Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Do not use the boat wiring harness in any way. Pull a circuit for the bow unit all the way to the battery. Same for the console unit. Fuse the circuits at the battery.
    An alternative is to install a dedicated electronics fuse panel and then connect the units to that. Circuit breaker at the battery for the fuse panel. Correct fuse in the panel for each individual unit.

Waypoints are created and written to the unit's memory, they are never to be on any map card for any reason. Waypoints are GPS data, mapping is map data, they are different.

The added mapping should have the waters you will navigate on--check their coverages. You can download the Lakemaster lake list from the Humminbird Lakemaster site, and view the current Navionics maps on their website's Web App.

Ethernet lets you share GPS data, Ethernet accessories, sensors, and sonar data.

Either post a picture of your transom and/or look at all the installs at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks for the reply, I have a dedicated Fuse Panel for electronics, I installed this.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with 10 gauge coming from the battery to it.
    However I do not at the moment have a circuit breaker at the battery. What size should that be? My plan was to solder them both into the same 14 gauge wires ran to the fuse panel. I think you are suggesting to run the both on their own circuit. So run the front one to a circuit fused with a 3 amp and the console one on another circuit fused with 3 amp? And I attached some photos of my transom, I think you just replied before I got them up. Thanks again!

You could consider putting one of these at the battery ...... size the fuse according to your total electronics load.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...ry%2Bfuse&th=1
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmithFishn View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I have a dedicated Fuse Panel for electronics, I installed this.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with 10 gauge coming from the battery to it.
    However I do not at the moment have a circuit breaker at the battery. What size should that be? My plan was to solder them both into the same 14 gauge wires ran to the fuse panel. I think you are suggesting to run the both on their own circuit. So run the front one to a circuit fused with a 3 amp and the console one on another circuit fused with 3 amp? And I attached some photos of my transom, I think you just replied before I got them up. Thanks again!

Run a 12 ga wire to the fuse box, fuse the wire from the box to the battery with a 20 amp fuse. In the fuse box use the fuses recommended by HB for each unit.

I also run 12 ga to the bow unit from the fuse panel. Some folks run 10ga from the battery to the panel and while that is fine I haven't found 12ga to be an issue. I get the same readings at the bow that I have at the fuse box.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    You could consider putting one of these at the battery ...... size the fuse according to your total electronics load.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...ry%2Bfuse&th=1
    This is what I bought. I am planning on running 10ga wire from each head unit straight to this fuse block, is that recommended or do I also need something in between? Units are Helix 10DI bow and Onix 10SI console. Thanks.

You could do that .... or just use that block at the battery to power a fuse block at the console as James ....Fishfood .... suggested. He does a lot of installs and knows what works.

6. Member
    Can someone tell me if it is absolutely necessary to fill the bilge with water to test out a shoot thru hull transducer? It just takes so long for the bilge area in my boat to dry out.. I would like to get this tranducer installed this weekend..thanks in advance!!

There are alternatives to filling the bilge with water .... https://support.norcrossmarine.com/h...ducer-in-hull-

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    This is what I bought. I am planning on running 10ga wire from each head unit straight to this fuse block, is that recommended or do I also need something in between? Units are Helix 10DI bow and Onix 10SI console. Thanks.
    If you have 10ga or feel better using it by all means install it that way. If you mount the fuse box under the console the majority of the time a units power cord will reach it. My personal boat has 10 ga wire simply because I may be running 6-8 units on a demo trip. The quick connectors though are installed with 14ga wire so they are more flexible.

I have another fuse panel in the bow that is connected to the console fuse panel with 12ga wire. At any give time it runs 2 units and a 360 with no issues.

9. Member
    Do not use the boat wiring harness in any way. Pull a circuit for the bow unit all the way to the battery. Same for the console unit. Fuse the circuits at the battery.
    An alternative is to install a dedicated electronics fuse panel and then connect the units to that. Circuit breaker at the battery for the fuse panel. Correct fuse in the panel for each individual unit.

Waypoints are created and written to the unit's memory, they are never to be on any map card for any reason. Waypoints are GPS data, mapping is map data, they are different.

The added mapping should have the waters you will navigate on--check their coverages. You can download the Lakemaster lake list from the Humminbird Lakemaster site, and view the current Navionics maps on their website's Web App.

Ethernet lets you share GPS data, Ethernet accessories, sensors, and sonar data.

