Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout

There has been discussion in the past about the "light codes" on MinnKota battery chargers. Hope this helps.

MK110, MK210, MK315, MK220, and MK330
    A GREEN power light is lit to indicate AC power is applied.
    A YELLOW light is lit for each bank to indicate the battery is charging.
    A GREEN light is lit for each bank to indicate the battery is fully charged and in maintenance mode.
    A RED light for each bank is lit if any of the following apply:
    A) No battery is connected to an output lead. This may also indicate a blown fuse in the fuse holder.
    B) The battery voltage is below 8.0 volts.
    C) The battery is connected reverse polarity.
    RED and GREEN lights are lit simultaneously for each bank if any of the following apply:
    A) The battery voltage is below 8.0 volts.
    B) A damaged temperature sensor on the output lead. The bank will not operate if this occurs.
    MK230, MK345, MK460, MK440
    A GREEN power light is lit to indicate AC power is applied.
    A YELLOW light is lit for each bank to indicate the battery is charging.
    A GREEN light is lit for each bank to indicate the battery is fully charged and in maintenance mode.
    A RED light for each bank is lit if any of the following apply:
    A) No battery is connected to an output lead. This may also indicate a blown fuse in the fuse holder.
    B) The battery is connected reverse polarity.
    RED and GREEN lights are lit simultaneously for each bank if any of the following apply:
    A) A short circuit.
    B) The battery voltage is below 8.0 volts.
    C) A damaged temperature sensor on the output lead. The bank will stay in maintenance mode if this
    occurs.
    MK "D" Chargers
    On the "D" chargers:
    Plugging in all lights come on monetarily while "reading" the batteries
    Yellow: Bulk charge mode til battery reaches 75% of charge
    Flashing Yellow: Absorption Mode, charging current tapers holding battery to 14.4V apx
    Flashing Green : Maintenance mode, voltage goes to 13.4V
    Green: Charger turns itself off after 24hrs and monitors battery
    When battery voltage drops below 12.6V, charger will turn back on
    Last edited by Jonestrollingmotor; 10-09-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Member
    If you switched batteries, and still happened on the second bank, it may have a temp sensor in the leads damaged or going bad. How old is the charger?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you switched batteries, and still happened on the second bank, it may have a temp sensor in the leads damaged or going bad. How old is the charger?
    2 yrs but I thought damaged temp sensor showed red and green only? This keeps all lit up........ Intermittently! Have you ever seen that?

4. Member
    On the "D" chargers:
    Plugging in all lights come on monetarily while "reading" the batteries
    Yellow: Bulk charge mode til battery reaches 75% of charge
    Flashing Yellow: Absorption Mode, charging current tapers holding battery to 14.4V apx
    Flashing Green : Maintenance mode, voltage goes to 13.4V
    Green: Charger turns itself off after 24hrs and monitors battery
    When battery voltage drops below 12.6V, charger will turn back on

Sounds like with all lights staying on, bank isn't reading the battery initially for some reason. The charger is warrantied for 3yrs. I would call MinnKota and explain. I'm guessing they will send you a RA and and new charger.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Having a strange problem with my 3 bank minn Kota charger...

When one of the banks is plugged in it just goes to green, it skips the charging light completely. I just fished a tournament today and my batteries obviously need charging... So I switched the banks out on two of my batteries and it's the charger, not the batteries. Any clue on why the bank would say the battery is charged when it isn't? Would it be in the yellow fuse holders possibly?

6. Member
    Sounds like it may be a charger issue. How old is the charger?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Banned
    I bought the unit 6/18/2012. I talked to Minnkota this afternoon and they are sending me a new one and when it gets here I will return the old one and hopefully that will take of that.

8. Member
    I am on my second MK330D charger in my Skeeter. The first unit started showing a flashing red and green light on bank 2. Switched the leads on battery one and two and problem remained with bank two. Contacted Minn Kota and they sent me another charger. Had the battery checked and it checked good. I have three Optima Blue Top batteries which are about 1 1/2 years old.

New changer which is abut three months old is doing the exact same thing. Bank two shows red and green flashing lights and when the leads are switched, the problem remains with bank two.

Any ideas, it appears a lot of people are having issue with these particular chargers. I keep my charger plugged in at all times...could this be causing a problem as well?

Thanks in advance!

9. Member
    I just bought my first Minnkota 330d charger. I have a 2006 Triton TR 21X and will be mounting next to the cranking battery. What is the biggest size screw I can use to mount the charger with?

10. Member
    Usually a charger won't fry a battery, but this sounds suspicious. I would monitor the charge voltage with a voltmeter on that bank til you get the issue resolved.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    You guys scaring me now? I just got the 460 PC and all my batteries are god before (4monts old ) now yesterday I install the charger and the 3# is come out red and green same time... Now what after you guys tell me all of this."

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenarrow View Post
    You guys scaring me now? I just got the 460 PC and all my batteries are god before (4monts old ) now yesterday I install the charger and the 3# is come out red and green same time... Now what after you guys tell me all of this."
    Little research shows that condition exists for

Flashing RED and GREEN lights are lit for each bank if any of the following apply:
    • a) The battery voltage does not rise above 10.5V after 3 hours - the battery may be damaged and will not be charged
    • b) Charging in Bulk Mode exceeds 20 hours - the battery may be damaged and will not be charged

Is there a problem if a couple of green lights are not as bright as the others?
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

14. Member
    Hello all I have a mk 315 wasn't charging #2 battery pulled off leads it sparked. The red light was on showing check connection. Switched #3 to 2 which showed full charge same thing Check Connection. Tried Putting #2 lead to #3 battery sparked on It too.. Now charging with a regular battery charger. Is My charger bad on #2 or is it fixable?

15. Member
    If you had the charger plugged in, it will spark when touch to the post. when you put the #3 on bat2, am I reading correct that it showed check connection also. If so, sounds like a bad battery.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    May as well jump on the band wagon about Minn Kota 3 Bank on board chargers. Have a 2011 Skeeter ZX200 and it came with the 3 bank charger. I leave the charger plugged in all the time (is this good or bad?) anyway, #2 trolling motor battery shows not charging. I take battery and exchange for a new one and put it on yesterday. The yellow light for bank #2 was still on showing charging, unsure if it went off yet until this afternoon. Could I have a problem with the on board charging system? And does it hurt to leave plugged in all the time or unplug it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated without looking at the other 60 plus posts.

Thanks,

17. Member
    Disregard, never heard from Jones and it is taken care of.

18. Member
    Just saw this as a new post. I don't look under "pinned" post for "problems" to answer. The pinned post are for information, the forum below is where to post to get answers. Anyway, it depends on the charger as to what the light readout means. I would have suggested swapping the bat 2 lead (problem bank) with the battery 1 lead and see if the problem stayed with battery 2 bank, or moved to the battery 1 bank. Generally, a yellow light will mean the battery is in a certain charge mode. If the battery is down, it will not get out of that mode since it's not accepting the charge.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Member
    OK, I'm confused. The charger is a sealed unit so I don't understand how you can hear a "sizzling" coming from the charger, much less define it to bank 3 area. If you're talking about the battery that bank 3 is connected to, then disconnect that bank from that battery and swap with bank 2 battery and leads. Monitor and see if the bank 3 leads on battery 2 are making the same noise, or did the noise move to bank 2 and the same battery as it was before.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

20. Member
    Another MK460PC battery charger bites the dust. Mine is just outside the 3 year window and they are not serviceable . Very frustrating to have a unit they will not service especially when it's still in production!

I guess I'm going with a NOCO 4 bank?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast