Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Yes. Humminbird 998c is Ethernet Compatible. You need to update software to enable Ethernet Menu if the unit is that old.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

2. Member
    Hello-

Well I am a new user to this site and let me tell you that there is a TON of great information. Doug I have already watched a bunch of your Youtube videos and posting and boy are they informative.

My brother and I just purchased a 2005 Champion 198 Elite and also a side imaging humminbird for the console. I've been scouring these forums for as much info before drilling any holes in the boat to make sure we do it right. We obtained the same L-bracket and tranducer saver rear mount as you mentioned and shown in the champion install photos forum and above and want to see if you could help out with a little more information on making sure I understand everything properly.

the question I have for you are:
    1) does your placement of the transducer make the humminbird read images as expected, even at high speed? Any interference or tweaking you had to do? Based on the manuals it appears it should and based on other forums too. I know that i won't get images at high speed on the SI but with teh DI and normal ducer, I should still be able to correct?

thanks!
    Dan

When using a Jackplate Mount if you want on place 2D Readings you will need the XP 9 20 and the AS SI DB Y Cable to epocy a shoot thru transducer to shoot thru the hull. SI and DI with this set-up will be out of the water when on plane so only those readings will be available when off plane speeds and the transducer is in the water.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    When using a Jackplate Mount if you want on place 2D Readings you will need the XP 9 20 and the AS SI DB Y Cable to epocy a shoot thru transducer to shoot thru the hull. SI and DI with this set-up will be out of the water when on plane so only those readings will be available when off plane speeds and the transducer is in the water.
    thanks Doug- so we would still have the basic/tranditional sonar view just not the DI and SI view, correct?

I am not sure what I would do without a resource like this to point me to the right direction.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    thanks Doug- so we would still have the basic/tranditional sonar view just not the DI and SI view, correct?

I am not sure what I would do without a resource like this to point me to the right direction.
    Yep great stuff here!

6. Humminbird helper
    "thanks Doug- so we would still have the basic/tranditional sonar view just not the DI and SI view, correct?"

That is correct.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
    I help because I can

Just about to install my shoot-thru hull ducer and was reading the install tips. Doug: you say it's best to test it first to find a good spot but I'm curious. If I fill my bilge with water to test for the best spot, what exactly am I looking for?
    1997 Stratos 282dc
    2005 Mercury 150 XR6

8. Banned
    Normally they have a spot for installs in the bilge. On most I have done it's right in front of the drain plug.

You are looking for a flat surface (as in smooth, not level most of the time) that is toward the center line of the boat as far back as you can get it. Take a couple of zip-lock bags and put them one inside of the other. Fill the inner one with sand. Put the transducer in its location and the sand bag on top of it. Add a little water to make sure no air is between the transducer and the hull. Test and repeat if needed. If the spot is good the images should look like the transducer is outside the boat at low speed and good signal at high speed.

I ran one this way for months one time! Installed it when I sold the boat. I am lazy ...... LOL

James

Ooohhhhhh. Haha! I don't know what I was thinking but apparently I thought putting water in the bilge meant I didn't have to put the boat in water. Duh. I think I'll use the epoxy though. Thanks!
    1997 Stratos 282dc
    2005 Mercury 150 XR6

10. Member
    I have a 997 and a 958 all with current updates. I want to link them together... What is the difference between the interlink box and just simply using an Ethernet cable with no interlink box...what is the difference. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PBriverRat View Post
    I have a 997 and a 958 all with current updates. I want to link them together... What is the difference between the interlink box and just simply using an Ethernet cable with no interlink box...what is the difference. Thanks

You don't have a choice. Your 997 is NOT Ethernet capable and INTERLINK is you only option.
    INTERLINK will share GPS data between units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Does the interlink come with all necessary cables to link them???

Quote Originally Posted by PBriverRat View Post
    Does the interlink come with all necessary cables to link them???
    Yes, refer to the accessory listing on the Humminbird web site.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    is there a "certain" setting on the 898 sihd to read the depth from your Xp 9 20 while you are up and running or does the unit automatically read the xp 9 20 instead of the side imaging

Quote Originally Posted by pugsley View Post
    is there a "certain" setting on the 898 sihd to read the depth from your Xp 9 20 while you are up and running or does the unit automatically read the xp 9 20 instead of the side imaging
    There is no "setting" and no "automatically".
    When the AS SIDB Y cable is used, that disconnects (no electrical connection) the 83/200 crystal in the Side Imaging transducer and connects (electrical connection) the XP 9 20 transducer in its place. The two transducers function the same as the Side Imaging transducer by itself.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    ok thanks Wayne

17. Member
    Doug,
    I jus bought an 1198c SI. Does the cable collector come with it?

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G Pardi View Post
    Doug,
    I jus bought an 1198c SI. Does the cable collector come with it?
    Yes...

19. Member
    Does anyone know where to find a flush mount template for a 859ci HD DI? I can't find it on the CD, only a transducer template?

You can use the one for the 998c HD SI here:

http://store.humminbird.com/media/do...0_Template.pdf
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast