Access / Swim Ladder

We use the boat (21’ Nitro) for swimming and am looking for a better access ladder. Even if portable we could take it in and out of the boat. Any ideas welcome. This is all I have found and it isn’t well illustrated. https://allaboardmarine.com/shop/ols...niversal-mount

2. Member
    If you are looking for a swim ladder and not a mounted ladder for emergency entry into the boat, there is an easy cheap alternative. They fold flat and can fit in most rod lockers. First you need to purchase this type of ladder- https://www.westmarine.com/west-mari...8_001_525.html There are several out there so use your own judgement what you want to spend. I highly recommend a 4 step, it will be much easier to get first foot up than a 3. The feet that stick out from the middle of the ladder step will be little use on a bass boat since they are made for a bigger runabout. You may also have to remove the lower three steps in order to get step with the feet in the correct position on the bass boat hull. Some drilling might be in order, but it's pretty simple to figure out. Once you find the best position for that step, (It may be a bit closer to the one above or below it) take of the end caps of the feet, get some wooded dowel that will fit inside, and cut it to length so the ladder stays straight up. Also get rid of those small plastic caps on the end of the feet and get some nice rubber ones. Lastly, I tie a small rope to the ladder and clip it to a cleat when swimming just to be sure it's still there when I'm ready to get in. Here is the current one I use. ladder.jpg

THANK YOU. That sounds perfect. 7” gunwale size? Not understanding the purpose of removing 3 steps to position the 4th. Is it just spacing preference?

4. Member
    If you notice, there are some extra holes in the aluminum tubes, that is where the supports were originally although I think one set was where I had them in my previous boat. They had to be moved to fit my current hull which means removing the steps to get them in the right place on the tubes. Your situation maybe completely different, but I was putting it out there to let you know a bit of small customizing may have to be done. In any event it's very easy to do to make it work. The downside is the boat will most likely have to be in the water to see how it will line up the best, so it can be a bit of trial and error to get it right. Yes I believe the 7" size was still a bit big, so it's not a perfect fit, but still very functional for your intended use.

5. Member
    If you are in boat alone, the first alternative sounds best. That model can be found less expensive, look at Great Lakes Skipper($249), R&R (rnrd.com), ebay has used ones. I have the R&R ladder, attaches to jackplate or motor mounts with no problem. It works.

6. Member
    Metalogic can custom make any ladder you want, give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by 96 Champ View Post
    Metalogic can custom make any ladder you want, give them a call
    is that a sponsor here?

8. Member
    Check out the
    all aboard ladder
    bolts to motor
    i loved it on my old boat
    1995 Ranger 482v
    2013 Mercury Pro XS 175hp

2008 Triton Tr-21x HP

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter1 View Post
    We use the boat (21’ Nitro) for swimming and am looking for a better access ladder. Even if portable we could take it in and out of the boat. Any ideas welcome. This is all I have found and it isn’t well illustrated. https://allaboardmarine.com/shop/ols...niversal-mount
    I have this ladder. well made. easy to lower for use.

10. Member
    Yes, Metalogic Inc. - www.metalogicinc.com or call 870-453-7110