Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tug2106 View Post
    I have a minnkota 4 bank charger in my 2011 skeeter fx20. is it possible for the charger to short circuit a battery or fry it? on the # 3 bank I have had to replace the battery 3 times in 3 weeks. plug boat in and other batteries charge fine. bank #3 battery will show charging light for a while then go red. took batteries to get tested and all 3 were shot. have tried optimas and duracells and got same results. any ideas?
    I had a 460D that had a bank go bad and it was over cooking the battery on that bank (boiling). MK warrantied the charger and let me pay the difference to get the 460PC, which is a much better charger IMO.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Member
    You guys scaring me now? I just got the 460 PC and all my batteries are god before (4monts old ) now yesterday I install the charger and the 3# is come out red and green same time... Now what after you guys tell me all of this."

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenarrow View Post
    You guys scaring me now? I just got the 460 PC and all my batteries are god before (4monts old ) now yesterday I install the charger and the 3# is come out red and green same time... Now what after you guys tell me all of this."
    Little research shows that condition exists for

Flashing RED and GREEN lights are lit for each bank if any of the following apply:
    • a) The battery voltage does not rise above 10.5V after 3 hours - the battery may be damaged and will not be charged
    • b) Charging in Bulk Mode exceeds 20 hours - the battery may be damaged and will not be charged

How do I change the temperature sensor in my mk 345 pc?

Is there a problem if a couple of green lights are not as bright as the others?
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

6. Member
    Hello all I have a mk 315 wasn't charging #2 battery pulled off leads it sparked. The red light was on showing check connection. Switched #3 to 2 which showed full charge same thing Check Connection. Tried Putting #2 lead to #3 battery sparked on It too.. Now charging with a regular battery charger. Is My charger bad on #2 or is it fixable?

7. Member
    If you had the charger plugged in, it will spark when touch to the post. when you put the #3 on bat2, am I reading correct that it showed check connection also. If so, sounds like a bad battery.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    May as well jump on the band wagon about Minn Kota 3 Bank on board chargers. Have a 2011 Skeeter ZX200 and it came with the 3 bank charger. I leave the charger plugged in all the time (is this good or bad?) anyway, #2 trolling motor battery shows not charging. I take battery and exchange for a new one and put it on yesterday. The yellow light for bank #2 was still on showing charging, unsure if it went off yet until this afternoon. Could I have a problem with the on board charging system? And does it hurt to leave plugged in all the time or unplug it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated without looking at the other 60 plus posts.

Thanks,

9. Member
    Disregard, never heard from Jones and it is taken care of.

10. Member
    Just saw this as a new post. I don't look under "pinned" post for "problems" to answer. The pinned post are for information, the forum below is where to post to get answers. Anyway, it depends on the charger as to what the light readout means. I would have suggested swapping the bat 2 lead (problem bank) with the battery 1 lead and see if the problem stayed with battery 2 bank, or moved to the battery 1 bank. Generally, a yellow light will mean the battery is in a certain charge mode. If the battery is down, it will not get out of that mode since it's not accepting the charge.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    My MK330 is starting out fine but after a few hours light goes to red and green flashing on bank 2. The problem always stays on bank 2 regardless of battery. A volt meter is only showing 10.4 volts while charging on all three banks. Any suggestions?

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Powell View Post
    My MK330 is starting out fine but after a few hours light goes to red and green flashing on bank 2. The problem always stays on bank 2 regardless of battery. A volt meter is only showing 10.4 volts while charging on all three banks. Any suggestions?

The flashing red and green indicates it's taking too long to charge. Unplug and try again. The charger will only run for 3 hours if he batteries don't get above 10.5V. But 10.4V is extremely low to the point your batteries are probably junk.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Need advice on my Minn Kota 330D charger. Its just about a year old now. Bank 1 was attached to my cranking battery (not sure how old the battery was because I bought the boat used, its a 2010 so Im assuming the battery was same age) and the charger would not come out of the bulk stage (solid yellow) even after 12 hours but battery read 100% 13.2 up to 13.6 volts (unplugged). This cranking battery was replaced with a new cranking battery because the battery would would die after 1/2 day fishing. New Cranking battery was purchased and now Bank 1 will reach the absorption phase (blinking yellow) but will not reach the blinking green. Battery reads 100% 13.2 up to to 13.4 volts when checked with charger off/unplugged. Also I noticed after leaving it plugged till the other 2 banks flash green and I unplug the charger and plug it back in immediately all 3 banks will flash green. Im afraid its going to over charge and kill the new cranking battery if it stays in the absorption phase. Any suggestions?? Thanks
    Last edited by jamesdambro; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 AM.

