Banned

Determine location of fish in relation to boat-Side Image view

Okay, may seem like a silly question, but this confuses me a bit.

Assuming I identify what I think are fish on my finder using Side Imaging. What's the best way to visualize where they are in relation to my boat? Distance, depth and direction?

Thanks for the help.

Do a Google search for "side imaging slant range" and you will get a number of hits .... keep reading them til it makes sense.

The number 1 thing to understand is that the unit only knows how far an object is from the transducer ..... that could be directly to one side of the transducer or at an angle if it is fish. If it is an object on the bottom it can be calculated (assuming the water depth is constant from the boat to the object.)
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Banned
    Thanks Bob, I'll look at those. However, it's fair to say that anything seen on the image is behind the boat by the time it appears on the image, correct? With that, how do I estimate how far the fish is behind my boat based upon where it is in the image?
    Last edited by rob0225; 01-29-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Yes......only the data at the very top of the screen is current ...... everything else is history.

If you move the cursor to the object it will give you an estimated distance.

5. Banned
    So for this image. How far away is the item it from the back of the boat? Also, the height of the image from top to bottom is what in feet?

Thanks, again!

Attached Images Attached Images

There are too many factors to determine it by looking at the image ..... boat speed, chart speed, etc all play together......When you are fishing live, moving the cursor is your best bet .... or mark a waypoint on it and come back around. The length of the fish would also very depending on what direction it is traveling relative to the boat.

If there were a visible shadow, there would be more information to determine how deep the fish is ..... since there isn't a shadow, the fish is either very high in the water column....which would make the shadow off the screen ..... or the fish is very near the bottom .... which would cause the shadow to be in the water column and therefore not be visible.

If you make a recording an view it in humviewer there is a measuring tool to measure the lenght of objects, but as stated earlier, other factors can determine how long a fish appears to be in Si.

Quote Originally Posted by rob0225 View Post
    So for this image. How far away is the item it from the back of the boat? Also, the height of the image from top to bottom is what in feet?

Thanks, again!

If you put the screen curser on the subject, the screen stops scrolling and you get a real time readout of its distance and direction. You can use that to move directly to it--sort of like a waypoint.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member

Rickie

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you put the screen curser on the subject, the screen stops scrolling and you get a real time readout of its distance and direction. You can use that to move directly to it--sort of like a waypoint.
    Precisely so Master Wayne.

This is why I don't bother to debate with the guys that say 360 is all they need and SI isn't useful.

I guess if you don't know how to unlock it's intricacies and make use of the data you can use just as you said - I can see why guys will NEVER unlock the machine's potential and use more than the "20%" Bill Carson has mentioned before about guys using units to their fullest potential.

Many nights when we struggle to get a good catch of walleyes I will use the SI to judge which way the fish are moving up or down the break line and adjust the way we approach them.

Many times this has made the difference between a good trip or a nice boat ride.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/