Etecs And Octane...?

I just had the powerhead replaced on my 07 225 HO Etec. my understanding is that the EPA has restricted these etecs to run so lean on fuel, is why alot of guys are having trouble out of them. what octane are you guys running in your rigs? would a bump up in the octane make these motors run any richer? if im way off track on this...dont be to hard on me...
    Matt Bradley

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (MGBrad84)

Matt, BRP recommends 87 octane. It's what I run in my 03 DI. It's not just an ETEC thing, all the 2 strokes are dealing with it, just different problems with each.

Octain is not the issue in my openion, ethenol is! You should do everything you can to address the issue especially with older boats. Replace the fuel lines with new ethenol resistant hose of the correct size. add a fuel water seporator to the system, and run an additive to stabilize the fuel. I run the recommended 87 octain fuel which I believe turns over faster at the stations and therefore will always be the freshest fuel. JMO.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (Danrude)

+1 I stabilize every gallon of fuel going into my rig, sometimes to excess. I like the BRP 2+2 and the Startron. I do use the Stabil marine if I can't get my hands on the other right away.

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (Bassmeister)

Thanks guys, i have always run 87 octane + marine formula stabil in mine. i just purchased 2 big bottles of the brp 2+2 so i am going to start using that on the next fill up. Mike, do you add the 2+2 and an ethanol stabilizer in yours or just one or the other?? Dan, i am going to look into adding those ethanol fuel lines and a fuel water seporator in the line as well. i do not believe there in one installed on my rig already. thanks again guys
    Matt Bradley

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by MGBrad84 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Thanks guys, i have always run 87 octane + marine formula stabil in mine. i just purchased 2 big bottles of the brp 2+2 so i am going to start using that on the next fill up. Mike, do you add the 2+2 and an ethanol stabilizer in yours or just one or the other?? Dan, i am going to look into adding those ethanol fuel lines and a fuel water seporator in the line as well. i do not believe there in one installed on my rig already. thanks again guys </td></tr></table>
    i run the XD-100 oil exclusively, so I only add something for the ethanol, whether it be 2+2, startron, or stabil marine. I haven't added an extra filter to my rig, as the one under the cowl seems to be doing it's job .... I've never had a water alarm, I have found a teaspoon of water once, but if changed regurlary, shouldn't be a problem.

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (Danrude)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Danrude &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Octain is not the issue in my openion, ethenol is! You should do everything you can to address the issue especially with older boats. Replace the fuel lines with new ethenol resistant hose of the correct size. add a fuel water seporator to the system, and run an additive to stabilize the fuel. I run the recommended 87 octain fuel which I believe turns over faster at the stations and therefore will always be the freshest fuel. JMO. </td></tr></table>
    So I quess it's ok to add a water separator on 2009 250 HO. Mercury told me not to add one on the Pro XS.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (dk239)

From all I hear from the gurus here, it's ok, just make sure the lines going to and from is 3/8ths ID I think most use the 10 micron ..

Re: Etecs And Octane...? (Bassmeister)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Bassmeister &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">From all I hear from the gurus here, it's ok, just make sure the lines going to and from is 3/8ths ID I think most use the 10 micron ..</td></tr></table> You are correct.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

10. Member

The EPA hasn't done anything but set regulations. The E-Tecs were designed to run very lean up to 2K RPM, and considerably richer above. The charge is so lean that it wouldn't burn if it weren't directed toward the spark plug. But this is exactly the way it was designed and doesn't represent an issue at all. However, a clogged or broken injector can be. So there's a compelling need to be sure your fuel is clean and free of water.