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdambro View Post
    Need advice on my Minn Kota 330D charger. Its just about a year old now. Bank 1 was attached to my cranking battery (not sure how old the battery was because I bought the boat used, its a 2010 so Im assuming the battery was same age) and the charger would not come out of the bulk stage (solid yellow) even after 12 hours but battery read 100% 13.2 up to 13.6 volts (unplugged). This cranking battery was replaced with a new cranking battery because the battery would would die after 1/2 day fishing. New Cranking battery was purchased and now Bank 1 will reach the absorption phase (blinking yellow) but will not reach the blinking green. Battery reads 100% 13.2 up to to 13.4 volts when checked with charger off/unplugged. Also I noticed after leaving it plugged till the other 2 banks flash green and I unplug the charger and plug it back in immediately all 3 banks will flash green. Im afraid its going to over charge and kill the new cranking battery if it stays in the absorption phase. Any suggestions?? Thanks
    What specific cranking battery do you have now?

The 13.2 to 13.4V you are reading with the charger off indicates the charger has actually been in the maintenance mode. When you first unplug a charger, the battery voltage will be elevated above the actual charge level. Known as a surface charge, this starts at about the voltage the charger was applying when it shut off. The absorption portion of the charge is when the charger is able to apply its maximum voltage to the battery. If the charge was truly in the absorption portion, the battery would measure about 14.4V with the charger on and for a while after the charger was unplugged.

Note that you can't use battery voltage to approximate state of charge until the battery has been off the charger for 6 hours or so, or a load has been applied to remove the surface charge.

Since your charger is at the 13.4V level, there's no concern about overcharging in the short term. The easiest way to proceed is to move the wires from Bank 1 to one of your TM batteries and vice versa. Plug the charger in and let it run for 24 hours and see what is happening. If the problem moves to the TM battery, you likely have an issue with your charger. If the problem stays with the cranking battery, you either have a battery problem or a constant current draw that is fooling the charger into thinking the battery isn't charged.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    I believe the new one is an Exide Nautilus 1000 amp cranking (the old one was an interstate 800 amp). When the charger is plugged in the volts do read 14.4 I did notice the volts read as high as 13.8 volts at one point immediately after unplugged.
    Thanks I will move Bank 1 to one of the trolling motor batteries and the Bank 2 to the Cranking Battery. What could cause a constant current draw? A bad connection or wire exposed?
    Thanks

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I believe the new one is an Exide Nautilus 1000 amp cranking (the old one was an interstate 800 amp). When the charger is plugged in the volts do read 14.4 I did notice the volts read as high as 13.8 volts at one point immediately after unplugged.
    Thanks I will move Bank 1 to one of the trolling motor batteries and the Bank 2 to the Cranking Battery. What could cause a constant current draw? A bad connection or wire exposed?
    Thanks
    Current draw could be a compartment light or pump stuck on or a problem in the outboard charging system.
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    SO after going out fishing for the day I took your advice CatFan. I moved bank 1 over to one of the trolling motors and attached bank 2 to the cranking battery. After hours of charging Bank 1 worked perfectly normal (turned blinking green)a and Bank 2 now attached to the Cranking battery wouldnt come out of the blinking yellow (absorption phase) . I then unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and all three banks turned blinking green. I guess the charger is fine and Its either the new battery or something causing the current draw.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    SO after going out fishing for the day I took your advice CatFan. I moved bank 1 over to one of the trolling motors and attached bank 2 to the cranking battery. After hours of charging Bank 1 worked perfectly normal (turned blinking green)a and Bank 2 now attached to the Cranking battery wouldnt come out of the blinking yellow (absorption phase) . I then unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and all three banks turned blinking green. I guess the charger is fine and Its either the new battery or something causing the current draw.
    Next thing I would try is to disconnect everything but the charger from the cranking battery before you plug the charger in when you get back from fishing.
    nothing else matters.​

19. Banned
    Serial# P287MK00226 Model# 1833450. I plugged the charger into the house reciprocals and after a few seconds I heard a sizzling noise coming from the bank3 area of the charger. Much like a battery when it runs low of water in a cell when it is on charge. First thing I did was checked to find all cells of all batteries full to just blow fill ports and not bubbling. Also the lights on each bank was at yellow with the bank 3 lights with 2 yellow lights. Any suggestions?

20. Member
    OK, I'm confused. The charger is a sealed unit so I don't understand how you can hear a "sizzling" coming from the charger, much less define it to bank 3 area. If you're talking about the battery that bank 3 is connected to, then disconnect that bank from that battery and swap with bank 2 battery and leads. Monitor and see if the bank 3 leads on battery 2 are making the same noise, or did the noise move to bank 2 and the same battery as it was before.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast