Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (JBlanck)

Use some 60 grit sand paper on the tubes to rough them up. algee will grow and stick to it much faster and mature alot faster. This is a great project for clubs everywhere. I like to use 2x4 forms and build a 16" base for the concrete. It really does not take much concrete to hold the irrigation pipe to the lake bottom. Mine have not moved in 3 years.

Great post,

Ron S

2. Member
    What kind of underwater area have you all found to be the best to place these spiders?

3. Member

Re: (barbarian)

I like to drop them on flats that are deep enough they cant be seen. If deep water is close and not much other cover all the better. The hardest part is getting them to the spot. Do a couple at a time and do it really early or you will get some goofy looks and people pointing at you that just don't understand the Bass fishermans mentality.

Ron S

Re: Fish Structure (rudapa)

Great tip

5. Member
    Awesome idea! Just a suggestion though. Make sure you don't use cat food or you know what you are gonna attract! MEOW!!!

6. Member

7. Member
    Cool, but you do have to make sure you are not in violation by placing these. Some areas I fish, putting these in constitutes littering and is a fineable offense

\"Andy\", EM1 USN, Ret.

Disclaimer:
    The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this comment would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Everybody has a purpose in life... It\'s just that your sole purpose in life may be to simply serve as a warning to others.

8. Member
    When I drop structure, I like to first put out bouy markers to where I am going to place them, then I have a marker to drop them by, then I can get GPS waypoints spot on for the future. I always do it at night and in the winter time, dark and cold is the best
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

9. Member
    How long before these are "seasoned" or begin to hold fish?

TTT It's that time of the year.

Nice design!
    Les Mahan - STROKER 250 MERC

12. Member
    This idea is not new I have seen them several years ago.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish View Post
    This idea is not new I have seen them several years ago.
    Not to split hairs joefish, but this thread was started in march 2006, and it really is a good idea for peeps looking for inexpensive cover/structure that is not going to degrade.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
    Use some 60 grit sand paper on the tubes to rough them up. algee will grow and stick to it much faster and mature alot faster. This is a great project for clubs everywhere. I like to use 2x4 forms and build a 16" base for the concrete. It really does not take much concrete to hold the irrigation pipe to the lake bottom. Mine have not moved in 3 years.

Great post,
    Nice, except like the above says, if you don't ruff up the plastic it takes forever for algee to grow and without algee or large diameter pipe with holes not much cover for shad, minnows or other small critters to hide in. For those who would rather buy instead of building here is a great product and pretty inexspensive as well.

MossBackRack.com
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

We only have privately owned lakes here in southern Cali. Anyone ever get "caught" adding structure to to their lakes?

Nice
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

Has anyone tried this in Florida and how did it work...
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

It is unlawful to dump these into just any body of water in many States and Canada without a permit. Make sure it is legal where you put them and always check with your State Department of Natural Resources or local State Authorities.

Also, know that different locations (States) have different types of lakes. You may fish man-made reservoirs, impoundments and backwaters but northern states have mostly natural lakes where introduction of this type of man-made habitat is of little or no value and actually detracts from the natural beauty of the lake where water clairty can extend up to depths of 20 feet.

Many types of rivers, streams, and creeks, in some States, are another type of habitat where this type of thing is illegal, harmful to the ecosystem, and makes fishing worse not better.

19. Member
    Still need reports of how well these work???

20. mikesxpress
    SS hardware. Rotozip holes. Ballast is carried in alt container. TeeP assy is floated beside the boat and the bottom barrels are loaded with ballast to suit your conditions/current flow. Tilt slightly and fill. They sink and sit straight up as shown every time. I have over 40 of these deployed since 1985 and still fish all of them. Add a small cedar tree thru the top barrel and the fish are on them in 24 hours. 8-10 days without the tree.
    And before these folks start in,
    Attachment 81811
    they have been placed in waters (and continue to be placed) that they are legal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast