Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbender View Post
    Wayne, what is the wiring thing that came with my transducer? It is a round device with the red and black wires coming out of each side. It has terminal rings on one end and butt splices on the other.
    Answered your PM

2. Member
    Afternoon all. I have a quick question. Purchased a Helix 9 G2N chirp w/gps. I have a 5 port with 2- Helix 10 G2N and the 9 connected the 5 port. Both 10's share info however the 9 is not. I noticed there is not a network symbol in the upper right hand corner of the menu screen. Also I have not done an update since I purchased the 9. Would this be the fix or something else?

Thanks in advance
    Wayne M.

Quote Originally Posted by WLM189 View Post
    Afternoon all. I have a quick question. Purchased a Helix 9 G2N chirp w/gps. I have a 5 port with 2- Helix 10 G2N and the 9 connected the 5 port. Both 10's share info however the 9 is not. I noticed there is not a network symbol in the upper right hand corner of the menu screen. Also I have not done an update since I purchased the 9. Would this be the fix or something else?

Thanks in advance
    Wayne M.
    It will have the network menu tab when it recognizes it is connected to the network.
    May have to do an update to get it at the same level as the other two, or update the other two to get it to the same level as the new unit.
    Check all three unit's software version.
    If that doesn't work swap ports on the Ethernet Switch and/or Ethernet cables.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I did the latter and when I get back to the lake I'll check the software version.

5. Member
    Great information!

6. Member
    Wayne,
    I want to redo my units because I don't think they were networked properly. I have a Helix 12 Mega SI at console, Helix 10 DI at bow and an iPilot Link. I don't have a DI transducer other than the one built in the trolling motor. Also, I have no gps puck at the bow and I feel I need one other than the built in.

I want these units hooked up correctly, and wondered if you have a diagram I can use to accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    Wayne,
    I want to redo my units because I don't think they were networked properly. I have a Helix 12 Mega SI at console, Helix 10 DI at bow and an iPilot Link. I don't have a DI transducer other than the one built in the trolling motor. Also, I have no gps puck at the bow and I feel I need one other than the built in.

I want these units hooked up correctly, and wondered if you have a diagram I can use to accomplish this?
    Don't know of any diagrams, it's just simple connections.
    Do you have the AS ETH 5PXG Etherent Switch and three Ethernet cables connected to it?
    What version trolling motor do you have that has a DI transducer in it?
    What are the entire model names of the two Helix units? Look on the back of the unit for the bar code label.

I'll reply to your answers tomorrow morning.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Wayne,
    Sorry for the delay, had to go to boat house to get info. Helix 12 Chirp SI GPS G2N, Helix 10 Chirp DI GPS G2N, Ultrex with iPilot Link. I have an AS GPS HS puck and a Minn Kota puck behind drivers seat. I have a SI transducer mounted to my jack plate and a DI puck mounted to my trolling motor.

shouldnt I have a GPS puck on the bow? Why would the Minn Kota puck be behind the drivers seat?

Wayne,
    Sorry for the delay, had to go to boat house to get info. Helix 12 Chirp SI GPS G2N, Helix 10 Chirp DI GPS G2N, Ultrex with iPilot Link. I have an AS GPS HS puck and a Minn Kota puck behind drivers seat. I have a SI transducer mounted to my jack plate and a DI puck mounted to my trolling motor.

shouldnt I have a GPS puck on the bow? Why would the Minn Kota puck be behind the drivers seat?
    A proper installation for a bass boat is a GPS antenna at the transom for the console unit/s and a GPS Heading sensor antenna at the bow. The Minnkota Heading Sensor can be anywhere since it is not GPS, it "talks" to the GPS in the iPilot via Bluetooth.

If you do the iPilot LINK update, you can share the Minnkota heading sensor to the bow unit instead of putting a AS GPS HS at the bow.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Getting back onto this after a year away - Any particular reason to have a GPS puck if the unit has an internal GPS sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCook View Post
    Getting back onto this after a year away - Any particular reason to have a GPS puck if the unit has an internal GPS sensor?
    Yes two reasons.

For the console unit, the GPS antenna should be at the transom so it is near the transducer for accurate waypoints based on sonar returns and for contour map creation= depth and location at the same place.
    For the bow, a GPS/Heading sensor to stabilize position when at less than .6 mph. That is when GPS cannot calculate direction (course).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    I am going to be running 2 helix units at the console, networked via the Ethernet switch. With that I can run my 2d shoot through to one of them and my Mega SI to the other and there is no reason for a “Y” cable as I can access data from both transducers via the network correct?
    TACKLE WHORE!

Quote Originally Posted by hasetak View Post
    I am going to be running 2 helix units at the console, networked via the Ethernet switch. With that I can run my 2d shoot through to one of them and my Mega SI to the other and there is no reason for a “Y” cable as I can access data from both transducers via the network correct?
    If both units are operating at the same time, they will cross-talk.

The proper setup is both transducers connected to one unit via Y cable and data shared to the other unit via Ethernet.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If both units are operating at the same time, they will cross-talk.

The proper setup is both transducers connected to one unit via Y cable and data shared to the other unit via Ethernet.
    i have the Y cable, I was just hoping to utilize the (from what I understand) better 2d sonar capabilities of the Mega SI transducer when graphing and the shoot through for depth on pad.

Is this bad logic?
    TACKLE WHORE!

Quote Originally Posted by hasetak View Post
    i have the Y cable, I was just hoping to utilize the (from what I understand) better 2d sonar capabilities of the Mega SI transducer when graphing and the shoot through for depth on pad.

Is this bad logic?
    If the units are the same model year, the 2D function is the same whether it's the 2D crystal in the MEGA SI transducer or the standalone 2D transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If the units are the same model year, the 2D function is the same whether it's the 2D crystal in the MEGA SI transducer or the standalone 2D transducer.
    They are not the same year, one of them is on the boat I am buying (pretty sure the unit came on the boat from the factory in July of 2016) and one of them is coming off my current boat and is a G2N purchased 12 months ago.

Is there a way to tell if a unit is g1 vs G2N and/or what year they are?
    TACKLE WHORE!

A first generation does not indicate it is one so it does not have that in its model name.
    G2, G2N, G3, and G3N units do have it indicated in their model names in one of the startup screens, on the bar code serial number sticker, and on the SYSTEM STATUS view.

The day the unit was made is the first six digits of the serial number YY/MM/DD
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Wayne, what is the difference between a XM9 20 MSI T and a XM9 HW MSI T? I have a Helix 12 Chirp SI GPS G2N and trying to figure out which is best.

19. Member
    Wayne, what is the difference between a XM9 20 MSI T and a XM9 HW MSI T? I have a Helix 12 Chirp SI GPS G2N and trying to figure out which is best.
    The XM 9 HW MSI T is for the new G3 MEGA SI+ models.

https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...rst-generation
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

20. Member
    I currently have 959 ci DI combo, a terrova 80, 360 on my hand made deployment pole, and ethernet switch on my bow. I have the Terrova, the 360, and the 959 plugged into the ethernet switch. I have the 360 puck plugged into the 959. I have the 959 DI transducer attached to the Terrova and plugged into the 959. Now I'm adding a Helix 9 Mega+ chirp SI GN3 sonar/chartplotter to the bow. My goal is to run the 360 on the 959 while I run mega plus SI,DI,Chirp2d, on the Helix 9. To achieve this I plan to attach the Helix 9 SI transducer to the bottom of the bow 360 deployment pole below the 360 transducer and plug the Helix 9 transducer into the Helix. I plan to attach an ethernet cable from the Helix 9 to the ethernet swtch. I'd like to be able to follow the contour on either unit so should the 360 GPS puck remain plugged into the 959 or should it be plugged into the ehternet switch or into the Helix 9? This is on a freedom 180 tiller and I have a seperate non networkable Humminbird 797 SI on the transom. I've already down loaded my way point on the 959 to an sd card and uploaded them onto the new Helix 9. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Kevin

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast