Type of fish in SI images?

I am pretty new to the SI scene. I have had my 898 installed since August and absolutely love this thing. It has definitely increased my fish catching ability. I find fish all the time and I am trying to get better at identifying them. Since yall have more experience, I thought yall might could help me out. Check out the images below and let me know what you think they are. I know what a couple of them are since i caught fish there and will let you know those after you guess. I was experimenting with some settings in some of these pictures so they are a little grainy.

#7 (Scroll speed might have been slightly fast on this one)

DoubleG

Re: Type of fish in SI images? (DoubleGobble00)

I don't know what kind they are, but you sure don't seem to have a problem finding the schools! Good images!!!

Re: Type of fish in SI images? (Jeff Linville)

I would say crappie or sand bass.

4. Moderator

Re: Type of fish in SI images? (11pounder)

I would say most of those are Hybs.. the one with 12.2 depth might be crappie...

7.7ft depth might be gar. I see long shadows but it's very shallow... I want to say the 9.9 depth is crappie but dang thats some big crappie notice how the fish are fat and short and it really shows when your shallow due to how the beams hit them... 18.0ft looks like gizzards to me. Very thick and very big schools.

It's not easy deciphering fish. Each lake is different and fish react and school differently. Alot you have to derive from the habits of fish. bass simply don't come in massive schools very much. The fact that he's from Brandon, MS means he's prolly fishing ross barnett which has very little spotted bass and mostly largemouth and has a good population of crappie and hybrids. The one thing I have to take into effect is fish show up differently on SI when they are shallow vs deep which I am used to just because the fish are more off to the side than deep in my case.

Good post let us know how we did ;)

Mike

Atlanta, GA Bass Fishing Guide/Swimbait Mfg
    http://www.BullShad.com

5. Member

I would guess they are white bass.
    Gary

1983 RANGER 370-V YAMAHA 150]
    HDS Gen 2 - 10 Bow & Console
    Point 1 Bow
    LGC 4000 Console
    Minn Kota 80 LB Maximum Pro
    With Lift Assit

6. Member

Re: Type of fish in SI images? (stillbear)

My $.02 says crappie

7. Member
    #1 - Depth 12.7' - I caught 2 hybrid stripers while trolling crankbaits right after I saw this screenshot.

#2 - Depth 11.2' and 12.4' - I was longlining this area for crappie. I didn't catch a fish. I think they are either crappie or small catfish but I don't know. They relate real close to that dropoff and are grouped up tight.

#3 - Depth 8.9' and 13.2' - I ran across these one day scouting. I went back and threw several bass baits. I never got a bite but did notice alot of gar rolling in this one area. I think it was gar but could be catfish if they school up like that...

#4 - Depth 9.9' - I am almost positive these are large crappie. The resemble what I see when catching them on drop off pulling cranks.

#5 - Depth 13.4 and 13.2' - I believe these were crappie. I had a buddy go to this area a week later and caught 30-40 small 10 inch crappie about 6 inch off the bottom.

#6 - Depth 14.5 and 7.7 - I really don't know what these are. They are large fish for sure. I just assume catfish because of the size but possilbly gar. They are just off the river channel in the upper lake area of the Rez. I threw for bass there for a while with no luck.

#7 - Depth 18' - Huge school.. I think large bait fish. That is all I could some up with. I really don't know.

#8 - Depth 12.2' feet - I was fishing for stripers when I can across this area. I saw all these fish here for several weeks. I really don't know what they are. Now, I assume they are crappie but really don't know.

So basically, the first pic is stripers.. The rest.. Your guess is as good as mine. All these snapshots came from the Ross Barnett Reservoir in MS.

DoubleG

8. sterling_fishing

nice pic s do you like the amber color better than the blue or any of the rest of the colors
    Patience alway pays off !!!!! Bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work !

9. Member

Re: Type of fish in SI images? (sterling6069)

I usually use the Amber color since i can see it the best when the sun is out. Early in the morning or if it is real cloudy I like the blue. The fish seem to pop out better on the blue than the amber but blue is harder to see when the sun is bright. Those are my two best colors... I really haven't tried the other colors much though.