Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms

Would like to hear opinions on the mechanisms offered by MG and MK - I fish in very shallow marsh in SE Louisiana and often need to temporarily lift the motor up somewhat but continue to run it to get out of tight spots; this is hell on my back. After two back surgeries I'm looking for an assisted/automatic system that will trim the motor up and down for me. Could you tell me if the available system allow this (as opposed to being either fully stowed or fully deployed) and what you think the advantages/disadvantages of the MG and MK versions are? I currently run a 74lb Maxxum on my Ranger 521 and it has been great.

2. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (nola 521dvx)

A piece of 2x4 in the scissor part of the mount of the motor you currently have is what I would go with.

Motorguide doesn't make the power gator any more, and the maxium/fortrex only assists the lifting.

3. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (1ManShow)

OK - by lifting do you mean it will only go from deployed to stow and not stop anywhere in between? The 2x4 won't help my back - I still have to lift the thing and then bend to get the wood in there LOL

I put a longer rope on my tm. I can set my butt against the butt seat and use my arm to hold motor up ... While working foot control !
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

5. Member

As of now, there is nothing on the market made by MinnKota or Motorguide that automatically stows and deploys the trolling motor. years ago Motorguide had the Powergator that would stow and deploy, but would not trim. MinnKota had the Genesis, an electric steer that would auto stow and deploy and would also trim at the touch of a button. That trolling motor has been discontinued and for the most part, there is no parts available for it.

The lift assist on the MinnKota uses a cylinder/strut to compress and expand, taking some of the strain of stowing and deploying. The 4" motor on the 74, 80, and 101 are heavy some this relieves some of the weight. You would still have to lift the motor up for shallow operation, but it would not feel as "heavy" on the end. The lift assist can be added to your Maxxum mount without you having to buy a new mount or trolling motor. Call me if I can help.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (Jonestrollingmotor)

I have a Motorguide Power Gator mount that I bought and fixed it to a newer mount (21 series gator mount). Works fine and yes it will trim the motor up. The main issue it that it will snap your finger off in an instant it you happen to touch the switch.

Find an old Power Gator, do a little fab work and go at it. That is about the only option

7. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (Jonestrollingmotor)

Thanks - that might be the way to go. I'll give you a call when I have the serial number etc of the motor/mount, I think that retrofitting is a good and economic alternative.

I'm surprised there aren't more automatic options, kind of figured thta this would become standard some time after the introduction of the Genesis/Powergator.

Edit - just realized you're in Texarkana. Vivid memories of my family staying in a motel there in immediate aftermath of Katrina. We met some very kind and generous people there, and some absolutely vicious fire ants at a local lake/park!

8. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (STRETCH1)

Thanks - not having a Motorguide makes that less appealing but I will keep it in mind.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by nola 521dvx &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Thanks - not having a Motorguide makes that less appealing but I will keep it in mind. </td></tr></table> I have an 82 lb, 36 volt motor guide with the power gator on it if you are interested. I took it off my last boat & replaced it with new mk, but it works fine. Let me know if you want it & I will see how much it would cost to ship to La.

10. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (my492vs)

Thanks - let me think about that and also see whether I could squeeze in a third battery. Apprciate the offer.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by my492vs &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> I have an 82 lb, 36 volt motor guide with the power gator on it if you are interested. I took it off my last boat & replaced it with new mk, but it works fine. Let me know if you want it & I will see how much it would cost to ship to La.</td></tr></table>

Is the lift assist a 36v or the 24v? I may be interested in the lift if you do not sell it .

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (TBirck)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by TBirck &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Is the lift assist a 36v or the 24v? I may be interested in the lift if you do not sell it .</td></tr></table>
    The power gator runs on 24 volts, the trolling motor itself is 36 volts.

I have a PowerGator mount on my boat now. It would be hard to go back to deploying and lifting the motor. Would like to have a spare. It would be noce if someone started making these again.

14. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (TBirck)

I think the issue is liability. Those things will snap your finger off in an instant and I do not think they have a way to prevent that. Mainly when the boat is on the trailer or you are loading the boat. Also I think the need to devise an easy way to release the gear so you can manually stow and deploy it if wanted...

I thought about getting a power pole pump and a hydraulic cylinder and making one. It would be less complicated and no need for a specialized motor setup.

I retrofitted my one Gator mount motor to a new mount and works just fine.

15. Member

Re: Assisted/automatic stow and deploy mechanisms (STRETCH1)

STRETCH1................
    Can you post some pictures?Greatness!!!

16. Member
    I have a basic gator mount that I'm currently working on modifying to do the same as a power gator mount using a wiper motor. If I can make it happen which I believe so, I'll be more than happy to share pics. And if all works out my next goal will be to wire up for remote control.

17. Member
    I had a similar desire but opted to go with the new Minn Kota Ulterra 80# thrust tm. It auto deploys and stows as well as has power trim to adjust the depth of the tm. It can be controlled from any location in the boat via the wireless remote or operated with a low profile foot pedal. It is expensive but I figure at my age if I can add something to my boat that will allow me to safely keep fishing I should do it.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step