Either post a picture of your transom and/or look at all the installs at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks for the reply, this is my transom. I understand the mapping and ethernet now, thank you! Im going to epoxy in a 2d transducer in the hull, but if you could suggest the best place to mount the side imagining transducer that would be appreciated! Also my last question is what size circuit breaker should I run off the battery? From my battery I have a positive wire running to a battery disconnect switch. From there I have positive 10 gauge wire running to this fuse panel under the console. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Also a positive wire from the motor. I have a negative wire from the motor to the battery and a 10 gauge wire running from the negative post of the battery to the fuse panel as well. On that fuse panel I'm going to wire nav/ anchor lights, bilge pump, aerator, and fuel gauge, all individually fused. Along with the 2 depth finders independently wired with 14 gauge going to 2 separate circuits on the fuse panel each with a 3 amp fuse. So I'm not sure what size circuit breaker to put on the battery, this 20 amp? https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manu...ircuit+breaker
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    What solder should I use for my splices?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmithFishn View Post

Thanks for the reply, this is my transom. I understand the mapping and ethernet now, thank you! Im going to epoxy in a 2d transducer in the hull, but if you could suggest the best place to mount the side imagining transducer that would be appreciated! Also my last question is what size circuit breaker should I run off the battery? From my battery I have a positive wire running to a battery disconnect switch. From there I have positive 10 gauge wire running to this fuse panel under the console. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Also a positive wire from the motor. I have a negative wire from the motor to the battery and a 10 gauge wire running from the negative post of the battery to the fuse panel as well. On that fuse panel I'm going to wire nav/ anchor lights, bilge pump, aerator, and fuel gauge, all individually fused. Along with the 2 depth finders independently wired with 14 gauge going to 2 separate circuits on the fuse panel each with a 3 amp fuse. So I'm not sure what size circuit breaker to put on the battery, this 20 amp? https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manu...ircuit+breaker
    What you described is exactly what you should be avoiding. The electronics should be on a fuse panel that is by itself, not with all that other stuff connected to it also.

Yes a 20A circuit breaker for a 10 gauge supplied fuse panel is OK.

The SI transducer attached like this, red block is the mount and yellow line is the transducer:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    What solder should I use for my splices?
    Rosin core solder is used for electrical splices.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    What you described is exactly what you should be avoiding. The electronics should be on a fuse panel that is by itself, not with all that other stuff connected to it also.

Yes a 20A circuit breaker for a 10 gauge supplied fuse panel is OK.

The SI transducer attached like this, red block is the mount and yellow line is the transducer:

Thank you very much sir! Please pardon my ignorance, what would be the problem with attaching my depth finders to the fuse panel? The advantage of running the wires straight to the battery with inline fuses? My thoughts on attaching the depth finders to the fuse panel was so I didn't have as many connections at the battery and less wires running around, just cleaner and easier, but if its going to cause problems i will just go to the battery as you suggest. I trust your opinion and Im aware you are much more educated on the subject, I just learn by knowing they "why" Thanks again for your replies!

A LOT of people have had problems when trying to use the boat's fuse panel ..... intermittent connections problems, other loads, insufficient wire size, etc

You can install a Blue Sea fuse block dedicated to electronics ...... solder or use professional grade crimper for all connections.

15. Member
    How big of a hole di I need to drill in my console to pull my Onix cables through? I'll have the Y transducer cable, Ethernet, power, and GPS NMEA adapter cables. I'm thinking 1 1/2" would that be sufficient?

16. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShipHappens View Post
    #1. For that hull, a shoot-thru XP 9 20 transducer for high speed depth readings. Fix those holes in the bottom step.

#2. For the SI transducer---beside the livewell intake screen or above it below the right side engine mount and bottom of the transom the engine is attached to.
    That way it is protected from possible impact damage and you get SI at idle speed.

Connect the two transducers to the display with the AS SIDB Y cable.

You will get Sonar/Depth all the time from the shoot-thru and SI/Temp from the SI transducer all the time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Banned
    #1. For that hull, a shoot-thru XP 9 20 transducer for high speed depth readings. Fix those holes in the bottom step.

#2. For the SI transducer---beside the livewell intake screen or above it below the right side engine mount and bottom of the transom the engine is attached to.
    That way it is protected from possible impact damage and you get SI at idle speed.

Connect the two transducers to the display with the AS SIDB Y cable.

You will get Sonar/Depth all the time from the shoot-thru and SI/Temp from the SI transducer all the time.
    thank you very much

19. Member
    I've been trying to find the name of the part but cant, what's the cleanest way to run your wires to the fish finder on the console and cover them up? Some Type of wire theough clam shell type thing? There's a square black one kinda looks like something Humminbird makes, anyone know what it's called ?
    <IG> Seb2fn

20. Member
    What if anything will Helix 10 share with 998c SI through Ethernet cable only?

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast