Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

Re: Now ya talking (Rollo331)

I have used Lowrance for 30 years, not anymore. I have a 1198 and a 788. I had a HDS5 and a 25xc. I wouldnt trade the 1198 for any Lowrance for one reason. SERVICE. A friend of mine sent his bird in on a Thursday and got it back the next Wednesday. 4 working days turn around. Try that with a Lowrance. You will be lucky if you EVER get it back. Hell it will take you 4 days to drain the water out of a Lowrance before you ship it

2. Member

Re: Now ya talking (MrBullet)

I agree. Purchased my First HB (998) this thing is sick! Don't forget to download HumViewer (do a google search) to view your recordings on your PC! I can sit at my PC all day long looking at the bottom of my lake (with popcorn of course)

Any Seminars in the North East region? I'm In Massachusetts and would like to go to one. I have an 898 SI Di and Just the recording and then going to the garage to look at it was a help.
    Earl-tro
    2008 Z6 Nitro
    115Hp Mercury Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling6069 View Post
    ok one ? how would you know weather there is fish there one pic shows none while the others show tons of fish which would you use in a less than 30 ft to find schools of fish i know it depends but what does it depend on and why if im looking for a school of large mouth on a ledge with sensitvity on med its going to showa school on every ledge i go on whats a good starting piont for ledge fishing and good one for small creek fishing in less than 15 ft
    Mike: I found that the Noise Filter setting and the Surface Clutter settings also determine the type of picture you get. So Sensitivity is affected not only by the frequency of the sonar beam but the filter settings too. You will see a lot more when the Surface Clutter Setting is at 10 vs 1. And the Noise suppression set to off will show more fish symbols on the screen than when it's set to high.

I didn't really know how these two setting worked until the other day when I was out playing with them and all the other settings. They do have an affect on the screen display.

I use to keep the Surface Clutter Setting to 1 all the time. It would filter out a lot of the noise and returns from the surface clutter or algae and plankton or air bubbles in the surface waters. I didn't know it would also affect the rest of the sonar returns. Or does it? Can it selectively filter out only those signals that are at the surface. Those are the return signals that are quick to return and don't reach the bottom and return back up to the transducer.

So perhaps this is why some people have different screen displays as they are using differnet Surface Clutter and Noise Supression settings while using the same Sensitivity setting and sonar frequency settings.

PS: when searching for fish in the water column I use the multi frequency setting and use 83 KHz along with 200KHz frequencies at the same time. You will definatlly see more fish in the water column this way. The 83 KHz frequency beam is wider than the 200 KHz Beam.

Regards,

Moose1am

5. Member
    You can't see as much while on the water as the sun's shinning on the screen making it harder to see thing. Take a recording and play it back on your computer at home in a dark room and with a big Computer Screen in high resolution mode and you will see things then that you won't see on the water.

That's why I wish that they had made the screen easier to see in the day light . I see a lot more things on a cloudy day or in the early morning and late evening hours than I do at high noon due to the sunlight.

I even put a shade over my unit's screen and then use an big umbrella over the unit as well. And at times I take off my eyeglass and get as close to the screen as I can to see it better.

Use the contrast settings and the Sharpness setting to see fish better on the screen in SI mode and DI mode. You can also turn off the water column and just see the bottom alone in this area of the menu. This is shown under the menu setting when viewing either SI screen or the DI screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Flattman View Post
    While I am not as acute nor am I as learned as some on here, I am understanding more with each peice of information you guys post. I have been routinely doing as you suggest by simply sitting in my boat after I get home and "peaking and tweaking" my unit for each location. I'm not sure why Doug, but I don't seem to see half as much while I'm on the water as I do in my carport after I return from the lake. I swear it's like being on the lake for me and I'm not trying to fish, drive or think where I'm going next. It has helped me to learn. You are correct that Humminbird allows us an unique tool with the recordings learn in the comfort of our carport !

Ron

Regards,

Moose1am

6. Banned
    Have you thought about trying a sunshade on your unit? The one made by Raptor Cap is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Have you thought about trying a sunshade on your unit? The one made by Raptor Cap is a good one.
    Raptor Cap on a 798ci SI.. Wasn't needed, just a test installation.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Ae these images in 200/83 200 or 83 alone? If it was 200/83 what was the setting for the 83 or does it not make that much of a difference.
    Last edited by Gtojoe; 08-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Fishing a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other end

I run 200kHz most of the time because of the higher level of details and easier to pinpoint where fish are in 2D Sonar. 83kHz increases the coverage and shows more fish but they can also be in a larger area and harder to get back on top of them to catch the,.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

10. Member
    I have a Helix G2N and a 55 lbs Terrova w/ Bluetooth, and I have issues with it that Humminbird/Minn Kota where not able to resolve other than sending me a new board for the T/M, N new Mega transducer (which did not help) for the graph and a bunch of short list checks

Ok so here is a list of issues

1. When in spot lock the power cable wraps around the shaft so tight it pops the shaft out of the shaft lock and doesn't unwind itself as it should. It could be in low wind or high that does not matter either.

2. The depth on graph randomly jumps all over the place, I mean 10', 20' or sometimes 90' jumps. Mostly when I'm in less than 15' and not moving, but that is not always the case. Also the motor is hitting bottom and I'm getting 3' depth on the graph...
    I have found that (sometimes) adjusting the surface clutter up or down corrects it for a time but never for the day or for good. It is a constant adjusting up mostly to stop the jumping and after some time I can adjust down.

3. Sideview is often (though randomly) just a black screen (gin clear rocky water or muddy does not matter) I done everything that Humminbird suggested, spoke to field pros at boat shows and rad everything I came across still I get this black screen on random times. then isf and when to be working normal, Iit misses large to medium size objects... see 4

4. I often hit large rocks that the graph did not p/u....I'm talking 4' to 10' size rocks

5. Maps is just useless even after upgrading the software w/ Lakemaster.

So, Advise... Ideas????

2. Some still have the depth issue even with the current software.

4. Your unit does not "see" forward enough when shallow to avoid hitting rocks in front of you. A 360 would help with that like this:

5. What maps? Does Lakemaster have coverage where you fish?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Another oldie.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    Another oldie.
    Guess it's a good thing people are trying to learn from reading old threads .... problem is many of the issues from back then are not relevant any more.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritsensei View Post
    I have a Helix G2N and a 55 lbs Terrova w/ Bluetooth, and I have issues with it that Humminbird/Minn Kota where not able to resolve other than sending me a new board for the T/M, N new Mega transducer (which did not help) for the graph and a bunch of short list checks

Ok so here is a list of issues

1. When in spot lock the power cable wraps around the shaft so tight it pops the shaft out of the shaft lock and doesn't unwind itself as it should. It could be in low wind or high that does not matter either.

2. The depth on graph randomly jumps all over the place, I mean 10', 20' or sometimes 90' jumps. Mostly when I'm in less than 15' and not moving, but that is not always the case. Also the motor is hitting bottom and I'm getting 3' depth on the graph...
    I have found that (sometimes) adjusting the surface clutter up or down corrects it for a time but never for the day or for good. It is a constant adjusting up mostly to stop the jumping and after some time I can adjust down.

3. Sideview is often (though randomly) just a black screen (gin clear rocky water or muddy does not matter) I done everything that Humminbird suggested, spoke to field pros at boat shows and rad everything I came across still I get this black screen on random times. then isf and when to be working normal, Iit misses large to medium size objects... see 4

4. I often hit large rocks that the graph did not p/u....I'm talking 4' to 10' size rocks

5. Maps is just useless even after upgrading the software w/ Lakemaster.

So, Advise... Ideas????
    Buy a cord saver from cornfield crappie gear. A lil pricey but you wont have to worry about the transducer cable again. Best way to protect your transducer, unit, and trolling motor that i,ve found.
    1989 Stratos 179V
    1989 Evinrude V4 140hp
    Solix 10 G2 SI @ Console
    Helix 7 @ Console
    Solix 12 G1 @ Bow

15. Member
    This post below also has some great information on unit tuning. I would reccommend everyone read it and gain from it as everything is there that you need to know :)

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=486483

Mike[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great thread but link broken, could someone point me to the thread or suggest another one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12