Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (beckleybassfanatic)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by beckleybassfanatic &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">...Both batteries on the trolling motor are new though (deka), .</td></tr></table>

Even though new, check the voltage of the batteries. They have to have at least 8V in them before the charger will read. If voltage is OK, then it is a temperature sensor problem. Minnkota states this part is not serviceable. If the 330 is less than 3yrs old, it is still under warranty.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Member

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (Jonestrollingmotor)

It was bought in July of 2008, but of course I have no receipt...and dont think i filled out the warranty card...Thanks for the advice, I hooked up one of the batteries this morning to a regular battery charger, it was reading low for sure, so I'll see what it does this evening when I get home and hook the MK330 back up to it....thanks guys!

Hey John, I'll possibly be in the market for a 80# fortrex soon...think you'll have any by february?

3. Member

As soon as they're made available, I'll be buying some -- I'm assuming you're talking about the FR motors. I always have the "new" ones available. On you charger, I know it's a hassle, but on the bottome is a serial number. If it was purchased in 08, call MinnKota with the serial number and they can tell you the manufacture date and possibly go off that for warranty purpose.
    Thanks and let me know how I can help.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member

Well I charged both batteries manually but each one seperate...hooked my MK330 back to them, plugged it in and all batteries went to green...so hopefully it was that they were below 8 volts....Yeah Im talking about the Minn Kota Fortrex...I'd like a 80# thrust, 52 inch shaft, no sonar....I bought a refurbished maxxum off you in 2008 and its been a great motor and still is...I'd like to try and get another refurbished one, except it being a Fortrex....if you got one or get one let me know...thanks!!!

5. Member

I'll let you know as soon as I can get one.
    Thanks
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

John thanks for the MK 330D you sold me it works great. Was not hard to install just had to find time, it was last Sat. before I could do it.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

7. Member

I have a Minn Kota 4 bank charger - don't know model - it is at the shop. It is whatever Stratos put in a 2009 201 Evolution. I have been using 4 Interstate liquid batteries. I was thinking of switching the cranking battery to an AGM 31 and had narrowed my selection pretty well when I saw a post somewhere else suggesting that it may take a special type of charger to deal with the AGM's. Will a Minn Kota charger work with these and simultaneously charge the older style batteries for my trolling motor. I would hate to think that I would also need to upgrade all of the batteries to AGM and might need to replace the charger as well. That would get to be pretty expensive.

8. Member

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (pobigred)

The MinnKota will charge the AGMs
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Here's a little video I did on the MinnKota Digital Chargers with new light indications:

--

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Modified by flwillie at 3:46 PM 6/17/2011

11. Banned

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (flwillie)

I may as well tack this post on for some input:
    My 2011 Minn Kota 210 crapped out; plugged it in after fishing all day and it popped a 20 amp breaker in my garage. Not too shabby for a charger that draws only 2.5 amps.
    Anyway, I reset the breaker and tried it again; the garage lights went dim for a nanosecond, but the breaker didn't trip. The charger had two green lights on indicating that the batteries were charged, but they obviously were not. I charged them with my car battery charger.
    Any thoughts? Does it have to go back to Minn Kota even though it's not even a year old?

12. Member

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (Nova Kaw 650)

Did you plug into another outlet, or is all the outlets in the garage fed by the same 20A breaker. In the garage, it should have a GFCI that popped before throwing a breaker. If it is a charger problem, yes, it goes back to MinnKota and they will send you a replacement. The chargers have a 3yr warranty.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Banned

It was the only plug on the circuit, but not a GFI.
    In any event, it doesn't work properly now. I'll call Minn Kota on Monday. Thanks.

14. Member
    Hello, I have a MK 460 4-bank charger. When plugged in - the cranker light will eventually go green, the 3 troller batts stay yellow. After about 6-7 hours - if you unplug the cord and then plug it back in - all the lights go green. It seems more likely to be a charger issue than a battery issue? But not sure. Any advice appreciated.

15. Member

Re: (charlesn)

Sounds like for some reason it's not leaving the float mode. Have you done anything with the leads. Also, take a voltage reading before turning the charger on and after the charger has been on 3 or 4hrs. What type of batteries --not brand but type (gel, lead/acid, AGM). If all are the same age, it is possible that for some reason they are not taking a full charge to turn the charger to green, but when they are charged and the charger is reading the state of charge, it is high enough to give a green light, but still not fully charged.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Banned

Re: MinnKota Battery Chargers/Light readout (Nova Kaw 650)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Nova Kaw 650 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I may as well tack this post on for some input:
    My 2011 Minn Kota 210 crapped out; plugged it in after fishing all day and it popped a 20 amp breaker in my garage. Not too shabby for a charger that draws only 2.5 amps.
    Anyway, I reset the breaker and tried it again; the garage lights went dim for a nanosecond, but the breaker didn't trip. The charger had two green lights on indicating that the batteries were charged, but they obviously were not. I charged them with my car battery charger.
    Any thoughts? Does it have to go back to Minn Kota even though it's not even a year old?</td></tr></table>
    I should post an update: The following day the charger worked normally!
    I called Minn Kota; they had never heard of this issue, but they offered to send me a replacement just in case. I offered to keep it to see how it played out. Since then I've used it another 6-7 times and it worked perfectly. Go figure?

17. Member

Re: (Jonestrollingmotor)

The batteries are group 31 lead/acid (Bass Pro brand) and about 4 months old each. All three were new this spring. The first time this happened was at a motel where the power is maybe a little finicky? But now occurring at home. Gonna be leaving for a week long trip to the divisionals so this is rather inconvenient but what can you do I guess.

I will ask a buddy if he has the tools to take such a measurement to see if the batts are charging or not.

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

18. Member

Re: (charlesn)

"The batteries are group 31 lead/acid (Bass Pro brand) and about 4 months old each. All three were new this spring. The first time this happened was at a motel where the power is maybe a little finicky? But now occurring at home. Gonna be leaving for a week long trip to the divisionals so this is rather inconvenient but what can you do I guess.
    I will ask a buddy if he has the tools to take such a measurement to see if the batts are charging or not.

Thanks very much for the quick reply!"

I'm having a similar issue with my MK330. I bought my boat with the charger new in March of 2009. It came Deka Marine Master batteries....2 of them dedicated for my 80 lb Maxxum TM. They worked fine up until late last summer when the TM was running out of juice. I plug in the charger after each trip and leave it on overnight. I could only get a red light on the charger for one of the batteries. I assumed bad battery and replaced them both. I put in 2 Delco Voyagers group 27 and they have been fine all summer. I noticed last Saturday the TM was weak by the end of the day. Got home plugged in the charger and after 2-3 hours all lights were green. The voyager batteries have the green eye in them and in one battery, the eye was black. The other was fine.

I put a separate charger on the "black eye" battery and ran it for a few hours and the eye eventually went green. Fished yesterday and the TM had plenty of juice. Got home yesterday afternoon and plugged in the charger. After a couple hours all lights were green on the charger. I left in on all night and checked the batteries this morning. The indicators in both batteries were black. Sounds to me like a charger issue but I'm not sure. When the MK330 lights go green is it still trickle charging? How long should you leave the charger plugged in after a trip?

The one delco battery with the black indicator I mentioned after last weekend is on the same charger leads as the Deka battery that failed. I'm thinking because it wasn't getting a full charge. Thoughts?

2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member

Re: (08 198 Champ)

Best way to check is going to be with a voltmeter while the batteries are charging you should see a 14+V reading. After they are charged and turn the charger off, you will see a 13V+ reading, then let them set for 24hrs and take another reading, should be between 12.7 and 13.V. Take a reading at the end of a fishing day and see the discharge voltage, both should be apx the same. The "eye" only tells the condition of that cell and not the entire battery.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

20. Member

Re: (Jonestrollingmotor)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Jonestrollingmotor &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Best way to check is going to be with a voltmeter while the batteries are charging you should see a 14+V reading. After they are charged and turn the charger off, you will see a 13V+ reading, then let them set for 24hrs and take another reading, should be between 12.7 and 13.V. Take a reading at the end of a fishing day and see the discharge voltage, both should be apx the same. The "eye" only tells the condition of that cell and not the entire battery.
    John
    </td></tr></table>

I did some checks tonight. The batteries were off the charger for 12 hours.

Rear Batt - 12.78 (The indicator in the batt was black)
    Front Batt - 12.64 (The indicator was red)

I ran the TM for a while to drain the batteries enough to take a charge and here are the results with the charger in charge mode (yellow light on)

Rear Batt - 14.56
    Front Batt - 14.36

After the charger indicator turned green, I measured the voltage again.

Rear Batt - 13.30
    Front Batt - 13.23

So based on what you said, it looks like the charger is working fine? Do you see anything here that looks out of the ordinary? Even though the eye in the battery isn't green after a charge, that's nothing to worry about? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure before my battery warranty expires. Thanks for the help so far
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast