. I can't say I ever really turned my back on God back then, I always knew He was around, I just thought He didn't have time to worry about ME. I wasn't angry or anthing, I just figred that God was busy doing "God Stuff" and didn't have time to worry about me. He was holding the universe together and that kind of thing.

Oh how wrong I was. I was trying to make God into MY image, not the other way arround.

God reached out an touched me again. He called me back into His flock, and I praise Him that He did. OH! How lost I was.

I'll pray for you my brother. I'll add you to our prayer list at the top of the page. You pray for yourself. God is listening. Just ask Him to guide you in the direction HE wants you to go. He will answer.

You see, it's really very simple. It's all about what God wants. Not what I want, but what HE wants.

(Edited to add)

Chris, you say you have no desire to go to church, yet you find yourself here, asking questions. God is speaking to your heart my brother. I don't believe things happen in a vaccum. God influences our every action, I see Him in my life every day now. Jesus is calling to you. That's the longing you have deep in your soul. Jesus is calling you to come back to Him. Your soul knows that's where you belong.

In the word of the old Baptist invation hymn.

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling.
    Calling for you and for me.
    See on the portal, He's waiting and watching.
    Watching for you and for me.

Come home, Come Home.
    Ye who are weary come home.
    Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
    Calling oh sinner, come home.

11. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (gbctrdrman)

Vann, Im a Sergeant with the Sheriff's Department. I have been employed for approx. 20 years. like yourself, I have seen alot of terrible things. But i feel the lord has put me in this position to be a vessel. what a better environment to reach people for Christ... I take every oppertunity to witness as the Lord opens the door and uses me as a mouthpiece... The Lord has put you in this position for a reason. not all of us will become the President or K.V.D. Keep your head up and most definitley keep the faith..

Modified by skeeterdude07 at 2:18 AM 1/31/2006

12. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (skeeterdude07)

Without going into details I am having a very hard time right now in my life and reading these posts has made me feel a little bit better and somewhat teary eyed.

13. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tnbassin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, I will talk. I don't go to church. I have been confused for a long time about religion. I am an Engineer by trade and it comes natural to me to be one. For the last 20 years I have been dealing with tangible facts being an Engineer. I want to believe, but I can't seem to find a way to prove to myself that it is real. I think I have watched too many discovery shows that talk about the evolution of animals, including man. Evolution seems very logical, but I don't want to believe it. Lately I have found myself looking for some evidence that the Bible is real and hasn't been changed over the last 1000 years. I have bought several books but can't seem to find it in those. It seems logical to me that someone along the line may have changed the bible to match their beliefs. Maybe some of it happened when it was coverted into English. I don't know how to believe because it doesn't seem logical, but I really want to. Sorry if I am making the hard core religious folks uncomfortable or not like me, but I need to figure out how to believe and soon.
    </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you are ready, you are yearning for Christ as he is for you. Satan has a way of decieving us, he tried to tempt Christ imagine what he is doing to us.

Doubt = Satan
    Faith = Christ

Life to me is not satisfying without Christ in my life, I wished I would have found that out earlier. I like you (not judginng you)had to see it to believe it.
    My life is now complete.

Pray to him and he will answer, it may not be imediate but he will!!
    Also get an Jackson "Precious memories"cd ,,very inspiring.
    It helps me, and I recomend it to everyone.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus

14. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Scott W.)

Read the book of John in the new testament. Before you read, pray to God that he will help you to understand what you are reading. I have been a biologist for 30 years. A couple of years ago, I accepted Jesus. I wasn't going to church- no one talked to me. I was just reading the new testament and realized I wanted to accept Jesus into my life. You will too - just watch what happens! I'll pray for you.

15. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (banjoman)

What is the chapter and verse for accepting Jesus into one's life?

BC

16. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (Bass Counselor)

Bass Counselor, I'm pretty sure that the book of Acts is the only place in the Bible that you'll find the answer to your question. The book of Acts contains all the details of unbelievers coming to Jesus Christ. All the other book of the Bible discribe the ministry of Jesus(the Gospel's) and all the activities of the early church (Christians). Acts provides details of over a dozen unbelievers coming to Christ. It includes God's involvement, Jesus' involvement, and the new believer's involvement in being added to the Kingdom of God.

Acts 2:47 "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."

The Book of Acts contains the information you seek.

Sportsman.

17. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (sportsman)

If you are looking for just one verse, you won't find it. Read through the gospels.
    Jesus teaches the disciples and us what we must do to be saved. He taught:

We must hear the word.
    We must believe the word.
    we must confess that we are sinners and repent from sin
    we must confess Jesus as our personal Savior
    We must be baptized for the remisson of sins and to recieve the gift of The Holy Sp
    We must continue to live a life faithful to God and His teachings.

Jesus taught all of these steps.

In the Book of Acts, Peter did preach and people were saved, but they followed the doctrine of the Apostles, which was the teachings of Jesus. Acts 2:38 sums it up pretty well.

Hope this is a help to you.

18. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (bluetrac)

New Testament: KJV

Luke 23:39-43 first example of person being saved "The Thief on the Cross".
    a. He recognized "GOD"
    b. He confessed with his mouth
    c. He called on the LORD

the following are some of the Scriptures that tell us what to do to be saved, just read them and you will understand how to be saved.

John 3:15-16, Acts 2:21, Acts 16:30-31, Romans 10:9, Romans 10:13

I just want to share the following with you; In Acts 2:38 the Greek/Hebrew translation for the word "FOR" is "because of". So we understand that Baptism is not a requirement for salvation. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. It identifies us with other believers. Jesus was not baptized for the forgiveness of sin, but so that he could identify with us. Think about this, if Baptism was required for the forgiveness of sins, then Jesus Christ died for nothing. God Bless!

19. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (BASSSPOOK)

Well BASSSPOOK, you're the one!
    I knew it wouldn't be long before some liberal thinking Christian would come along and tell us to ignore what the Bible says about baptism. And I know why you believe the way you do. I really do. You believe that because that is what you were taught, that is how you were saved and you and your teacher could not have been wrong............. But you are wrong.

First. The thief on the cross did not become the first saved Christian. The Church wasn't established until Jesus died and was resurrected and until Peter preached in Jerusalem in Acts chapter 2.

Romans chapter 6 tells of the significance of baptism.
    Paul was told, "Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins.

I also disagree with your analysis of Acts 2:38.

Baptism is NOT the way to get to heaven............ But, it is part of salvation.
    Just like Faith, confession, repentance. They all are important.

Please don't tell anyone they can pray themselves into heaven because there isn't one single example of it happening in the New Testament Church.

God Bless you all.

20. Member

Re: Do you feel lost and confused? (BASSSPOOK)

bassspook,

This article will help you understand the thief's relationship to Jesus

http://www.bbcboards.net...73986

Another point the Greek word "eis" used in Acts 2:38 is best translates "unto" and not "for" or "because of". In most other similar passages that reflect the action they are translated "unto" rather than "for".. Common mistake that people often make. I pray you will be honest enough to open your heart and study God's word and not just repeat something you have heard others say.

Larry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast