Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All Sonar Information Resource

We will be posting Information on Humminbird Sonar in this thread as a resource to answers your questions. Check Back as we add information.
    ----

This thread will be for Information on Humminbird Switchfire 2D Sonar, Side Imaging and Down Imaging Information.

These threads will locked to help keep data organized but feel free to start a new thread to discuss any information found here.

VIDEOS:

Understanding the SI View -

Humminbird Side Imaging Settings - How and Why:http://www.youtube.com/user/im...wXTY0

TVG On (Switchfire Clear Mode) and TVG Off (Switchfire Max Mode) Sonar:

Getting Started Scanning with SI -

Drop Shot Video with Humminbird -

Advanced Sonar Seminar
    Part 1: Coverage Areas -
    Part 2: Switchfire 2D Settings -
    Part 3: Down Imaging Settings -
    Part 4: Side Imaging Settings
    Part 5: Side Imaging Features -
    Part 6: How to Find Fish
    Part 7: Trolling Motor Side Imaging
    Part 8: GPS Basics
    Part 9: GPS Advanced

<u>Very Good Reading on Sonar:</u>

Traditional 2D Sonar: http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com....html
    GPS and Cartography: http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com...fault
    Imaging Technology: http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com....html
    Sonar Use and Inerpretation: http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com....html
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 04-02-2022 at 05:13 PM.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Digital Sonar and Variable Bandwidth Technology

Here's some information that was really interesting about Humminbird Sonar Technology...

Digital Sonar - An Explanation

Sonar by its very nature uses an "analog" sound wave that is transmitted into the water by the fishfinder transmitter. These sound waves travel into the water on a carrier frequency such as 200kHz. These sound waves echo off the bottom, fish, and structure creating many varying sonar echoes that return back to the receiver on the analog frequency. This analog signal is then converted to digital within the fishfinder by virtually all marine electronics companies - the differences lie in what point within the sonar system the conversion takes place. Those promoting "digital" sonar convert these analog signals to digital within a sonar receiver itself. Humminbird converts analog signals using the analog to digital capability of the on-board microprocessor. Therefore, Humminbird offers digital technology, however the conversion from analog to digital just occurs differently that what is being promoted by others. It is interesting to note that Humminbird has been converting analog to digital in this manner since 1989.

Infinite Variable Bandwidths

Further benefits of units marketed as "digital" sonar include technology such as adaptive transmitters, and "virtually" infinite variable bandwidths. It is important for the consumer to know that these benefits are not limited to the methodology of the so called "digital" sonar products. If fact these and other techniques are central to Humminbird's Professional Grade Sonar. Humminbird transmitter design offers adaptive technology that modulates power and pulse width based on conditions.

Additionally, our receiver offers variable bandwidth and wide 90db dynamic range to hear both high and low intensity signals simultaneously. Another key benefit touted by marketers of "digital" sonar is the use of filtering algorithms in their design to remove unwanted noise and clutter. The use of filtering techniques produces results counter to the desires of all anglers, since these "intelligent" algorithms actually remove information that is important to the angler - such as detail in structure and fish. This is clearly evident when comparing on-water sonar images from the "digital" products to the same structure when viewed by a Humminbird product.

Guess Humminbird has been Digital...long before Digital was a cool buzz word...And Broad Range of Listening to Sonar Returns.

--

Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Basic Settings

BASIC SETTINGS FOR SIDE IMAGING

UNDERSTANDING READINGS: The shadows are not because of light they are because of the sonar
    sound waves. I like to compare sonar sound waves to a flashlight. If you point the flashlight at your hand
    the back side has not light and creates a shadow. A similar effect happens when a sound waves hits a
    hard object like a standing tree. When the sound wave hits a tree it is reflected back towards the boat.
    The sound wave cannot travel through the tree so in Side Imaging sonar it creates what we term the
    "shadow". In turn the shadow is an area where the sound wave was returned to the transducer and could
    not continue any further in effect the black or shadow areas are void of sonar sound wave coverage
    because they have already been reflected.

SENSITIVITY: The sensitivity is an adjustment of the dark and light colors and the easiest way is to
    adjust until you get a good contrast between bottom hardness. If you adjust to high it will cause more
    bright white areas, to little and the image will be darker. I like to adjust per bottom hardness - mud
    bottoms require a little higher sensitivity and hard bottom reduce the sensitivity to give you good
    separation of the hardness. For beginners the factory default will work for most all applications. The best
    way to adjust is to hit the 4Way cursor which stops the screen from scrolling adjust contrast to your best
    viewing.

CHARTSPEED: Chartspeed the lower the setting the higher the detail but the farther the object will be
    behind the boat. Look at chartspeed the more times I can hit the object with the sonar waves the higher
    the detail. You can see objects on Ultra but the small details are not as easy to distinguish. Play will the
    speed to optimize images depending on the need. I use faster speed in my intial searches then when I
    want to understand more about the structure I find I slow the speed down and make passes from a
    variety of angles to get a clearer picture of exactly how the structure lies in the water.

AREA COVERAGE: The area of coverage will determine how far the SI Transducer shows the bottom.
    Here is a good reference if an object like a rock or brush pile shows up on the screen image a ½” in size at
    50 foot scan, than object when scanning a 100 foot is ¼” in size, at 200 foot coverage is and 1/8” in size,
    and at 400 feet is 1/16th inch in size. The closer you can scan the bigger the detail and the better it will
    show up. But, you can find useful struck in wide scans and mark those object (use 4way cursor to GPS
    exact spot of object) and return with reduced coverage area and view a larger more detailed images of the
    structure. I like the 100’ area of coverage for find detailed objects quickly.

TIPS: The best thing to do when you get a side imaging sonar is to scan know objects or structure like a
    bridge piling, the end of the boat ramp, a rip rap point and see how it is displayed on the unit. It will save
    you valuable time in the long run understanding how the images are displayed and map the transition to
    side imaging sonar easier.

-----------------------------------------

Here are my base settings (V6.740)...I adjust to match the conditions during the day.

SI Sensitivity: 8 to 12 (Lower for hard bottoms, higher for soft bottoms)
    SI Enhance Settings: Off (99% of the time)
    ---Sensitivity: This is the same sensitivity as above
    ---Contrast: adjust contrast 10-14 range depending on bottom conditions to make data easier to see
    Scroll Speed: I run scroll from 3-5 depending on the details I want to get in the screen most of the time it's 4
    SI Transducer Frequency: 455kHz for largest coverage area (90% of time) 800 kHz when looking for more detail (10% of the time)

DI Sensitivity: 10-12 this is seperate of SI or 2D Sensitivity
    DI Enhance Settings: Off
    ---Sensitivity - 2 numbers higher than SI 10 to 14
    ---Contrast: adjust contrast 10-14 range depending on bottom conditions to make data easier to see
    DI Coverage: Wide for more data or Narrow when only looking under boat

Down Imaging uses the SI Frequencies 455 or with HDSi Transducer on 898c, 997c, 998c or 1197c, 1198c offers 800 kHz. I use the 455 kHz.

2D Sonar Frequency:
    Switchfire Mode: Max for Vertical Fishing and Water over 10', Clear Mode when I want to see fish only
    Sensitivity: Varies per conditions and which Mode I'm using
    Transducer Type: 200kHz only
    Last edited by Doug Vahrenberg; 11-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    --

TMike's Basic Setting Information

From TMIKE:

Depth determines the settings in most occasions. Just think of it like this. You usually need more sensitivity in deeper water than shallower.

For Deep water 2D more than 25feet. SwitchFire on MAX, 200/83 sonar and clear up your picture with sensitivity

For Shallow water 2D say less than 25ft. SwitchFire on Clear, 200/83 sonar and clear up your picture with sensitivity. Don't clear it up so much that you have no feedback on the screen to the point that you lose your detail. Bottom line is if your screen is OVERLY RED you need to turn your split fire to clear and if you have no detail turn your split fire to max..

For SI Deep, shallow 455khz, Beam spread is personal preference. If you want a bigger picture of the surroundings put your beam width out farther. If you want more detail bring in your beams width inward and get closer to the object/structure. I like my sharpness on low and leave contrast on default most of the time. All the sharpness and contrast mostly does is make the picture crisper. Same thing as on your TV. More sensitivity for deeper water than shallow water. boat speed idle.

For DI Deep/Shallow, wide beam, 455khz, depth on auto, boat speed idle, Sensitivity varies with depth. Deeper is more sensitivity and shallower is less. I am playing more with DI and have been given some other clues that might help but I haven't tried them yet. So more setting advice could be forthcoming..

These settings work for MOST occasions. Not all but they are "starting points".

The absolute best way to get the best settings is to get a good piece of structure on your screen. When you do use your arrow key in any direction. Just punch it once and your crosshairs cursor will show up and that will freeze the picture from scrolling. Now your use your SI enhance feature and changes the settings. The settings of the picture will change but the picture will not scroll. That way once you get the best settings on a still shot and your settings will work just as well when you start the screen to scrolling again. To start the screen scrolling again hit EXIT. This will work for Side Imaging, Down Imaging and sonar. Don't forget to rotate through all the different color pallets. Some color pallets show better details on some structures than others. My personal favorites are blue and amber 1 for SI and DI. Sonar is personal preference and all show pretty much the same returns regardless of screen color.

----

Having said all of that get a SIDE shot of the structure you are trying to look at. Alot of images I see they aren't getting the best angle. If you take a picture of a person that is facing you. You can see all the facial features of that person. If a person is facing you sideways you don't get alot of detail. Same thing for a tree or a bridge or whatever. It's harder to do with a sonar unit because you can't see the object because it's underwater. That to me is the hardest part of getting a pretty "internet picture" ie getting the right angle. Now ask me while I am fishing do I try to get a pretty picture? Nope. Here is an example of what I am saying using the same exact tree.

These are good angles.

Not so good angle of the same tree..

Last edited by T Mike; 07-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    --

Radio Frequency/Electrical Noise Tips

Understanding Radio Frequency Noise, Electrical Noise and Sonar Cross Talk Article: By Adam Broughton, former Aerospace Engineer and Humminbird Product Manager.

http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com...all=1

-----

From Humminbird Support Website:

What should I do if my trolling motor is causing interference with my unit?

Trolling motor manufacturers are now able to produce a more efficient trolling motor relative to power management. In doing so, the motors sometimes produce electrical interference for the Depth Sounders. This interference can be exhibited in several different ways:

*Random targets/pixels on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.
    *Noise seen on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.
    *The Depth Sounder turns off, when the trolling motor is in use.
    *The Depth Sounder will stop operating, the display seemingly freezing, and will not respond to any button/knob selections, when the trolling motor is in use.
    *Erratic depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.
    *Loss of depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.

Below are some examples of what this interference might look like:

Follow the steps provided below to confirm and reduce this interference:

1. Power the Depth Sounder on in the Start Up mode (normal on the water operational mode) with no other equipment or motors running. Confirm that the interference is being produced by the trolling motor by establishing that the interference only happens when the trolling motor is used. Some trolling motors may only produce interference when used at certain speeds, so test at as many speeds as possible.

2. Once trolling motor interference has been confirmed, you may need to adjust your power connection to the battery as follows:

For boats that have a 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor, confirm that the depth sounder is either powered off of the bottom battery in the trolling motor battery array, or (preferably) off the boat’s cranking battery. The bottom battery is the one that powers the trolling motor when on the 12 volt setting and should be the one that has the main negative lead for the motor that connects from the 24 or 36-volt operation.

3. In those Humminbird products that have a Noise Filter in the Advanced Sonar Menu, confirm that this is turned ON.

4. If you do not have a motor with Universal Sonar 2, you can connect a light gauge wire (18 gauge is acceptable) from the negative post of the trolling motor battery to the negative post of the engine's cranking battery. It is recommended that you install a 1 or 2 amp inline fuse in this ground wire. If the interference is still present, check the routing of the depth finder and trolling motor battery leads. If they run parallel to each other for any length of distance, separate the leads as much as possible or run the leads to the trolling motor and depth finder on opposite sides of the boat. If interference persists, check the mounting location of the transducer. If it is mounted externall on the motor's lower unit, try temporarily moving it away from the lower unit while operating the motor. If the interference is reduced or eliminated during this exercise, you should try to reduce the RF interference by taking a ground wire and connecting it to the trolling motor lower unit. Grounding the motor case creates a sheild between the motor brushes and the transducer, trapping or shunting the RFI to the ground.

To ground the motor case externally, drill a small diameter (1/8") hole in the motor skeg. Attach one end of the ground wire at this point by using a self tapping stainless still screw and run 18 gauge wire up the motor shaft along with the transducer cable. Connect the other end of the ground wire to the motor's negative battery lead or post.

The motor can be grounded internally but this requires that the motor be disassembled, resealed and reassembled and it is recommended that this only be done by a the motor manufacturers authorized service center.

If you have a trolling motor that has Universal Sonar 2 you need to insure that the fuse in the head of your motor has not blown. A visual inspection will not suffice, you will need to check for continuity with a volt meter. If you do not know where the fuse is located in your trolling motor, you should be able to locate it in the exploded diagram of your trolling motor manual. This fuse is a 3-amp, mini automotive. If the fuse is blown, you should either contact MinnKota Customer Service or one of their many Authorized Service Centers across the US and Canada. Also make sure that the connections on the Universal Sonar Cable are properly tightened. If these connectors are not completely screwed in, noise can enter the unit from these openings.

Fuse location inside Motor Head:

US2 Cable inside motor head:

External US2 Cable the hooks up your unit adapter:

If you have a side imaging or down imaging product and the above suggestions do not reduce the interference; contact our Customer Service Department with the below information:

1. If you have a unit with a card reader and image capture capabilities, it would be helpful to email us a Screen Snapshot showing what the fishfinder display looks like with the trolling motor running and while it is in the off position.

2. Be in a position to tell the representative if the interference you are experiencing is occurring on down looking sonar or side imaging sonar (if your model is a side imaging unit) or on both types of sonar.

3. Be able to provide us with the complete fishfinder-related setup on the boat such as:

* What is the serial number of your Humminbird unit?
    * Which Fishfinder models are installed on the boat?
    * Where are the transducers located for each unit?
    * What trolling motor Brand and model is on the boat?
    * If you have two GPS capable Humminbird fishfinders on the boat are you using either an Interlink or Systemlink to network GPS receivers on the boat, etc?

Customer Service

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics
    Attn: Service Department
    678 Humminbird Lane
    Eufaula, AL 36027

Toll Free: 1-800-633-1468

service@humminbird.com

Here is a brief video on this topic.

---
    Tips by Doug

1) Never, Never Run the Transducer wire down the steering cables. This is the easiest way to induce RF Noise in the Sonar System. Here is how I run down the bracket on my Fortrex

2) Keep Sonar Wires Away from Trolling Motor Power Cables.

3) Do not Coil Excess Wires in a circle - figure 8 them.

4) Check the Fuse on the Ground Wire to make sure it is not blown.

5) If these do not help call HB Customer Service for a noise reduction powercable if your unit did not come with one

6) May need to added ferite chokes on Transducer Cable to kill noise.

7) Humminbird offers a Power Choke that installs in the power cable of the trolling motor as near the foot pedal as possible to kill the RF Noise generated from Pulse Modulation Controls in Trolling Motor. http://store.humminbird.com/products/323062/TMC_1

If you continue to have concerns contact the Graph Manufacturer and work with them to control RF Noise getting in your sonar system. Humminbird Customer Service 800-633-1468

-----

--

SI and DI Sensitivity

Here is example how adjusting the Sensitivity settings to the conditions will improve displaying the data so you can see it easier. There is no one setting for all situations but understanding how to adjust and when will make it easier. Balance between hard and soft returns is the key. Too strong and use lose details, too low and you lose details. Soft bottoms typically require a little more sensitivity and hard bottom require less to get good balance.

From Low to High in steps of 4...

8 to 12 is may favorite starting point for most situation as you can see above are really starting to balance. 10 is Factory Defaults like this image below.

Down Imaging usually requires a little more sensitivity about 1 or 2 notches up from SI. Here are a couple examples of to low and too high settings and one I feel is balanced correctly

Too Low...

Too Hot...

Just Right...see the details in bottom and structure and fish better???

--

Understandind Side Imaging Frequency and Coverage Areas

First you need to understand Frequencies and Cover Areas. 455kHz gives total water column coverage with Humminbird Side Imaging and 800kz is more downward focused and you lose the upper water column coverage to the sides. Why would you not want to see everything???? I'll give up a little detail from the frequency difference so I can get total water column coverage. Isn't this the reason you invest in the technology to see more and everything??? But some may want to look at the structure in more downward focus or looking for more details within the details. That is why Humminbird Offers 2 Frequencies with SI and the coverage differences to give you the choice.

With Humminbird 455kHz coverage is user selected for the amount area covered. With 800kHz since the beam is more downward focused you'll only get about 3 Times the Depth Coverage.

This image that shows Water Coverage of the two frequencies should help you understand more. I colored the SI Coverage: Light Yellow on the 455KHzz on the left and Pink on the 800 kHz. Does this help???

Now for some comparisons...

800kHz of a Rock Quarry (I flipped the image so the details would be the same since I turned around and recaptured the exact same area}

455kHz of a Rock Quarry

So if you are comparing images you need to compare apples-to-apples - same frequency and coverage.

--

Switchfire Sensitivity Comparison Images

Ok. You got me thinking and I got the sonar recording out and made Sensitivity Changes and Switchfire Changes to show the exact same image in both Max Mode and Clear Mode with Full Range (Well increasing by 2) of both Sonar Processing Systems.
    Hope it Helps to Learn the Functionality and Flexibility and choices Humminbird offers.

Humminbird Switchfire MAX Mode

Humminbird Switchfire CLEAR Mode

The amount of sensitivity will change for the conditions you are fishing but this shows that fine tuning will produce more desirable data for you to make decisions that can impact your fish catching.

--

9. Moderator

How to utilize sensitivity....

One of the things I see a lot on peoples screen shots and also while training people is how and when to adjust the sensitivity of their unit so that they can utilize the unit to it's full capacity.

If you have read the basic settings sticky you notice I say deeper water you need more sensitivity and shallow water less sensitivity for your unit. I am going to build upon that.

Sensitivity to me means to tell the unit to "look harder" "increase output" "increase power". You can over do it and you can not do it enough. If you use too much sensitivity in shallow water your screen will be cluttered with junk. If you don't use enough sensitivity you will miss intricate details. If your spoon fishing and you need to see something as small as 1/4 oz you need to crank it up to pick up something small like a spoon.

Doug made an outstanding post illustrating the effects of sensitivity using sonar. So I am not going to reinvent the wheel here but it's worth reading again.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=557919

I'm going to list the images Doug took here to explain. I ALWAYS like a little bit of clutter in my sonar images. This insures that I am getting every bit of detail that I can possibly get out of my unit.

Humminbird Switchfire MAX Mode

To me the optimum sensitivity setting for the Split fire MAX is sensitivity 10 or 12 if you look at Dougs images above. If your sensitivity is on 8 your losing some arches and some appear faint in his images if your on 14 you've got more clutter than you need. Maybe 11 would be just right but honestly at 10 or 12 you got the full capacity of your unit at that particular depth. If your arches aren't complete like in the images with sensitivity set at 8 or lower, chances are you need to increase your sensitivity to get them to hook better, either that or your fish is on the side of the beam.

My advice to you in setting your sensitivity is when you are out on the water. Turn your sensitivity all the way up.. Then crank it down until the screen clutter looks like the images above with sensitivity settings at 10 or 12.. This goes for BOTH split fire max and clear. I set my unit by screen clutter 90% of the time. I want "SOME" screen clutter on my screen so I know I am getting max capability.

For Deep spoon fishing you might need to go 14 plus. The image below shows exactly how sensitivity affects your ability to see your spoon. Notice how the spoon is a little faint at 220ft and much better at 150 at 14 sensitivity.. It's sufficient but it could be improved upon. I could crank my sensitivity up to about 18 and prolly be in great shape in this image but notice I have ZERO screen clutter. That to me is a sign that your unit could see more than what it's showing. This proves my point that deeper shots require more sensitivity to be able to see things more clearly since the spoon is somewhat faint at 220ft but much better at 150ish.

Here is a prime example of using sensitivity on SI. Take note of the depth (2.2ft). then take note of the Beam width (202ft, 404 feet total coverage) To put things in perspective I'm covering beyond an entire football field here easily. Then take note of the Sensitivity (maxed out at 20). To be able to see 200ft plus to the side of the boat in very shallow water notice how I am able to MAX OUT sensitivity and still get a good picture and not be blown out (overly white). Kinda like high beams while driving your car out in the desert. You want to be able to see as far out as you can so high beams aka max sensitivity is what you want in this situation which for a lot of people would be a rare situation but I did this to prove a point.

Same goes for DI. IF your shooting very deep water 150ft plus. You need to crank your sensitivity up so that it has the correct amount of power to be able to pick out intricate details that may be able help you. Do keep in mind that these high sensitivity settings are great for deep water but would be OVERKILL for shallow.

Do remember that split fire max is reccomended for water &gt; 20ft.
    Split Fire clear is reccomended for water &lt;20ft

People ask whats the purpose of Split Fire? Well if you were with Bird or any graph company from the old days there was almost a one setting does all. Now the settings are in the hands of the user. Deeper water requires more power for the unit to see deeper. Shallower water doesn't need as much power so they are able to adjust the units to benefit both types of anglers (deep and shallow) versus one setting for all and only partially pleasing everyone. Split Fire is like a transmission in a car it changes you from one gear to another (shallow water gear and deep water gear) and then you just fine tune it with sensitivity settings as described above.

So it does take some more upfront knowledge to tune your unit BUT if you understand what each setting does and how the unit works, how the beams are laid out you will better understand why things work the way that they do and make tuning a breeze then all you have to worry about is finding the fish. TO me split fire has been the best thing to happen to Humminbird since Side Imaging.

Mike

Atlanta, GA Bass Fishing Guide/Swimbait Mfg
    http://www.BullShad.com

SI Enhance: Sharpness

Humminbird has an Exclusive feature that is called SI Enhance that helps you locate and spot fish easier. Here are a two series of images that show the differences at all 4 levels and how SI Enhance can help the "Fish" jump out at you.

Find the Fish in the Creek?

Scattered Fish...

Motherlode of Fish:
    SI Enhance OFF:

SI Enhance Low:

--

Effects of Chart Speed Adjustment

Here are some examples of the effects of not adjusting the Chart Speed to match the boat speed and how it can distort the data.

Chart Speed matching Boat Speed...see the details?

Now the Chart Speed increased and loss of resolution and stretching of data...

Same thing happens with Down Imaging...

Too Fast...

Still a little fast...

Just Right...

Now Switchfire 2D Sonar...

Matched to boat Speed...

Too Fast... (elongates returns)

Adjusting your Chart Speed will help you get your images just like the images are naturally positioned under the water. To fast will stretch the images and too slow will shrink the data. Using the Chart Speed function is probably the Most Important element in creating picture perfect images. I try to match or drop a 1 number below chart speed for higher resolution images if you want to stretch them a little to see more separation of details adjust 1 or 2 numbers above boat speed but don't crank it up it will make the images lose alot of the resolution to the images
    --

2D Sonar Colar Pallets

Original Color Pallete

Pallette 1

Pallete 2

Pallete 3

Gray

Inverse

Green

Then you can add the White Line to help see the bottom hugging returns better:

--

Here's an example of the Different Coverage Areas of the Different Sonars from Humminbird Unit.

--

Side Imaging on the Trolling Motor...yes it works!

--

Put together another Tips 'N Tricks Video on Humminbird Switchfire 2D Sonar to help you learn the differences between the two sonar processing systems and all the other features built into these units. Hope it helps!

--

16. Member
    Doug do you have a basic set up chart for all the setting on a 798c? thanks

--

Here's a new video on Super Tuning SI

--

19. Member
    Hey Doug I have a quick question.

I have a 1199 with the transducer off the jack plate. I don't have a hull transducer for this unit just the SI transducer off the jack plate. My problem/question is I get great images with side and down imagining but the sonar is terrible. I've adjusted everything under the sun but when I have the engine on you can't make anything out. I know I should have a picture but I don't. I have a 858 in the dash with a hull transducer and the unit is crystal clear.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sould like you are getting electrical noise from the Outboard. Some motors require resistor type spark plugs can cause Electrical Noise. Contact HB Customer Service they can help address your concern.
    --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast