Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix vs Helix G2N

Wayne , Doug , SFW 1960, can any of you Humminbird guys in the know , explain the differences advantages of the new Helix "mega" G2N 10"-12" units vs the new Solix series , besides the obvious size difference?? I'm in the market for a new console unit to replace a 1199 Si unit , and would like more info before taking the plunge ...

Well the Helix MEGA 12 is a lower price unit than the SOLIX 12. $400 difference MSRP for the same display size.

The SOLIX units are cross-touch screens and have customizable view panels.

Helix units have adjustable view sizes on multi-views.

The SOLIX transducers have separate positive/negative circuits for the sonar elements= larger cable, and the Helix transducers share a common neutral.

The SOLIX series is the new generation ONIX and the Helix is the new generation Helix series that replaced the XX9 series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Plus the SOLIX has map sharing and will share everything across the board with ONIX whereas the HELIX Mega will only share "everything" with the gen2N if I understand correctly. Probably many more pluses with the SOLIX for the more informed user.

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    You forgot to mention James, long time ONIX adopter & all around good guy.

If you're going to fork out for the best, SOLIX would be your baby.

I already have a couple Core units in my network, and a pair of H12 G1's.

I would add G2N's to my mix but not knowing how many units you will be running and IDK if you already have some HB Chirp capability or not.

I currently run Chirp off most of the time, but if I had/have more units that would "see" it - then I would likely stay with the G2N's.

HTH, feel free to ask more questions if you like!

RAS
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    I had 2 1199's on my boat , I just sold one off the dash , and am going to leave the other one on the bow .. and put the NEW unit on the dash …. i am leaning towards the Helix Mega 10" or 12" G2N units …. do the new Helix's link and network to my existing 1199 core unit ?

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    They'll share just fine, but NO MEGA to the older units and you must turn off Chirp for older units to "see" the newer units signals.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    will solix also network just like a helix to the core units? 998,1198
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade
    Dual Power Pole 10' Blade
    Humminbird 1198, 998, 360
    HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N, HELIX 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N

Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    will solix also network just like a helix to the core units? 998,1198
    Sort of, the connection is the same (Ethernet), but the shared data is limited to waypoints just like the ONIX is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    SFW , excuse my electronics ignorance , not sure what you mean by "older units "seeing" the newer units signal"…... by this do you mean that they would both share off of the newer units transducer ? If thats the case I have always had a separate transducer for each unit in the past and only run one at a time …. 1199 on the bow with transducer on trolling motor , and Helix on dash with TD on transom … Never really thought about sharing a transducer…. is that possible ???

10. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yes, if networked.

I network my stuff.

You must disable Chirp for a "core" unit or non-Chirp Helix to be able to utilize the signals from the unit you designate as the "master".

Otherwise only Chirp to Chirp units can share technologies.

I have separate XDCRs on all units except my 999 @ the wheel - it is getting its data from the Helix12SI and it is set to "Sonar Off" due to no XDCR connected to it.

Helix 5 & 7 1st gen don't network, H7G2N models can though.

Helix 9-10-12 can network.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

11. Member
    Maybe I should sell my other 1199 and get an older helix 10 chirp model for the bow so they will communicate better and I wont have to shut chirp off on the new unit .. thanks to everyone for helping answer my questions... just want to be sure and get the best setup that I can to wotk together...

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
    Maybe I should sell my other 1199 and get an older helix 10 chirp model for the bow so they will communicate better and I wont have to shut chirp off on the new unit .. thanks to everyone for helping answer my questions... just want to be sure and get the best setup that I can to wotk together...
    There is NO Helix10 G1 Chirp.

Only the Helix 12's had 2D chirp (only) while the G@n's have DI & SI Chirp available.

Selling the 1199 probably isn't a bad idea if you feel you have to have Chirp.

G'Luck!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

13. Member
    well I don't know if I have to have chirp … not sure what it is yet …. still learning …. trying to make an informative decision on what I want before season starts … thats why all the questions , and you guys have all been very helpful as usual ….. I think I have decided to go with either a Helix 10 G1 KVD or Helix Mega G2N on the bow ($500 difference between the two ) and a Helix Mega 10 or 12" G2N on the dash and just use both transducers , (like my 1199's were ) … I never have both units on at the same time anyway .. I'm either driving or fishing , if that makes good sense ?? .
    correct me if thats a bad idea

my remaining 1199 only has 22 hrs on it …. didn't get to use it much … pretty much right outa the box still … so I don't necessarily have to upgrade my bow unit , just looking at whats best to go with the New Helix unit
    Last edited by blockzilla; 01-24-2017 at 04:12 PM.

14. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Well, you'd take a beating if you sold the 1199...

You could get a single Chirp capable G2N and once you see how target resolution has been improved, you can make a call if you want to get another G2N unit.

I always run all 4 of mine, Chirp off unless I am looking for "pretty" 2D pics.

I would say to sit back, watch the boards for images posted and see if you like what you see.

Spring's a ways off for me, and usually the prices may relax a little between now and then also.

There's a lot of info online about "Chirp" and the 'radar pulse' nomenclature is baloney - Compressed High Intensity Radiated Pulse" is the correct moniker, which means instead of sending a (CW) continuous wave frequency and pinging that at a fixed pulse width and same frequency, Chirp sweeps a range of frequencies and the pulse length and frequency are varied.

This typically results in a higher target separation and less perceivable noise.

It's not a deal breaker, but it does make it easier to discern signals for a more untrained eye than someone like Wayne who knows what he's looking at a great deal of the time he finds a subject to view.

You can look this over for a bit and see some subtle differences in the examples, but I wouldn't take all of it to heart since some guys will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. LOL

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...ut-chirp-sonar
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

15. Member
    I'm looking at adding a helix 12 gen 2, to the bow and console to go with my 2 core units, do you see a need to have 2 SI units?
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade

16. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I'm not the guy to ask, I have 3 of them out of the 5 I own...

At least 2 SI units!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

I'm looking at adding a helix 12 gen 2, to the bow and console to go with my 2 core units, do you see a need to have 2 SI units?
    I "see a need", all my units are Side Imaging models (5). Any more that I may obtain will be SI units also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I "see a need", all my units are Side Imaging models (5). Any more that I may obtain will be SI units also.
    ESPECIALLY since the DI is now a dedicated element too.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

19. Member
    Wayne what would be your reasons for this, just courious
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade

Wayne what would be your reasons for this, just courious
    First of all, I want sonar/imaging data at my location on the boat--not shared from a boat length away.

Second, SI shows the same thing as DI, just more of it=180 degrees. I want to see "over there" at all times, not just what is below.
    360 just shows more SI "over there" and "down there" too but not as clear as SI.

Third, I don't use DI for fishing at all, it doesn't show "over there".

That pretty much means a SI unit everywhere.
    With two SI units beside each other with the same size display sharing a single SI transducer you can have one unit with left side SI and the other unit right side SI and have double the image sizes or use double the range to cover more water faster for SAR. I actually have a mount and power on the passenger side for one unit linked to a console unit to do SAR with an assistant.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast