Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slick (no pun intended) way to lube teleflex cables.

On a different post I told some guys I'd show them how I lube my steering cables. they liked the idea and suggested I post it on clever tips. So, here it is.
    This is a cheap way to save some money.

I told the guys I'd post some pictures when I did it. Below is the method.

OK, got it done today. I was able to raise my motor and get both steering cable out so i could hook up my contraption. I have two steering cables 16 feet long.

[IMG][/IMG]

After that I raised one cable up into the air and hooked up the "Gravity Assisted Air Pressure Lubrication System...GAAPLS" that will be my patent name for it.

[IMG][/IMG]

But before I poured the lube in I placed plastic and rags under the steering wheel to catch any lube that flows all the way to the front.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I hooked up the "GAAPLS"

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

A couple hose clamps hold the unit in place and keep pressure on the lube.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then I fill the hose with lubricant.

[IMG][/IMG]

Put the air chuck back on tight, raise it up in the air, start slowly increasing the air pressure until I feel the lube has completely traveled up the steering cable.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then I repeated for the next cable. It took about 2 hours, I used about 50psi on my compressor. make sure you have the carpet under the steering wheel protected because the lube won't take long to get all the way up there. I did turn the wheel left and right while it had pressured lube flowing through it.
    this is the second time I have done this. The first time one of my cable was way froze and after about 1 1/2 days of pressure @ 100psi, lube started flowing and the cable has been great every since. Worked for me, about $8 of holes, clamps, and some parts laying around the garage and I saved about $300 in cable replacement. Now someday I might have to replace them, but so far so good.

CajunCopper
    1990 Cajun 1950 Espirit Fish and Ski
    1989 Johnson GT200

2. Member

Re: Slick (no pun intended) way to lube teleflex cables. (CajunCopper)

Great Idea! I always do this w/o air pressure, never thought of it...
    What type of lube do you use?

3. Member

Great tip Thanks for sharing

4. Member

Re: Slick (black patrick)

thats a great tip right there

5. billnorman

Re: Slick (breadslinger23)

Good thinking. I did the same without pressure, it didn't work very well. I gave up and changed to hydraulic steering. Sometimes I forget I changed it and try to pull on the wheel to stand up, but now it turns so I can't do it. Great innovation.

Re: Slick (billnorman)

7. Member

yes great tip ,I need to try it on my friends boat ,just not sure what kind of lube you are using,can you please let me know.

Thanks Bob

8. Member

Re: Slick (Bob G)

Help a friend use this system works great. we ran PB blaster threw first then napa cable lube

9. Member

Re: Slick (genemelow)

thanks Gene plenty of P.B. balster in garage that is great stuff will have to pick up some cable lube

Re: Slick (Bob G)

Nice tip!
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black patrick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of lube do you use? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't answer for Cajun, but the stuff I use can be found here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...Z2WH3

Sorry for the monster link.
    It's great stuff.
    Low enough viscosity to be workable in cold weather, but thick enough to stay where it's put.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Investor in redneck precious metals. Brass & Lead.

Re: Slick (Cable Dog)

great tip

13. Member

cajun cooper thanks for the pictures and information on the cables. What a set up. Thanks again .

14. Member

Re: Slick (larry w crouch)

Great tip if you have an air compressor. Try this method if you do not have a compressor, takes a little longer but works great. http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/4615

Great idea. I will definitely be doing that on a couple of boats this spring...Thanks, Cajun Copper....John

When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing!

16. Member

Re: Slick (Jewfish John)

great post. I know what Im doing tomorrow!
    Hans Deters

1996 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

17. Member

Re: Slick (HDETERS)

Thanks Cajun Copper. My cables are a little different than yours. The crimp on the sleeve is bigger on both the front and back of the nut, so I couln't slide it back or take it off. So I took off the front tube to my cables and used it to attach the fill tube to. Here's a link for anyone that might have the style I have. It's a Teleflex Back Mount Rack System and I believe the number is either 3950210 or 521016. Pics. in link. Looks like I have to do the whole thread.
    http://texasfishingforum.com/f...73084

Dang, I wanted to try this but I don't have a basketball goal

Good tip

19. Member

Re: Slick (no pun intended) Help did this backwards

Okay Guys so I could not figure out how to get at the cables from my Mercury motor so I tried this backwards. I pushed the PB Blaster from the front ( under dashboard at steering wheel) using this set up.

After one day the PB Blaster was gone from the clear hose which was about 28 inchs long so obviously this was a lot of PB Blaster. I really did not notice the PB Blaster spilling out the end near the motor at any fast rate. It did not make much of a difference so do I need to add 10W-30 oil or some other lubricant? Could it be that this will not work pushing the PB Blaster from the steering wheel towards the motor for some reason?

Could it be as easy as adjusting the Tension Knob under the steering wheel as this is an old 1984 Ranger Boat and has a Tension Knob?

Thnx
    Foodeefish

I did mine last weekend. All I can say is wow what a difference! My cables were a little different so I used the tube that the front cable slides in and hooked my hose to that. Set the PSI on my compressor to 80 & it took about 10 minutes for it to get all the way through the cable. My cables were getting to the point I had to use both hands at idle to turn the wheel. Now I can do it with a finger. Cleaning all the old grease out of the tubes on the motor helped as well. But this idea is pretty dang slick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast